Sponsored

Deep Sleep Mode [updated with Detroit Free Press article about 12v battery drain issue]

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
Here’s my update to my battery issue:

I took my truck to the dealer at 7 am today and explained the issues that I’m having and also mentioned this forum and similar battery issues that others are having, the FREEP article regarding this issue and Ford’s acknowledgement of the issue. The SA really didn’t say much about it.

At 3 pm I get a call that my truck was done. I asked what they found and what they did. I was told they performed some kind of battery test. From this test they determined that the battery had a failed cell. They replaced the battery.

Additionally, the took care of the cluster and heated mirror/integrated trailer relay module software FSAs.

Time will tell if this solves my battery drain issues. I’m honestly not buying the battery story. Others here have had their batteries replaced only to have the same “phantom drain” issues later.

The jury is still out where I’m concerned.
The question remains... why did the battery have a failed cell? If that’s even the right answer.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
The question remains... why did the battery have a failed cell? If that’s even the right answer.
I agree. I wasn’t given a whole lot of explanation.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Not buying a dead cell.
if a failed cell, it would not start on its own under any circumstances.
dead cell on an otherwise good battery drops voltage to 10.4.
not gonna start, doors won’t unlock, lights not coming on

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I have a noco GB40 for my wife's car but want to get one for the truck, should I get the GB70 or the GB150 that read's the voltage ?
The GB50 is a nice step up in power from the GB40, the GB70 is a beast and can do large diesels. GB150 is for F-16 fighter jets. :ROFLMAO:

The 50 is more than enough, if you can get a good buy on a 70, you could jump start a car lot without recharging. I just lost my head and they had a killer sale and I got the 150. Way way over kill but hey...

I doubt they even tested the battery, Ford probably told them to just replace it because they know they got a bad batch.

Sponsored

Tobyismydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 3.5L
Here’s my update to my battery issue:

I took my truck to the dealer at 7 am today and explained the issues that I’m having and also mentioned this forum and similar battery issues that others are having, the FREEP article regarding this issue and Ford’s acknowledgement of the issue. The SA really didn’t say much about it.

At 3 pm I get a call that my truck was done. I asked what they found and what they did. I was told they performed some kind of battery test. From this test they determined that the battery had a failed cell. They replaced the battery.

Additionally, the took care of the cluster and heated mirror/integrated trailer relay module software FSAs.

Time will tell if this solves my battery drain issues. I’m honestly not buying the battery story. Others here have had their batteries replaced only to have the same “phantom drain” issues later.

The jury is still out where I’m concerned.
Same here. SM called me yesterday and was happy to tell me my dead battery was replaced at "no cost" to me under warranty. I pick it up this afternoon. Keep updating this thread. My truck would not take a jump or a charge... Time will tell, but I don't have a good feeling about this.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same here. SM called me yesterday and was happy to tell me my dead battery was replaced at "no cost" to me under warranty. I pick it up this afternoon. Keep updating this thread. My truck would not take a jump or a charge... Time will tell, but I don't have a good feeling about this.
I don’t have a good feeling either.

Did you also get the FSAs taken care of as well? In the FREEP article you’ll see that the Ford spokesperson said there’s a software update to fix the issue and to go to the dealer. It’s unclear to me if the any of the current FSAs, particularly the one about the heated mirror/trailer relay addresses the battery drain issue, or is it an FSA that is to come? I just don’t know.

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired

Did you also get the FSAs taken care of as well? In the FREEP article you’ll see that the Ford spokesperson said there’s a software update to fix the issue and to go to the dealer. It’s unclear to me if the any of the current FSAs, particularly the one about the heated mirror/trailer relay addresses the battery drain issue, or is it an FSA that is to come? I just don’t know.
Just got notice that my KR is ready to pick up after being at the dealer since last Wednesday with a 3A parasitic drain. Turns out it was a pinched wire behind the fuse panel. I was told that because the wire was pinched that it was somehow turning every module on and that was the actual cause of the drain. IE not a dead short to ground, but possibly between two wires? And to make matters worse it was before the fuse box and they couldn't find it by removing the fuses. Not sure I'm buying that, but I don't care what it was exactly as long as it's gone! But, I doubt that is the problem that others are having.

Tobyismydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 3.5L

I specifically requested the SM to perform this FSA while he had the truck. He refused, saying I had to experience the problem and set off codes before he can do the re-flash. I know, not true at all. Guess I have to wait for trailer tow season, experience a problem, and make another trip to my service department. What a disappointing start with a $50K+ vehicle.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I specifically requested the SM to perform this FSA while he had the truck. He refused, saying I had to experience the problem and set off codes before he can do the re-flash. I know, not true at all. Guess I have to wait for trailer tow season, experience a problem, and make another trip to my service department. What a disappointing start with a $50K+ vehicle.
Seriously, that is how he handled it? That seems like total BS to me. FSAs should be taken care of no matter if you’ve experienced issues or not. Maybe you need to try the service department at another dealer.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
You should ask him why Ford sent you the recall on your Ford Pass if they didn't want you to get it. I think I would have to make a call to Ford Customer Service. They might put some heat on his lazy butt!

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I never had an issue with my 2018. I now have a 2021 but haven't had any deep sleep issues. I drive my truck 5 days a week to work. Sometime I drive it on the weekend and sometimes I don't. No issues so far.

whydidI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
I know this is starting to age, but Deep Sleep has happened twice to mine in the 5 days I have owned the truck. I am curious if anyone knows if Ford monitors this site? And how we convince them to give us a warning prior to Deep Sleep so we can remote start and let it charge - like if it is sitting at the airport parking. AND how about showing the battery voltage in the app.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
Deep sleep after only 5 days of sitting means your battery is draining. Deep sleep after 2 weeks of sitting could be considered "normal." Try turning off your zone lighting from within the truck.

whydidI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
Deep sleep after only 5 days of sitting means your battery is draining. Deep sleep after 2 weeks of sitting could be considered "normal." Try turning off your zone lighting from within the truck.
Thanks. I think I have turned it off, but will check again after work. I know I saw a message in FordPass about that. So...
1. Isn't that was the OTA update was for?
2. How do we know if we have that update?
3. Does anyone know why they wouldn't/couldn't provide us the voltage in the app and give us a warning ahead of time to be able to start it and charge it?
Sponsored