Deciding which mirrors to order

OP
OP

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
+2 on this, I had trailer mirrors on my 2016 and had a couple close calls in parking lots with this exact situation. My '20 I went to the standard mirrors and really liked them, the standard mirrors on my '21 are ok but I liked the last gen's better. Overall I am still happy I went with the standard mirrors as everything I tow is narrow enough I have no issues seeing with them. No question the tow mirrors can't be beat for rearward visibility but the blindspot is too big of a trade off for my needs.
That's really useful info.
If I tow something, it likely won't be that large either, but I don't want to be in a situation where I get in an accident because of the big honking mirror that I don't even need. Thank you
Sponsored

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
After having both, I personally like and order the tow mirrors, I do not like car mirrors on a truck. It would depend on what your most comfortable with.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I debated the same. Although the look took a bit to grow on me, the visibility of the tow mirrors is a game changer. You are getting lariat so the auto folding and scoping out is a major plus (unlike mine, ugh) when getting in tight spaces.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
For me, tow mirrors only. When towing, the view is 100x better. When not towing, the view all around is 1000x better. No more blind spots. You may have a "front blind spot" when turning if you stare straight ahead and don't move your head a little, but it takes about a minute to get use to that.

Plus, the standard mirrors are way too small for a truck this size. If this truck came in lime green, it would look like Shrek with the little goofy ears. :LOL: Why put civic mirrors on a full size truck?

Sponsored

NoCo150

First Name
KD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Agreed, but I don't think it's a bad look. I think it looks pretty rugged. As long as they don't put the chrome caps on there with the black sport package.

2021-tow.PNG
I have the sport package and mine do have the chrome caps, its the only chrome on the truck….. Time for some spray paint…

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
I have never had any issue with my tow mirrors blocking my view of other vehicles, or coming close to causing an accident. They improve my all around vision and have saved me from accidents.

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
I only tow my bass boat and a small 5x8 box trailer on occasion, but I am glad I ordered my Lariat with tow mirrors...well worth $250. it would be hard for me to go back to regular mirrors now.

And my 501A tow mirrors came with chrome skull caps even though I did not get the chrome package.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I’m actually considering the expense of adding tow mirrors after the fact because I’m not a big fan of the new mirrors. I had a 16, 18 &20 and those were perfect. I bought my Lariat 502 off the lot, so I got what I got. One of my concerns with the tow is wind noise. I’m just curious if anyone has anything to offer as far as that goes.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I’m actually considering the expense of adding tow mirrors after the fact because I’m not a big fan of the new mirrors. I had a 16, 18 &20 and those were perfect. I bought my Lariat 502 off the lot, so I got what I got. One of my concerns with the tow is wind noise. I’m just curious if anyone has anything to offer as far as that goes.
I notice zero wind noise from the tow mirrors. In fact, my F150 with tow mirrors is a quieter ride then my Jag E-Pace and my Audi S7. Ford really built a quiet cabin.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
That's my concern, even more so when I let my wife who is already uncomfortable driving a full-size.

Are the F-150 mirrors smaller than the super-duty mirrors?
Those mirrors will only aid in her ability to drive the truck safely.

No, they're the same. The cabs are the same as well.

OP
OP

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
I debated the same. Although the look took a bit to grow on me, the visibility of the tow mirrors is a game changer. You are getting lariat so the auto folding and scoping out is a major plus (unlike mine, ugh) when getting in tight spaces.
I just changed to the XLT because it seems that the dual exhaust that comes with the Black Package is only on the XLT. I didn't realize that they were manual fold on the XLT. Nope, not doing that!

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I just changed to the XLT because it seems that the dual exhaust that comes with the Black Package is only on the XLT. I didn't realize that they were manual fold on the XLT. Nope, not doing that!
good move lol! Yeah I ordered mine out of state, and due to great deal I didn’t bother looking, I assumed it was auto folding. Got it quoted at a couple Ford dealers to convert them to auto-fold at around $4-5k not including “reprogramming”… which to me I rather just trade it in before I spent that lol

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
I don't think that's the case. See below from the order guide.

Ford F-150 Deciding which mirrors to order 1634927934881

OP
OP

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
I don't think that's the case. See below from the order guide.
It looks like you are right and my sales guy was wrong. But either way, it's probably better I save a few bucks somewhere. I wonder if they have the same grill between all the black appearance packages.
Sponsored