Sponsored

Deciding which mirrors to order

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
I've owned a couple of F-150's and working on ordering a 2022 Lariat with the Sport/black appearance package. I'm trying to decide which mirrors to order. The stock ones look smaller than previous year's mirrors, and to be honest, I think they look cheap. The camera hanging off the bottom edge looks out of place, like a total afterthought.

Now I don't have plans to tow, but the truck will be capable, so it could happen. That said, I don't need the trailer towing mirrors, but I feel that they look so much better.

My concern though, is will I be annoyed by having these larger mirrors? Do they create new blindspots to be ware of?

I think out of all the manufactures, Ford does the trailer mirrors the best. The new chevy ones look goofy and don't get me started on the Dodge ones, lol!

Ford F-150 Deciding which mirrors to order 20211019_091901
Sponsored

Last edited:

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2019 Expedition
I have tow mirrors on my current 2012. Last year I was looking at a '20 and I could have lived with the standard mirrors on them, but then the '21's came and those are way too small for me. I love having the ability to see behind me and along side my truck with tow mirrors. I have them on my order that's on the way.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Whatever floats your boat. Me, I can't stand the looks personally. I've towed enclosed car trailers, open car trailers and boats either with standard mirrors or with clip ons. That way the other 99% of the time that I'm not towing I don't have the big elephant ears hanging off the side of a little half ton.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
I ordered mine with them and subsequently changed to the standard mirrors. I test drove a Lariat that had them and I thought they were fantastic but when I got home I realized to get in and out of my garage they would need to be folded in so I decided to change my order. I also always thought they looked to big. Short answer is if you think they look good I'd go for it.

bgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
I’m not thrilled about either option. I like the standard mirrors on my 2016. They seem like the right size.

Going smaller doesn’t seem right on the truck. I went with the tow mirrors for my 2022 order but debated the choice and am still not sure I made the right one.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I wish you could order mirrors that were in between, the standard mirrors are too small for my taste and the tow mirrors are too big. my previous two trucks and my van all had tow mirrors but they weren't the compound big rig tractor trailer mirrors my truck has. The mirrors on my Lincoln Navigator are too small and would be more appropriate on a Honda Civic than a big SUV. The Dodge and Chevy tow mirrors were a good size, roughly 50% larger than the standard mirrors. The Super-Duty mirrors are probably 2.5X as big as the standard F-150 mirrors and have a blind spot the size of a truck when you are turning into cross traffic, so you need to move your whole head like an owl to make sure that there's nothing hiding behind the huge mirrors.

People like to drive in the middle of the street where I live and I already clipped my passenger mirror on a steel bus mirror bracket and the bus mirror won, the pivot is too stiff and the turn signal lens on the mirror was cracked as a result. I won't bother replacing it, since I can guarantee that it will happen again during city driving.

Given the choice, I would still opt for the tow mirrors, in my opinion; neither mirror choice is ideal.

OP
OP

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
... I thought they were fantastic but when I got home I realized to get in and out of my garage they would need to be folded in so I decided to change my order. I also always thought they looked to big. Short answer is if you think they look good I'd go for it.
I'm just trying to see how those with experience feel about them.

I'll have to fold them to get in the garage, but the good thing, I think, is that the camera stays in position on the trailer tow mirrors, so I'm hoping I can use that when the mirrors are folded in.

OP
OP

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
The Super-Duty mirrors are probably 2.5X as big as the standard F-150 mirrors and have a blind spot the size of a truck when you are turning into cross traffic, so you need to move your whole head like an owl to make sure that there's nothing hiding behind the huge mirrors.
That's my concern, even more so when I let my wife who is already uncomfortable driving a full-size.

Are the F-150 mirrors smaller than the super-duty mirrors?

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
I have the tow mirrors, and while I'm not thrilled about how they look, I'm very often thinking to myself how much I like them. The visibility they offer is fantastic. Between the larger upper mirror and bottom convex mirror, you have nearly a complete picture of what's beside you. I do have to fold/unfold every time I pull into the garage, but they're powered, so it's not a big deal.

I'm at a point where I care more about my driving experience and the interior comforts than I am about what everyone else thinks about the looks of my truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hilltop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT
I'm at a point where I care more about my driving experience and the interior comforts than I am about what everyone else thinks about the looks of my truck.
Agreed, but I don't think it's a bad look. I think it looks pretty rugged. As long as they don't put the chrome caps on there with the black sport package.

Ford F-150 Deciding which mirrors to order 2021-tow.PNG

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
Agreed, but I don't think it's a bad look. I think it looks pretty rugged. As long as they don't put the chrome caps on there with the black sport package.
Not sure about '22, but the '21 Lariat Sports did come chrome capped.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Are the F-150 mirrors smaller than the super-duty mirrors?
Pretty sure that the tow mirrors are identical to the Super-Duty mirrors.

The cross traffic blind-spot is big enough that a point and shoot driver could get in trouble. There's been several times now where I am turning left from an alley thinking I am the only person on the road and all of a sudden there's a grille and headlights appearing out of my A-pillar that had been going the perfect speed to stay obscured by the tow mirrors and their bulky supports. It's no big deal, since I just take my foot off the gas but for someone that just goes for it, it could be bad if the other driver decided to hit the brakes.

Chease44

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat - Star White 3.5 Eco 157” WB
Pretty sure that the tow mirrors are identical to the Super-Duty mirrors.

The cross traffic blind-spot is big enough that a point and shoot driver could get in trouble. There's been several times now where I am turning left from an alley thinking I am the only person on the road and all of a sudden there's a grille and headlights appearing out of my A-pillar that had been going the perfect speed to stay obscured by the tow mirrors and their bulky supports. It's no big deal, since I just take my foot off the gas but for someone that just goes for it, it could be bad if the other driver decided to hit the brakes.
+2 on this, I had trailer mirrors on my 2016 and had a couple close calls in parking lots with this exact situation. My '20 I went to the standard mirrors and really liked them, the standard mirrors on my '21 are ok but I liked the last gen's better. Overall I am still happy I went with the standard mirrors as everything I tow is narrow enough I have no issues seeing with them. No question the tow mirrors can't be beat for rearward visibility but the blindspot is too big of a trade off for my needs.
Sponsored