• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealers not charging deposits

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
My reservation is with Ted Britt in Fairfax. I’ve emailed the salesman I bought my explorer from, the new car sales manager, and the GM. Zero response. Apparently I’m asking the wrong questions, but it’s time to find a new dealer.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
My reservation is with Ted Britt in Fairfax. I’ve emailed the salesman I bought my explorer from, the new car sales manager, and the GM. Zero response. Apparently I’m asking the wrong questions, but it’s time to find a new dealer.
I think it is putting in writing that is the problem for some of them. It just does not go with the spirit of salesmanship.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I think it is putting in writing that is the problem for some of them. It just does not go with the spirit of salesmanship.
Totally agree, I tried to steer clear of that in my email. Really was just trying start a conversation and learn about the ordering process. I've always bought from dealer stock or had them swap from another dealer never a custom order.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
When I ordered my truck from Granger they required a $500 refundable deposit.

All the dealers where I live require the non-refundable.
We paid the same $500 refundable deposit when ordering our Bronco Sport through Granger. They were great to work with. That is also where I have my reservations for my big Bronco and personal Lightning truck. I have another retail Lightning reservation and a commercial reservation for a Lighting Pro with a local dealership who also does $500 deposits on order — fully refundable. They just take the deposit at the time of order more as a means of securing the deal. The local dealership normally converts their deposits to non-refundable once a VIN is assigned to the order, which is the point of no return for configuration and delivery changes. Although they’re not doing that with anything right now because of all the chip/part shortages and long lead times. Doubly so on the Bronco….

I think the way many dealerships have conducted themselves through the whole Bronco launch and now with the Lightning is just disgusting. Shop around, don’t play games…. You can always move a reservation to a different dealerships without losing your time stamp. Dealership is not set until order is placed on a specific allocation.

Sponsored

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Kia Optima, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Did they tell you about other fees? Do you mind sharing the name of the person you communicated with? You could PM if you do not wish to post here.

My default dealer was Apple Ford in Columbia, MD:

No Deposit required. Your original $100 is refundable.
Doc fees: $500
Title and Tag: $351
ADM: Expect to be $10K-$15K

No one knew much about lightening. Despite their good reviews, 4 out of 5 people I dealt with was a bad experience. As you can imagine I am dealer shopping and hoping I could do as much of this online as possible.

I think Apple Ford sales folks are selling Tesla’s like hot cakes.
I emailed the sales GM at Apple Ford and never got a response. Where did you change your reservation to?

I got an email stating a price of no more than MSRP from the sales GM at Bob Davidson Ford.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I emailed the sales GM at Apple Ford and never got a response. Where did you change your reservation to?

I got an email stating a price of no more than MSRP from the sales GM at Bob Davidson Ford.
With Apple Ford, the first salesperson that initially called me asked me what kind of engine I prefer? If I like eco boost? That was after 10-15 minutes of me talking about charging rates and V to H features of lightening.

Three of their sales staff were unresponsive. I finally walked in to talk to the manager (sales manager), he was a few steps away but would not get up to talk to me for a minute. The sales man at the door was running interference and was the only one I had any meaningful communication with which later in an email confirmed the information he gave me in person (what I have posted here)

I am planning to call a few and see what their fees are and basically how their total out of pocket compare but have not had a chance yet.

Bob Davidson Ford and Bob Bell were recommended here due to zero ADM but I am not sure what their fees are yet. Once I have new info, I will make sure to share. We just need to make sure there is no bait and switch and communication is clear with them.

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With Apple Ford, the first salesperson that initially called me asked me what kind of engine I prefer? If I like eco boost? That was after 10-15 minutes of me talking about charging rates and V to H features of lightening.

Three of their sales staff were unresponsive. I finally walked in to talk to the manager (sales manager), he was a few steps away but would not get up to talk to me for a minute. The sales man at the door was running interference and was the only one I had any meaningful communication with which later in an email confirmed the information he gave me in person (what I have posted here)

I am planning to call a few and see what their fees are and basically how their total out of pocket compare but have not had a chance yet.

Bob Davidson Ford and Bob Bell were recommended here due to zero ADM but I am not sure what their fees are yet. Once I have new info, I will make sure to share. We just need to make sure there is no bait and switch and communication is clear with them.
Got it. Sounds like a normal dealership. There is an unwritten rule that whatever sales person speaks to a customer first, gets their potential sale. That’s why they hound you by the door.

I am the one who has a reservation with Bob Davidson, but I can’t really recommended them yet. It’s not Bc if a bad experience, it’s due to a lack of dealing with them so far beyond what they have told me.

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Got it. Sounds like a normal dealership. There is an unwritten rule that whatever sales person speaks to a customer first, gets their potential sale. That’s why they hound you by the door.

I am the one who has a reservation with Bob Davidson, but I can’t really recommended them yet. It’s not Bc if a bad experience, it’s due to a lack of dealing with them so far beyond what they have told me.
I also have a reservation with Bob Davidson and have never dealt with them before so I can only take what is publicly available. Their google reviews page is mixed for BEV sales (one glowing one bad) on the Mach-E which makes me cautious either way but it seems like its more for on the lot sales markups and not Ford online orders.

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also have a reservation with Bob Davidson and have never dealt with them before so I can only take what is publicly available. Their google reviews page is mixed for BEV sales (one glowing one bad) on the Mach-E which makes me cautious either way but it seems like its more for on the lot sales markups and not Ford online orders.
My wife's family purchased several vehicles through with them which is why I decided to go with them, but I do feel the same way. I've emailed with Blake Schindler (looks like he's the owner's son) a couple times and he seems very transparent.

So far he has told me in writing that 1) the max they will charge is MSRP, 2) X-plan is to be determined still (they are unsure as most dealers are), and 3) $500 non-refundable deposit (however, he would give it back if in cases of severe hardship (loss of job)).

Unlike Apple Ford who hasn't emailed me back at all.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I found myself at Interstate Ford in Dacono, CO. They are telling me that it will be a $500 refundable deposit. They also promised me there will be no ADM. XPlan will be honored IF Ford allows it. I haven't bought from this dealer before (I haven't lived here long enough) but I've used their service dept for my Raptor with zero issues. The sales guys I've spoken with in the past haven't BS'ed me yet so I'm going to give them a shot.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I just switched my dealer.

This is a reference For Marylanders. I have tried 4 dealers:

Apple Ford: $10K-$15K ADM in writing (GM and most of their sales staff were unresponsive)
Koons Ford, Baltimore: emaild GM. No response
Preston Ford West: emaild GM. No response
Bob Bell: emailed GM following was the response in writing:

No ADM
Fees: Tax, Tags, $500 Doc fee
Once they get pricing, they may require a $500 refundable deposit.

Edit: I confused Bob Davison with Koons Ford. I made the fix above. I never contacted Bob Davidson.

Last edited:

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical

Apple Ford: $10K-$15K ADM in writing (GM and most of their sales staff were unresponsive)
Bob Davidson Ford: emaild GM. No response

No ADM
Try Chapman Ford near Philly

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Bob Davidson Ford: emaild GM. No response

No ADM
Nice, that's a pretty comprehensive list for Marylanders. As long as you emailed Blake (from Bob Davidson), I'm sure he will get back to you today....hopefully :rolleyes:. He usually emailed me the same day.

RexTX

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang Shelby GT, 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
I'm in Texas. I decided to buy a PB back in March. I started with the Costco program. the two Ford dealers in my area that were doing Costco ignored the program and quoted me like any other customer. Wanted me to come down and go over the options in person. I already had my truck spec'd on the Ford site.
So I emailed a few other local dealers with my spec list, showing invoice and MSRP with incentives priced in. Most tried to get me into the traditional sales model.
One though - the closest to me, responded quickly. Sales manager wrote back "I'll order whatever you want for $500 off invoice". We went back and forth and settled on an exact price for exactly what I wanted. I went there next day to finalize the deal. A handshake, no signature, no deposit.
Of course, it took 5 months to get here, but it was exactly what i wanted and they honored the original deal, even though they could have sold it for thousands more the same day.
Great experience. Rick Dykes Five Star Ford, N Richland Hills TX
Sponsored