Dealer sold my custom order truck!!

kman67

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150?
I ordered my truck in November and it finally arrived on Thursday (Feb 11th). My dealer called and let me know that it had to go through inspection. Friday he called and said it had an error code and was waiting from Ford for info and that I probably couldn't get it until today(monday feb 15th). He called this morning and said that my truck was sold to someone else. "Apparently" they fixed the truck on Saturday and brought it out front, where another dealer sold it on spot(he had saturday off). So, I need to order this truck again and wait another 2 months, or 1 month if they can rush it. What can I do? I have a buddy that gave me Ford Corporate's # to call and file a complaint, but is that the right direction? I did put a $500 deposit down when I ordered it.
Sponsored

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
WHAT KIND OF BULL CRAP IS THAT!

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
That's terrible. I don't know what the best recourse is but I sure wouldn't want to give my business to that dealer. Somebody should have known that it was a custom ordered truck and stopped that sale. I'm sorry man, hopefully they make it right somehow.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
That is INSANE!! I guess you could start with calling corporate. However, what did the dealer offer you? Anything???

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
That dealer may be between a rock and a hard place.
you had money on it, it was yours.
I think they had best make an impeccable deal.
not sure if you had one before, but it will need to be vastly improved on.
Ford Corp might have something to say about this if it had a Special Order sticker on it

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
I ordered my truck in November and it finally arrived on Thursday (Feb 11th). My dealer called and let me know that it had to go through inspection. Friday he called and said it had an error code and was waiting from Ford for info and that I probably couldn't get it until today(monday feb 15th). He called this morning and said that my truck was sold to someone else. "Apparently" they fixed the truck on Saturday and brought it out front, where another dealer sold it on spot(he had saturday off). So, I need to order this truck again and wait another 2 months, or 1 month if they can rush it. What can I do? I have a buddy that gave me Ford Corporate's # to call and file a complaint, but is that the right direction? I did put a $500 deposit down when I ordered it.
I suspect my dealer tried to pull this shit as well. Dealerships do nothing but stand in the way of my money and what I want to spend it on. Oh well, next vehicle purchase will likely be a Tesla. Hopefully their sales model shakes up the rest of the industry.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I don’t believe for a second that they “mistakenly” sold your truck. I’d wager someone offered msrp and they sold it. I’d get a lawyer to read all the fine print of your deal and take my winnings to another dealer.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I believe that the small print works in the benefit of the dealer. That’s why, even though I ordered a single cab long bed with tan interior and $10,000 in options; I went down to the dealer even before it went through pre delivery inspection.

At the very least, I didn’t want any other salesman taking customers out on joyrides. The truck belongs to the dealer even if it’s a customer’s order until you sign the pink slip. Sad but true and another reason to abolish the dealership system. Since not even the car manufacturers can do much about a bad dealer. There has been precedent in the form of lawsuits for rare sports cars and the bottom line is the customer isn’t entitled to anything. They can even add on dealer markups to customer orders if they decide to. They may not keep many customers that way but a lot of dealers operate on the “now rather than later” principal, not giving a rats behind about returning customers.

Hopefully there’s another dealer in your area that you can order your next truck from. Get your deposit back and tell them what they can do with themselves. Write a well tempered review for any other potential customers who need to know this dealer won’t honor their word. Any excuse is just a smoke screen, they knew exactly what they were doing and I fear that with the new Bronco, there will be a lot of this happening.

Good luck with your next truck. At least you won’t have to worry about a rusty rear axle!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...next vehicle purchase will likely be a Tesla. Hopefully their sales model shakes up the rest of the industry.
The Tesla situation is a unique one and not likely to transfer to established marques. With dealerships, it’s an anti competitive system, made to protect the dealership system, state laws are written that expressly forbid manufacturers from selling their own products. Should the Tesla exception hold up in the higher courts however, it’s possible that the system may be abolished or slowly reform.

One of my current state’s most corrupt governors also ran a dealership and published a newspaper!

Also, look up ‘right to repair’ and Tesla, you‘re only avoiding one corrupt system by going through that route. They’re following the iPhone model and don’t want you dealing with anyone but them, even for simple repairs.

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Was it ordered as a retrial order or a dealer stock order? What was the vin? I’m very curious how they messed this up!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Something is fishy. The window sticker should have been green not blue, which is easily recognizable for any dealer. Also I would suspect when they pull it up in the system it should say retail order and have the customer name. Seems to me it would not require one mistake, but multiple "mistakes" over a couple of hours....

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
The Tesla situation is a unique one and not likely to transfer to established marques. With dealerships, it’s an anti competitive system, made to protect the dealership system, state laws are written that expressly forbid manufacturers from selling their own products. Should the Tesla exception hold up in the higher courts however, it’s possible that the system may be abolished or slowly reform.

One of my current state’s most corrupt governors also ran a dealership and published a newspaper!

Also, look up ‘right to repair’ and Tesla, you‘re only avoiding one corrupt system by going through that route. They’re following the iPhone model and don’t want you dealing with anyone but them, even for simple repairs.
Good point about right to repair. I have heard Tesla has issues with this but never looked in to it much. Also not a fan of pure software lockouts but I think that's mostly market driven right now. Example: I believe several different model 3 trims have the same hardware but a single software variable gives one trim more range or available power than the other.
Sponsored