Dealer Crashed Into My Truck

Hemmy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Raptor
Took my truck to a dealer for an oil change, power inverter fan noise, clicking muffler noise and the drive shaft recall. One of their workers was pulling another truck out that was parked next to mine and swiped my truck's rear bumper causing damage to the bumper and scratching the taillight. I have not seen it yet, but definitely not happy about this. They told me the body shop guy said he could buff out the scratch from the taillight, but I am kind of questioning this.
I know it is an accident and there is not much they can do but fix it right.
What would you tell them about the whole situation?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hemmy

Hemmy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Raptor
Get photos before they fix anything for your records.
This is a new Raptor, so they don't have the parts. They have to order them or at least the bumper. I am not crazy about them trying to just buff out a scratch on the taillight. IMO, this should be a new taillight. I will definitely get some pictures though.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
This is a new Raptor, so they don't have the parts. They have to order them or at least the bumper. I am not crazy about them trying to just buff out a scratch on the taillight. IMO, this should be a new taillight. I will definitely get some pictures though.
It really depends on the "scratch" you can mar a taillight pretty good without actually digging into it. That could be buffed out but anything more than that I'd be suspect. Like stated above get picks and make sure the fix meets your standards.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Took my truck to a dealer for an oil change, power inverter fan noise, clicking muffler noise and the drive shaft recall. One of their workers was pulling another truck out that was parked next to mine and swiped my truck's rear bumper causing damage to the bumper and scratching the taillight. I have not seen it yet, but definitely not happy about this. They told me the body shop guy said he could buff out the scratch from the taillight, but I am kind of questioning this.
I know it is an accident and there is not much they can do but fix it right.
What would you tell them about the whole situation?
Good afternoon, Jeff! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these taillight and bumper scratch concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

Scrambler68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB F150
I had a tech at a dealer let my old truck down off a lift with the engine running and the truck in gear. The tech got pinned between the truck and the lift and broke several ribs.

I let the body shop at the dealer fix it. They had to paint it twice to get the color right. Ended up looking great but it never showed up on any reporting service and didn’t decrease the value when I traded it in. If yours get reported, you should ask for diminished value based on what your state allows.

Ford F-150 Dealer Crashed Into My Truck DEC1A607-9A10-4F75-A024-36F6D8EB6D50
Ford F-150 Dealer Crashed Into My Truck AF141834-8810-422B-85B2-EA3AB31C9D2D
Ford F-150 Dealer Crashed Into My Truck 1358BEA5-6CC3-4665-A1C2-2985DECF157C

OP
OP
Hemmy

Hemmy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Raptor
I had a tech at a dealer let my old truck down off a lift with the engine running and the truck in gear. The tech got pinned between the truck and the lift and broke several ribs.

I let the body shop at the dealer fix it. They had to paint it twice to get the color right. Ended up looking great but it never showed up on any reporting service and didn’t decrease the value when I traded it in. If yours get reported, you should ask for diminished value based on what your state allows.

DEC1A607-9A10-4F75-A024-36F6D8EB6D50.jpeg
AF141834-8810-422B-85B2-EA3AB31C9D2D.jpeg
1358BEA5-6CC3-4665-A1C2-2985DECF157C.jpeg
That’s a lot worse than mine for sure. They are fixing it and not reporting it to Carfax. They are replacing the damaged parts with new.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
New parts, regardless of how minor the scratch on the light is. Scratch could reappear again later.

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired

I had a body shop owner tell me that white is the hardest to match. Isn't that crazy?

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing

Wow, I'm glad the tech survived! That's why I'm the military we have all these red flags, covers, etc; saying do this before flight, service, etc. Sometimes we're just in too much of a hurry. I would want to talk to my Service Manager and the techs and ensure my work environment was as it should be for safe operations. Accidents happen, but they shouldn't happen again.

Scrambler68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB F150
Wow, I'm glad the tech survived! That's why I'm the military we have all these red flags, covers, etc; saying do this before flight, service, etc. Sometimes we're just in too much of a hurry. I would want to talk to my Service Manager and the techs and ensure my work environment was as it should be for safe operations. Accidents happen, but they shouldn't happen again.
Yeah, it was bad. The tech was out of work for months. He wasn’t a young guy either. He was one of the most experienced techs in that shop but he made a stupid mistake. I’m just glad he wasn’t killed.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
You would be surprised how many vehicles I inspect with "Clean" Carfax and anything from one panel is 19mils thick in spots from filler, to a Duramax High Country 4x4 with mud under the engine cover and otherwise spotless engine. Go into the spotless cab and pull up the sill cover and molding damp carpet pad. Then higher up, on the 4x4 selector switch. Turns out, $60k truck was a Houston flood victim. The dealer bought it at auction, went through their 60 point Inspection and was front row for sale. The dealer ended up just sending it back through Pensacola Manheim auction without disclaiming what I found. Carfax can be good, but nothing substitutes a trained experienced visual inspection.

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I would handle it just like any other accident, get insurance info, get independent quotes, etc.
This!! Remember the dealer is going to tell their body shop to repair it for the least amount of money possible.
Sponsored