• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealer Allocation

WillProgram4Cash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning (CANCELED)
I just called my local dealer (Selah Washington) and asked about their allocation. He informed me that they have 2 for this year. I am 4 out of 77 on the list. So it looks like I will not be getting a Lightning this year:( I'm disappointed since I reserved my lightning 3 1/2 hours after it was announced. I wonder how much weight the reservation order has when ordering a truck this year.
Sponsored

Jaspernuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 mustang
Better than my small dealer. I was told they are getting 0 2022 model year.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I just called my local dealer (Selah Washington) and asked about their allocation. He informed me that they have 2 for this year. I am 4 out of 77 on the list. So it looks like I will not be getting a Lightning this year:( I'm disappointed since I reserved my lightning 3 1/2 hours after it was announced. I wonder how much weight the reservation order has when ordering a truck this year.
That sucks, I'm sorry. Hopefully a couple people in front of you drop out. These allocation numbers we are hearing seem very inconsistent and unpredictable.

lowercontrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Mustang
I was told the following from my dealership of choice, which is located in the Nortwestern surburbs of Chicago (way northern subs - almost Wisconsin).

We are only allocated 2 Lightnings, and both are spoken for. The EV states get a vast majority of the Lightning allocations based on some agreement with the Feds.

I have no idea if this is true as this is the first I've heard of it. I also find it hard to believe that this tiny dealership already had 2 reservation before mine, when I reserved seconds into the presentation but I suppose is possible. It believe I was bumped because they prioritized people ahead of me. Makes me reevaulate my whole belief about getting in "early".

My fault for thinking it was first come first serve.

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
The EV states get a vast majority of the Lightning allocations based on some agreement with the Feds.
this part isn't surprising. i live in CO and when i bought a RAV 4 Prime in 2020 i had to get it from MA.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
this part isn't surprising. i live in CO and when i bought a RAV 4 Prime in 2020 i had to get it from MA.
Agreed - the ZEV states do get a larger share if not all.

My Clarity PHEV originally sold in most states in 2018, but by the 2020 model, they only sold them in CA, even though they can be sold in all 50 states. Made it impractical (shipping) them to a state outside CA.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah ZEV states get priority because Ford saves extra money ($2-3k per vehicle is what I have seen around) for each BEV sold in a ZEV state because they don't need to buy offset credits from Tesla. You can always petition your state elected officials to become a ZEV state.

lowercontrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Mustang
Yeah ZEV states get priority because Ford saves extra money ($2-3k per vehicle is what I have seen around) for each BEV sold in a ZEV state because they don't need to buy offset credits from Tesla. You can always petition your state elected officials to become a ZEV state.
I wasn't alluding to the fact that I thought the dealership was blowing smoke up my ass. With the vague allotment discussions going on, it was the first I heard of that being a factor. So thought it was interesting.

Secondly, I'm more upset at the fact that I let myself assume that getting my reserveration in extermely early meant I would all but gaurantee a MY22. I was unaware they could priortize people ahead of me, making me question what sort of benefit there was for me being an early adopter to begin with. I guess I still have a reservation that I can use to order one, eventually.

Last edited:

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Yeah, but don’t they only have to sell a certain number (or%of total sales) to satisfy the ZEV requirements? And whatever Lightnings they produce above that could go anywhere in the country because it wouldn’t get Ford any extra bonus with the ZEV states? Unless they themselves want to become a seller of ZEV credits of course.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I live in a non-ZEV state that received Mach-Es and ID.4s. We also can see that folks in other non-ZEV states were able to place orders. I'm not so sure we should freak out about allocations yet--my dealer swears he can't even see a priority list or follow the steps to check wave invites.

Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, but don’t they only have to sell a certain number (or%of total sales) to satisfy the ZEV requirements? And whatever Lightnings they produce above that could go anywhere in the country because it wouldn’t get Ford any extra bonus with the ZEV states? Unless they themselves want to become a seller of ZEV credits of course.
Yes, but the percentage goes up every year and they can be banked for future years. In 2025 they hit 22%. I think wants every one they can get.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
Yes, but the percentage goes up every year and they can be banked for future years. In 2025 they hit 22%. I think wants every one they can get.
I know that a lot of people here are really up to date on all the EV stuff, but this will be my first EV that I've ever considered, so most of this is all new to me.

I know it's too soon to know anything for sure, but I can't help but feel a little irritated that Ford will get tremendous benefits from tax credits and from EV states, but absolutely nothing in Ford's marketing anywhere (at least that I've seen) implies anything about it being difficult to snag a Lightning in certain states.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I know that a lot of people here are really up to date on all the EV stuff, but this will be my first EV that I've ever considered, so most of this is all new to me.

I know it's too soon to know anything for sure, but I can't help but feel a little irritated that Ford will get tremendous benefits from tax credits and from EV states, but absolutely nothing in Ford's marketing anywhere (at least that I've seen) implies anything about it being difficult to snag a Lightning in certain states.
Given their ramp in production, I expect it will get much easier in 2023 and 2024 - the demand level just really hit them by surprise. I bet they anticipated little if any demand outside of ZEV states.

Edit: Also - it isn't a tax credit, it is avoiding a penalty.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I think this was based on a dealer email, not official Ford communication. I'm not saying it's wrong--it honestly makes sense for them to do this--but take it with a grain of salt.
Sponsored