Sponsored

Dead Ford Battery. Every few weeks. Replaced with Die Hard

bigbulls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Thank You for that info. That is how I have it a quick connect bolted to the post so I can just plug in when the truck is parked without even opening the hood.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thank You for that info. That is how I have it a quick connect bolted to the post so I can just plug in when the truck is parked without even opening the hood.
It would need to be connected on the "outside" of the negative terminal's battery management sensor. So NOT contacting the post-clamp with the red arrow.
The blue circled cable end is on the correct side of the sensor.

Ford F-150 Dead Ford Battery. Every few weeks. Replaced with Die Hard 20230415_080841

Of course you could use a ground point somewhere on the truck instead

Ford F-150 Dead Ford Battery. Every few weeks. Replaced with Die Hard 20230415_080826

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
The above is all great info. I can have a fully charged battery, back into the shop where I park it and hook the charger ( Noco Genius10 smart charger) and in a few minutes it says fully charged and I leave it hooked up, but then in 48 hours the truck goes into deep sleep to conserve battery or that's what Ford pass says. Just seems odd since it can't need to conserve battery since it's plugged in. This isn't a power boost truck just a regular 2023 ecoboost with a 1000 miles on it.
Ah. This clarifies a couple of things. Earlier, you mentioned that you were using a “trickle” charger which I thought might not be enough to resuscitate a depleted battery on a truck that isn’t driven much. That NOCO is not a trickle charger. I have one of these, too. It should be sufficient.

As for the deep sleep, that is a more interesting problem because if the only deep sleep notice you’re getting is on the FordPass app and you aren’t seeing it on the Sync screen when you try to start the truck, it might be a false alarm. Your battery might be perfectly ok but you have something wrong with the TCU. Buggy software or a bad module can cause the TCU to shut down and the server thinks your truck went into deep sleep because it stopped communicating even though it’s perfectly healthy electrically. Happened to me when I first bought my truck. Something as simple as updating the TCU software might very well fix the problem.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Is it normal for the truck to go into deep sleep after 48 hours of not being started? I put a trickle charger on when I park and it still goes into deep sleep after 48 hours or do I have a bad battery?
It's not normal for any vehicle to deep sleep or not start in such a short timeframe - Powerboost included.

Though it seems a common occurrence/problem with the batteries in these trucks. 🙁

As a reference, our nearly 2-year old, 20K miles PB is left alone for 1-2 weeks several times a year and has never had battery/charging/starting/sleeping issues.

It's odd how some dealers seem to replace these batteries without hassle, and others seem very unwilling to do so.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Makes me want to get an Older vehicle again. Perhaps an older f250. But for now I will see how the new battery works with in the belly of this cyborg truck
Those good old days of kettering ignition systems and alternators that were set to the battery curves by the resistor installed... just turn the key and... well I guess the choke needed to work too... :)

Sponsored

bigbulls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
It would need to be connected on the "outside" of the negative terminal's battery management sensor. So NOT contacting the post-clamp with the red arrow.
The blue circled cable end is on the correct side of the sensor.

20230415_080841.jpg

Of course you could use a ground point somewhere on the truck instead

20230415_080826.jpg
I have the negative mounted right where you have the extra black wire mounted on your battery. So can I update the TCU with forscan or is that something that the dealer will need to do? Or are there other ways to do it?

bigbulls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
It's not normal for any vehicle to deep sleep or not start in such a short timeframe - Powerboost included.

Though it seems a common occurrence/problem with the batteries in these trucks. 🙁

As a reference, our nearly 2-year old, 20K miles PB is left alone for 1-2 weeks several times a year and has never had battery/charging/starting/sleeping issues.

It's odd how some dealers seem to replace these batteries without hassle, and others seem very unwilling to do so.
This is why I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I had one of the first 2017 Raptors and it would only go into deep sleep if I left it in the shop not used for 4-6 weeks or it might have even been longer.

OP
OP
CaliF150

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is why I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I had one of the first 2017 Raptors and it would only go into deep sleep if I left it in the shop not used for 4-6 weeks or it might have even been longer.
Seems like some serious BS is going on. I think its the batteries Ford produced or had produced. Might have been a bad batch. Either way, most who switched to other brand of AGM battery never had an issue again is what I found out so far.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It is very frustrating that a brand new truck with only 6 month on it already got an issue with battery drain.

Just had the battery replaced with a Die Hard Brand. When I purchased the vehicle dealer actually had to charge the battery.
It keeps dying on me every few weeks. Today I had to take care of family stuff and needed the truck. So stopped of at the Firestone Service and picked up.a Die Hard battery
Lets see if any issues come up. If it drains again with new battery I will chase the electrical.

However I see it so often that FordMoCo batteries have issues.

Doubt Ford would reimburse me for the battery :)
Good afternoon! Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your battery drain concerns on my end.

OP
OP
CaliF150

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
Good afternoon! Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your battery drain concerns on my end.
Well I will if this new battery drains. Unless you think Ford would reimburse me for battery replacement?
Sponsored