Sponsored

Dead Ford Battery. Every few weeks. Replaced with Die Hard

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Not necessarily, but it’s not a good sign. Can you get your hands on a battery charger with a bit more muscle? Maybe one that can desulfate a “bad” battery? When I thought I had a bad battery, I hooked mine up to a high quality charger with up to 20 amps of current and let it go through a full charging cycle, including a finishing charge and a couple of exercise phases. Took awhile but my Motorcraft battery is performing adequately now. I continue to put it on a charger a couple of times a month.
I'm a relatively new convert on the regenerating battery chargers.

Its about a 50/50. It can't fix a truly dead cell but it can give longevity to a batt that is getting tired.

I just the other day, finally replaced a garden tractor batt that I bought in 2016. If you don't know, that is pretty remarkable. Those things usually last 3 or 4 yrs. not 7.

The down side of them, is if the batt doesn't have enough voltage, the charger won't read it and you have to put it on an old style charger for a while first.

The other, is if after that, you have to do a regen, my model is a 24 hr. cycle. If you're in an impatient mood, takes a while to get used to that and it may even automatically go into another.

I've finally calmed down about it and learned to trust it. If after 3 or 4 days, it still isn't taking a charge, it probably isn't going to and I call it.
Sponsored

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
these batteries dont need a 20a OR a (conventional) Trickle charger....you'll quickly damage and ruin batteries w/ high current (prolonged) charging!

I'm using a NOCO Genius 2a (2x2) and have not issues maintaining the battery - even when I dont put the truck on the charger for a couple of days time.

even a smaller/inexpensive batteryMINDER will maintain these trucks!
use and intelligent battery maintainer!

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Its about a 50/50. It can't fix a truly dead cell but it can give longevity to a batt that is getting tired.
Agreed. A dead battery is a dead battery. Where I find high quality chargers the most useful are with damaged batteries: Relatively new, but abused—sat around too long, drawn down too low, not fully charged frequently enough. A good charger can often return abused batteries to some level of usefulness. An abused battery might not last the 4-5 years (or more) it would have had it been maintained properly since purchased, and a good charger won’t make it “like new,” but it could get you another two years (sometime more, depending on the level of damage) of good service before you have to turn it in for a new one. But I agree that even the best chargers aren’t magic wands—they can’t raise the dead.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
these batteries dont need a 20a OR a (conventional) Trickle charger....you'll quickly damage and ruin batteries w/ high current (prolonged) charging!

I'm using a NOCO Genius 2a (2x2) and have not issues maintaining the battery - even when I dont put the truck on the charger for a couple of days time.

even a smaller/inexpensive batteryMINDER will maintain these trucks!
use and intelligent battery maintainer!
I’ve been using my 20A Clore ProLogix for over a year now and it works great. It has a microprocessor that doesn’t maintain a constant high charge throughout the charge cycle and I’ve not experience even a single event of overcharging.

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
I'm a relatively new convert on the regenerating battery chargers.

I just the other day, finally replaced a garden tractor batt that I bought in 2016. If you don't know, that is pretty remarkable. Those things usually last 3 or 4 yrs. not 7.

The down side of them, is if the batt doesn't have enough voltage, the charger won't read it and you have to put it on an old style charger for a while first.

The other, is if after that, you have to do a regen, my model is a 24 hr. cycle. If you're in an impatient mood, takes a while to get used to that and it may even automatically go into another.

I've finally calmed down about it and learned to trust it. If after 3 or 4 days, it still isn't taking a charge, it probably isn't going to and I call it.

I use intelligent battery maintainers on all our vehicles...even where I have multi battery systems (RV, Diesels) and motorcycles....it's not unusual for me to get 5-7 years out of conventional (AGM or conventional lead acid / flood) batteries.

in situations where a battery is "too low" for a maintainer to charge the battery - I have jumped the battery with another charged battery and then started the charger/maintainer....after a minute or so I then remove the good battery and the maintainer continues recovering the battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaliF150

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
Only drive 2 miles a week? That’s your problem. It’s not long enough to top it off and is probably net down every trip. You need a good long drive every so often to keep it charged.
That is strange to me.
Our Honda CRV drives even less and never has an issue. My previous vehicles Toyota Tundra / Tacoma, Lexus GX 460 I had parked same way never a problem. Perhaps F150 requires more love :)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That is strange to me.
Our Honda CRV drives even less and never has an issue. My previous vehicles Toyota Tundra / Tacoma, Lexus GX 460 I had parked same way never a problem. Perhaps F150 requires more love :)
I have a 2012 F150 that can sit for weeks and the battery isn't flat.
But if you hook it up to Forscan and scan the truck it finds 7 modules.

On the 2022 Powerboost, Forscan finds 42 modules.

I'm convinced therein lies the difference. 😁

(that and Ford's conservative battery charging strategy on this new truck)

OP
OP
CaliF150

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Seems to me that I am not the only one with draining battery issue, per all the responses above. I will see how long new battery lasts. If no issues I will report. But no other vehicle I own or have owned had this issue. Seems like Ford did something wrong here in the design. Also I am a base STX model. No special gadgets.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A base STX Gen14 F150 will still have significantly more 12V modules than vehicles did just a short few years ago.
Not making excuses for Ford, of course, but the Battery Management itself on your truck is a dauntingly sophisticated piece of technology.

To quote an article that addresses just how sophisticated Ford's Ecoboost engine management software is, they make this point:

Ford F-150 Dead Ford Battery. Every few weeks. Replaced with Die Hard Screenshot_20230521_170029_Brave

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
A base STX Gen14 F150 will still have significantly more 12V modules than vehicles did just a short few years ago.
Not making excuses for Ford, of course, but the Battery Management itself on your truck is a dauntingly sophisticated piece of technology.

To quote an article that addresses just how sophisticated Ford's Ecoboost engine management software is, they make this point:

Screenshot_20230521_170029_Brave.jpg
Ah-Ha-aa-aa the plot thickens... what this conveys to me is that if the battery goes squirrely... then at any given moment a random module will be triggered to do something... So, one of the things we're dealing with is the bad batch(es) of batteries doing things to the software that causes "stuff" to happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaliF150

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer

Screenshot_20230521_170029_Brave.jpg
Makes me want to get an Older vehicle again. Perhaps an older f250. But for now I will see how the new battery works with in the belly of this cyborg truck

OP
OP
CaliF150

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Also starting to wonder if a secondary battery system should be installed, not sure how it would help. I have seen those hood Solar panels that charge up a battery. But that seems dangerous to leave always charging your battery.

bigbulls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
The above is all great info. I can have a fully charged battery, back into the shop where I park it and hook the charger ( Noco Genius10 smart charger) and in a few minutes it says fully charged and I leave it hooked up, but then in 48 hours the truck goes into deep sleep to conserve battery or that's what Ford pass says. Just seems odd since it can't need to conserve battery since it's plugged in. This isn't a power boost truck just a regular 2023 ecoboost with a 1000 miles on it.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Seems to me that I am not the only one with draining battery issue, per all the responses above. I will see how long new battery lasts. If no issues I will report. But no other vehicle I own or have owned had this issue. Seems like Ford did something wrong here in the design. Also I am a base STX model. No special gadgets.
same, STX...battery went poopy 12k...

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
The above is all great info. I can have a fully charged battery, back into the shop where I park it and hook the charger ( Noco Genius10 smart charger) and in a few minutes it says fully charged and I leave it hooked up, but then in 48 hours the truck goes into deep sleep to conserve battery or that's what Ford pass says. Just seems odd since it can't need to conserve battery since it's plugged in. This isn't a power boost truck just a regular 2023 ecoboost with a 1000 miles on it.
How is the charger attached to the battery? If it's directly on the posts, the truck won't realize it's being charged which would explain why it still thinks it needs to go into deep sleep.
Sponsored