DC in Bed with Pro Power Onboard?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Yeah. This is what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a Bluetti AC200MAX which I charge via the AC outlets. This in-turn powers everything else via its DC outlets.
So it sounds like your build doesn't have a dedicated 12V system and battery(s).

Are you using a removable setup like one of the rack-top tent systems?
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
No. I have an FWC ProjectM
IMG_0548.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg
I guess I'm trying to understand why?

The Bluetti already has an inverter, converter and storage, all in a pretty small footprint. And its portable and can accept solar charging.

I like a sleek design as much as anyone but what advantage are you trying to gain by having on board DC power in the bed?

Yes, a couple of conversions but the big batt on the PB has to be stepped down, so it isn't directly usable to you anyway.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yeah. This is what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a Bluetti AC200MAX which I charge via the AC outlets. This in-turn powers everything else via its DC outlets.
Ok everyone. Conversions are like hoops. Lets jump through the fewest possible please. Run everything you possibly can from AC power. AC everything. For the few things that are DC only get a good quality AC/DC converter without a big battery you don't need. The PB is your "Pure Sine Wave Inverter" only it's 7200W with a built in 3.5L V6 generator!!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Carrying all that Solar system weight, cost, and complexity is going to reduce any perceived fuel savings achieved by turning off your PB. Keep the PB fueled up and drinking water becomes the limiting factor for off grid boondocking.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Ok everyone. Conversions are like hoops. Lets jump through the fewest possible please. Run everything you possibly can from AC power. AC everything. For the few things that are DC only get a good quality AC/DC converter without a big battery you don't need. The PB is your "Pure Sine Wave Inverter" only it's 7200W with a built in 3.5L V6 generator!!
I did use the Pro Power to run everything directly before I got the Bluetti, but it’s really annoying to need to leave the truck on all the time to power anything (especially a fridge). I’ve also got enough DC devices (lights, pumps, fans, etc) to warrant a dedicated DC source.

Pro Power is great, but it’s not perfect for every need.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carrying all that Solar system weight, cost, and complexity is going to reduce any perceived fuel savings achieved by turning off your PB.
Well I don’t have a solar system. Just the battery (it is admittedly heavy). It’s pretty simple.

Also, although it doesn’t really concern me personally, but some have remarked that it’s not really a good idea to use your vehicles fuel source to power everything while overlanding, lest you get stuck in the boonies with an empty tank. It’s peace of mind at least.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess I'm trying to understand why?

The Bluetti already has an inverter, converter and storage, all in a pretty small footprint. And its portable and can accept solar charging.
Well, I asked this question months before I got the Bluetti.

The Bluetti can charge via AC and DC and I imagine charging it via DC could be more efficient. If it were easy to get DC in the bed, I'd probably want to try it.

I'm pretty happy with the setup now though.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Well I don’t have a solar system. Just the battery (it is admittedly heavy). It’s pretty simple.

Also, although it doesn’t really concern me personally, but some have remarked that it’s not really a good idea to use your vehicles fuel source to power everything while overlanding, lest you get stuck in the boonies with an empty tank. It’s peace of mind at least.
I'm new to this but wouldn't it be weight better spent on gasoline and fresh water than previously charged up storage batteries? I understand trying to add a solar component, and if you have a decent sized travel trailer you can load it up with a solar system that will stretch out your fuel needs, but if I'm overlanding in the PB I want fuel. Gas is about 6lbs./gallon Carrying more fuel for the PB is the most efficient way forward imo.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I did use the Pro Power to run everything directly before I got the Bluetti, but it’s really annoying to need to leave the truck on all the time to power anything (especially a fridge). I’ve also got enough DC devices (lights, pumps, fans, etc) to warrant a dedicated DC source.

Pro Power is great, but it’s not perfect for every need.
I get that. I'm planning on having chassis batteries in the trailer to serve that purpose. Perhaps I'm confusing different scenarios. I do that lol

Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I'm new to this but wouldn't it be weight better spent on gasoline and fresh water than previously charged up storage batteries? I understand trying to add a solar component, and if you have a decent sized travel trailer you can load it up with a solar system that will stretch out your fuel needs, but if I'm overlanding in the PB I want fuel. Gas is about 6lbs./gallon Carrying more fuel for the PB is the most efficient way forward imo.
Keeping ProPower on to get AC power for the whole day (say, for a fridge) or to charge the low voltage battery, requires the vehicle being "on" which uses a constant 300W-400W having all the modules enabled. That'll use up the hybrid high-voltage battery in just a couple hours from vampire drain alone. It's more efficient to charge a battery up once per day with ProPower and run appliances from the external battery.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
OP, there should be a 12v source at the 7 pin trailer hitch. Not sure of the F150's output but it should be able to deliver 30 or 40a. I strongly advise against using your PB's 12v source w/ out the ICE on, and at that point you're better off running generator mode which enables hybrid operation while also providing significantly more charging power.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Keeping ProPower on to get AC power for the whole day (say, for a fridge) or to charge the low voltage battery, requires the vehicle being "on" which uses a constant 300W-400W having all the modules enabled. That'll use up the hybrid high-voltage battery in just a couple hours from vampire drain alone. It's more efficient to charge a battery up once per day with ProPower and run appliances from the external battery.
There are videos of PB's running 25' Airstreams for 24 hours and only using 5 or so gallons. That's AC blasting and everything. If you're in the back of the truck just running a couple LED lights a fan and a small fridge then what maybe 3 gallons a day? Hey, LiFePO4 batteries are surprisingly lightweight by AGM standards. Build a 200Ahr battery bank with a good minder to warn you when it's getting low and enjoy! I plan on using the trailer chassis batteries for keeping things cold in the fridges while we're underway or off in the truck doing things.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There are videos of PB's running 25' Airstreams for 24 hours and only using 5 or so gallons. That's AC blasting and everything. If you're in the back of the truck just running a couple LED lights a fan and a small fridge then what maybe 3 gallons a day? Hey, LiFePO4 batteries are surprisingly lightweight by AGM standards. Build a 200Ahr battery bank with a good minder to warn you when it's getting low and enjoy! I plan on using the trailer chassis batteries for keeping things cold in the fridges while we're underway or off in the truck doing things.
That's way over-doing it -- 3 gallons is about 21kWh worth of energy.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
That's way over-doing it -- 3 gallons is about 21kWh worth of energy.
Now that plays into my original point that went over like a lead balloon! Just load up on fuel and let the PB do its' thing. Simple and efficient.
Sponsored