DC in Bed with Pro Power Onboard?

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So I've been designing my overland/camper build for my PowerBoost which has the 7.2 pro power onboard option. I've got a DC fridge and plan to get a battery like a Goal Zero, EcoFlow, or Bluetti which can charge with DC.

Is there any easy way to get DC in the bed without having to pay a conversion penalty by going from DC to AC and back?
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
With DC direct from the 12v battery, you're going to use up that battery just like a regular car and not benefit from the hybrid battery or the ProPower system. So whilst you may incur an AC->DC penalty, you have an "unlimited" amount of power. Well, limited by fuel.
I use an AC mini-fridge and charge my 500wh battery from AC.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With DC direct from the 12v battery, you're going to use up that battery just like a regular car and not benefit from the hybrid battery or the ProPower system.
Oh, I assumed the hybrid battery was a DC source which ran through an inverter for the AC ProPower outlets.

My fridge can use an AC or DC cord for charging, but I think, ultimately, it has a DC compressor, so it seems, somehow, inefficient to go through all this conversion.

Maybe the hybrid battery is so high voltage that it needs to go through an inefficient DC to DC down conversion to be usable in any case?

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Maybe the hybrid battery is so high voltage that it needs to go through an inefficient DC to DC down conversion to be usable in any case?
That statement is definitely correct. The Lithium battery is very high voltage. There is a DC to DC converter that converts hi DC to lo DC and a DC to AC converter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That statement is definitely correct. The Lithium battery is very high voltage. There is a DC to DC converter that converts hi DC to lo DC and a DC to AC converter.
Okay, so the 12V outlet in the rear of the center console goes through this DC to DC conversion where there are also some inefficiencies?

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
So I've been designing my overland/camper build for my PowerBoost which has the 7.2 pro power onboard option. I've got a DC fridge and plan to get a battery like a Goal Zero, EcoFlow, or Bluetti which can charge with DC.

Is there any easy way to get DC in the bed without having to pay a conversion penalty by going from DC to AC and back?
What were you thinking the conversion penalty was? I know enough about 'trons to just barely avoid electrocuting myself, but I always understood AC/DC conversion was on the order of 90% efficient. Not perfect by any means but not severely limiting, IMHO.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Okay, so the 12V outlet in the rear of the center console goes through this DC to DC conversion where there are also some inefficiencies?
I presume so.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What were you thinking the conversion penalty was? I know enough about 'trons to just barely avoid electrocuting myself, but I always understood AC/DC conversion was on the order of 90% efficient. Not perfect by any means but not severely limiting, IMHO.
Well, there's also the initial conversion from DC to AC that probably cause some inefficiencies, right?

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Maybe use your PPoB 7.2k to charge your RV batteries, and then run your refrigerator from thr RVs 12V system?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I expect that is powered by your 12v battery under the hood.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe use your PPoB 7.2k to charge your RV batteries, and then run your refrigerator from thr RVs 12V system?
Yeah. This is what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a Bluetti AC200MAX which I charge via the AC outlets. This in-turn powers everything else via its DC outlets.

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
This is the way.
did you take the creed?
Yeah. This is what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a Bluetti AC200MAX which I charge via the AC outlets. This in-turn powers everything else via its DC outlets.
if you’d like me to give you more info, I recently finished a project for my PowerBoost where I installed a 12V system specifically for accessories and solar power generation. It is separate and completely isolated from the factory systems. I read the hybrid truck modifiers guide several times over and followed all of the guidelines that related to what I was doing. So if you want to know more about that stuff I can tell you more about my build.
Sponsored