Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
This was my first time planning a trip by myself, I used GAIA and OnX, along with Google Maps to get an idea of the route, the trail surface etc and planned a day trip in Stanislaus National Forest. I had my '22 PowerBoost with FX4 (and Wildpeak AT4Ws) and a friend in his Lexus 570 (his first time taking his vehicle on dirt).

I've only done mild gravel/forest roads before this, and this time we got some fun sections where we had to straddle deep ruts, and decent sized rocks (for my skill level!). Had too much fun on the rough stuff to capture video or take pictures, but here's some footage of what we did film. :)

Also, I made a 4 way inflator kit that I got to use on this trip and it worked really well. My compressor is a cheap little one, so I didn't save time inflating (though the effort was certainly a lot less), but deflating the tires was such a breeze (ha!).

This was a day trip, but I can't wait to go again for a longer overnight trip now that I'm more used to the mapping tools.

BTW Apple Carplay with the OnX route showing on the infotainment system is so useful!

Ford F-150 Day trip out to Stanislaus National Forest, CA in 2022 F-150 PowerBoost IMG_6482

I need to upgrade the compressor attachment to something that has a lesser constriction, that will be my next upgrade to this.

Ford F-150 Day trip out to Stanislaus National Forest, CA in 2022 F-150 PowerBoost IMG_6481
Ford F-150 Day trip out to Stanislaus National Forest, CA in 2022 F-150 PowerBoost IMG_6460

Ford F-150 Day trip out to Stanislaus National Forest, CA in 2022 F-150 PowerBoost IMG_6461

The third and fourth pictures are of a bald eagle flying past us no more than 75 yards out. I took the picture while driving so couldn't really frame or zoom it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This was my first time planning a trip by myself, I used GAIA and OnX, along with Google Maps to get an idea of the route, the trail surface etc and planned a day trip in Stanislaus National Forest. I had my '22 PowerBoost with FX4 (and Wildpeak AT4Ws) and a friend in his Lexus 570 (his first time taking his vehicle on dirt).

I've only done mild gravel/forest roads before this, and this time we got some fun sections where we had to straddle deep ruts, and decent sized rocks (for my skill level!). Had too much fun on the rough stuff to capture video or take pictures, but here's some footage of what we did film. :)

Also, I made a 4 way inflator kit that I got to use on this trip and it worked really well. My compressor is a cheap little one, so I didn't save time inflating (though the effort was certainly a lot less), but deflating the tires was such a breeze (ha!).

This was a day trip, but I can't wait to go again for a longer overnight trip now that I'm more used to the mapping tools.

BTW Apple Carplay with the OnX route showing on the infotainment system is so useful!

IMG_6482.jpeg

I need to upgrade the compressor attachment to something that has a lesser constriction, that will be my next upgrade to this.

IMG_6481.jpeg
IMG_6460.jpeg

IMG_6461.jpeg

The third and fourth pictures are of a bald eagle flying past us no more than 75 yards out. I took the picture while driving so couldn't really frame or zoom it.
Looks like an amazing adventure!

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer

IMG_6482.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg
IMG_6460.jpeg

IMG_6461.jpeg

Thanks fo

Zedbra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Cool vid. Why not just get a battery operated tire inflator? My little Rigid can pump a 35" up in no time, I use it all over the yeard on every vehicle.

McStabby

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Construction Laborer
Nice adventure video! Which drone did you use for the aerial footage? Makes for better depth of footage if you can show a larger shot of the area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Nice adventure video! Which drone did you use for the aerial footage? Makes for better depth of footage if you can show a larger shot of the area.
This was with a Skydio drone. It uses a visual lock for object tracking and I have the older one without great radio range, so while it will fly back to where it took off from on a loss of signal, that's not ideal when you're driving down a trail. Long winded explanation for why there were no long distance shots even though I agree with your suggestion.

Hopefully the next time I'm out I can take out one of the longer radio range drones for the wide shots.

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
Nice day for it, and good job on the drone video. Once you accept the fact that pin stripes occur, you will be free. :)
Heading to Utah next week for 6 days of dust and rock in Escalante, the Reef, and Canyonlands. Anyone else?
Sponsored