First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Within the first few weeks of owning my truck (took delivery March 4th), my dashboard would reboot frequently and randomly while driving, as in every 10-20 minutes. This happened over a few day period. Then it stopped.

Fast forward to today (July 20), it started doing it again. As a side-effect it also causes the configurable gauges and "My View" settings to reset to the defaults. Shown below is the black blank screen as it begins its reboot process.

Any idea?

Related thought, is this due to processing OTA updates? Or completely unrelated?

Are OTA updates only applicable to the SYNC 12" screen?

For reference, attached is my SYNC version. What's annoying is that I've never been notified that I've received an OTA update (maybe I have yet to get one?). What SYNC version is everyone else running?

Ford F-150 Dash Rebooting Constantly 2021-07-20 14.05.29

Ford F-150 Dash Rebooting Constantly 2021-07-20 14.12.07
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
OTA updates are only supposed to happen while the vehicle is off so I doubt it’s ota related. Possibly a loose connection, a bad ground or potentially a bad circuit board. I would have it looked at.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Brother's STX did this since day 1. Left it at the dealer last weekend for them to figure it out. Also had problems with both infotainment and cluster screens freezing on occasions too.

I ran some codes with my scan tool and there were some voltage codes thrown. Hoping to be just a bad battery causing havoc on all the electronics. Will keep you updated.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
And these are the related FordPass alerts I'm getting that started the same time the dash started rebooting. The FordPass alerts seem to correspond with 3 different events (based on timestamp), but the dash has rebooted a dozen+ times over the past 1.5 days.

Ford F-150 Dash Rebooting Constantly 2021-07-20 17.54.28

Sponsored

Wja76239

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150
Occupation
Farm
And these are the related FordPass alerts I'm getting that started the same time the dash started rebooting. The FordPass alerts seem to correspond with 3 different events (based on timestamp), but the dash has rebooted a dozen+ times over the past 1.5 days.

2021-07-20 17.54.28.jpg
That is exactly what my truck is doing since the day I bought it, haven’t had time to bring it back to the dealer so I’ve been ignoring it but it’s starting to get pretty frustrating. Did you find the cure?

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
@Wja76239

@ScottBB posted a tidbit in the 4/26 forum about fuses not being seated correctly. In fact, several of us have found the same issue. I would start there. Takes 5 minutes and costs nothing.

ScottBB said:
passenger side, engine compartment, all the way toward the window. Little clip top comes off. I guarantee when you start pushing fuses and relays in there are a ton that will "click" into place b/c they were not set. This can cause a ton of electrical issues.

Wja76239

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150
Occupation
Farm
@Wja76239

@ScottBB posted a tidbit in the 4/26 forum about fuses not being seated correctly. In fact, several of us have found the same issue. I would start there. Takes 5 minutes and costs nothing.

ScottBB said:
passenger side, engine compartment, all the way toward the window. Little clip top comes off. I guarantee when you start pushing fuses and relays in there are a ton that will "click" into place b/c they were not set. This can cause a ton of electrical issues.
Wow can’t believe I didn’t see that, half a dozen or so definitely weren’t all the way in, and that makes sense because about 75% of the time it would happen on gravel road or incline. Send me an invitation and I’ll dance at your wedding.

ScottBB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Wow can’t believe I didn’t see that, half a dozen or so definitely weren’t all the way in, and that makes sense because about 75% of the time it would happen on gravel road or incline. Send me an invitation and I’ll dance at your wedding.
Crazy how many fuses aren't pushed all the way in place and also crazy the gremlins it can cause.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Update regarding this long-standing dash reboot problem...

I called 3 local dealers, and all want to keep my truck for 3-4 days just to look into the problem (and no loaners available).

Can't even schedule an appointment to look at it, can only schedule an appointment for them to keep my truck for 3-4 days, in which case it will sit parked outside at the dealer lot for 3 of the 4 days.

Completely unacceptable. :mad:

So now I'm forced to schedule to drop my truck off when I'm on vacation at the end of January 2022.

Sponsored

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Update regarding this long-standing dash reboot problem...

I called 3 local dealers, and all want to keep my truck for 3-4 days just to look into the problem (and no loaners available).

Can't even schedule an appointment to look at it, can only schedule an appointment for them to keep my truck for 3-4 days, in which case it will sit parked outside at the dealer lot for 3 of the 4 days.

Completely unacceptable. :mad:

So now I'm forced to schedule to drop my truck off when I'm on vacation at the end of January 2022.
That is wrong on so many levels

TeedsReeds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Within the first few weeks of owning my truck (took delivery March 4th), my dashboard would reboot frequently and randomly while driving, as in every 10-20 minutes. This happened over a few day period. Then it stopped.

Fast forward to today (July 20), it started doing it again. As a side-effect it also causes the configurable gauges and "My View" settings to reset to the defaults. Shown below is the black blank screen as it begins its reboot process.

Any idea?

Related thought, is this due to processing OTA updates? Or completely unrelated?

Are OTA updates only applicable to the SYNC 12" screen?

For reference, attached is my SYNC version. What's annoying is that I've never been notified that I've received an OTA update (maybe I have yet to get one?). What SYNC version is everyone else running?

2021-07-20 14.05.29.jpg

2021-07-20 14.12.07.jpg
Ford F-150 Dash Rebooting Constantly C3A96E8E-260D-4FCA-82EB-2547648D401D

stew64d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
did you ever find an answer to your screen blanking out repeatedly? I just bought a new 2022 and after six days mine has started doing this.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
did you ever find an answer to your screen blanking out repeatedly? I just bought a new 2022 and after six days mine has started doing this.
Hey there! I can look into your F-150’s screen concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

stew64d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I had it at the dealer yesterday and they could not find anything. Told me ford didn’t have anything on it either. And of course it wasn’t doing it while there so they said to let them know if it comes back.
Sponsored