Sponsored

Dash rattle fixed 2021 F150

Deertic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Fx4
I have a 2021 F150 XLT Fx4 supercrew. A very annoying dash rattle began about 3000 miles. Rattled with every bump in the road and constantly on gravel. Sounded like it was coming from behind the drivers side right hand air vent. After MANY frustrating hours searching and holding pressure on parts of the dash and cramming foam rubber in trim junctions to no avail, I found and fixed the problem. Behind the climate control part of the dash I found a metal part that I think is part of the touch screen had a screw loose and it would not tighten down. There was at least 1/8” of play between the part and the frame where it was attached. I slipped a nylon washer between the screw and the mounting plate and tightened it up and the problem is fixed. Just trying to help the next guy with an annoying dash rattle.
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP

Deertic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Fx4
I have a 2021 F150 XLT Fx4 supercrew. A very annoying dash rattle began about 3000 miles. Rattled with every bump in the road and constantly on gravel. Sounded like it was coming from behind the drivers side right hand air vent. After MANY frustrating hours searching and holding pressure on parts of the dash and cramming foam rubber in trim junctions to no avail, I found and fixed the problem. Behind the climate control part of the dash I found a metal part that I think is part of the touch screen had a screw loose and it would not tighten down. There was at least 1/8” of play between the part and the frame where it was attached. I slipped a nylon washer between the screw and the mounting plate and tightened it up and the problem is fixed. Just trying to help the next guy with an annoying dash rattle.
Here is video

Attachments

Reactions: DK4

Caneman88

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum ,MB GLC 300
Occupation
Pella Windows and Doors
wow great find that would drive me crazy

Csvt18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 SCEW (current), 2022 f150 (ordered)
Can someone post pics of where this screw is? Video won’t load and I’m pretty sure I have this rattle now. Super annoying static sounding type rattle constantly. Already tried door panel fix.

Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
Sound like this?

Last edited:

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
How do you pull off the dash? Would love to see a step by step video.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another day, another problem on mine. This rattle comes and goes. I wonder how many additional rattles will develop by fixing this one.

Oh, and since opening pano roof on a windy day, flapping noise in both upper B pillars. Can’t wait to see if drain tube or something came loose. Sigh.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Another day, another problem on mine. This rattle comes and goes. I wonder how many additional rattles will develop by fixing this one.

Oh, and since opening pano roof on a windy day, flapping noise in both upper B pillars. Can’t wait to see if drain tube or something came loose. Sigh.
Hi Richard. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deertic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Fx4
[/QU
I had to remove the trim and controls for a/c and stereo. it all popped off easily. I used an avacodo knife to pry. There is a YouTube video showing how to remove the trim. Some young kid that does it for a living.
Here is the video of the problem
Hope this helps-it was brutal while it lasted

Reactions: DK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 502A
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sound like this?

Did you ever figure out the cause of this? I have this exact rattle and it's driving me insane.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you ever figure out the cause of this? I have this exact rattle and it's driving me insane.

It went away on its own and I traded the truck for a Ram due to many issues and no meaningful support from corporate.

BoomStik!

First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Director

Velociraptor, my noise sounds EXACTLY like yours. It sounds like it's coming from around the passenger air bag area. I typically only hear it when it's above 75 degrees outside, but lately it's started up around 50 degrees. I assume things swell and touch, but who knows. If I have a strong passenger, they can push forward on the passenger air bag cover and make the ticking noise stop. Once they release it the noise starts back up.

The local ford dealer has torn the inside apart many many many times since I bought it new 9 months ago and they have yet to locate and resolve the problem. Makes me hate to drive the dang thing. I can't think of a piece of that dash that hasn't been pulled off and taped up to try and resolve the issue.

I just need to hit a sharp bump below 35 MPH and it will start up. I've heard it once at highway speed, but typically its 35mph and below.

Have you found an answer to it?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 502A
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I haven't. My trucks been at the dealer for the last 3 days because it started up again. They can't find it, and as much as I love the rest of the truck, I'm on the verge of giving up and trading the thing in because Ford corporate has been useless in terms of helping out, and a deaf and mute person would be better at communicating with me than the dealer has.
Sponsored