Dash cam recommendations?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
A question about dash cam image quality (yes, I'm attracted to the previously discussed
Fitcamx Front 4K+Rear 1080P Dash Cam for its super easy installation and, to my eye, unobtrusive mounting location, both which have value for me) .....

My interest, I believe, is a 'set it and forget it' cam, the objective being to have 'evidence' in the event I'm hit and in case of question of 'who was at fault' by LEO or my insurance.

Do I really need to be able to 'read a license plate' for that objective? I could care less about anyone catching the 'other guy' if they hit-and-run, just want to be able to aid in correctly assigning fault to the extent that's possible.

Is my logic flawed? Do I really need to be worried about 'reading license plates', and if so, why?
Sponsored

JBMCEQY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 XLT 5.0
Do you have any pics of the install?
I will try to take some and post in the next day or two.

Though just FYI regarding the Viofo A229 Pro, I haven't had a chance to use it with hot weather yet. But the other day I spent 4 hours driving on the highway when the temp got up to about 80 and I think I heard it restart at least once. So I have some concerns about how well it'll hold up from overheating once summer hits.

Micho523

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
I will try to take some and post in the next day or two.

Though just FYI regarding the Viofo A229 Pro, I haven't had a chance to use it with hot weather yet. But the other day I spent 4 hours driving on the highway when the temp got up to about 80 and I think I heard it restart at least once. So I have some concerns about how well it'll hold up from overheating once summer hits.
I've had a Viofo A129 Pro Duo for several years now, no issues overheating in the Florida sun or on LONG road trips.

I did have an issue with the little USB cable not providing enough power. I upgraded it to one with a larger gauge wiring and it has been problem free since.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Is my logic flawed? Do I really need to be worried about 'reading license plates', and if so, why?
I do not think so. More information is always better than less information but there are plateau levels where getting that little extra, just may not be cost effective or worth perusing.

With that said 4k is significantly better than 1080. However, even with 4k if you are recording at 30fps there is a high likelihood that the image will be blurred anyway. 4k at 60fps for dashcams is what is needed for motion, but that animal does not exist, at least yet anyway.

I was holding out for 4k @ 60fps but finally gave up and got a Wolfbox G900. This is a unit that attaches to your regular mirror and will give you a proper digital rearview mirror. I have a topper so this is a little more important to me. I have not even downloaded the Wolfbox playback software yet as the dashcam is less important than that rearview camera to me.

If you really just want to capture the moment so when someone starts lying and says "you hit me" when he clearly hit you, then you really should just get what works best for you as far as windshield positioning and cost. Any of the somewhat "better" dash cams will serve you well if you just want to see who is telling the truth. Good luck with your decision.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
When I read the reviews for dozens of dash cameras that were posted on Amazon I decided not to buy one. Their life expectancy was less than 12 months. I would however go by the thousands of reviews on Amazon and not few dozen on a car forum.

Sponsored

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I do not think so. More information is always better than less information but there are plateau levels where getting that little extra, just may not be cost effective or worth perusing.

With that said 4k is significantly better than 1080. However, even with 4k if you are recording at 30fps there is a high likelihood that the image will be blurred anyway. 4k at 60fps for dashcams is what is needed for motion, but that animal does not exist, at least yet anyway.

I was holding out for 4k @ 60fps but finally gave up and got a Wolfbox G900. This is a unit that attaches to your regular mirror and will give you a proper digital rearview mirror. I have a topper so this is a little more important to me. I have not even downloaded the Wolfbox playback software yet as the dashcam is less important than that rearview camera to me.

If you really just want to capture the moment so when someone starts lying and says "you hit me" when he clearly hit you, then you really should just get what works best for you as far as windshield positioning and cost. Any of the somewhat "better" dash cams will serve you well if you just want to see who is telling the truth. Good luck with your decision.
This was my thoughts as well. The issue isn't being able to catch every tiny detail in the event, it's just being able to get a good overview of the situation. It's very easy to tell even with lower quality of who's at fault in an accident when there's footage. I just wanted to be able to show if someone rear ended me or pulled out in front of me who was at fault for sure. Look at surveillance footage from a convenience store. It doesn't take much to be able to discern the situation, even in low quality footage.

sone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Researching to Purchase
Agreed on the Viofo's as they have been great. I have them in several vehicles for my family.. saved us a couple of times while other driver tried to say accident was our fault.

Datdabid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 2012
I replaced my older with Merylion integrated dash cam mainly for four features. I wanted a 2K video, built-in GPS, low light night vision, WiFi to allow easy downloading of video without having to remove the card or camera to get my recordings. I compared many dash cams with similar functions and finally chose Mercylion.
Sponsored

Last edited: