Dash cam options?

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Can you show us some pictures of this install? Is the Wiring plug always powered on or just when the vehicle is running?
It comes with a long power plug cord. Super easy to run across the upper windshield and tuck into the headliner. Then down the post and under The floor mat up under the passenger seat to the center console where it plugs into the power port. It shuts off after the truck has been off for a bit, as I think the truck kills the power to those plugs after the engine has been off for a bit. The dash cam has a small battery to power for a very short time after the power has been cut. If you wanted to hard wire, kits are readily available. In that case you run the power to a hot wire and ground. Again super easy. theres not a lot to these.
Sponsored

Hartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Happy to have discovered this website. Should be a good resource for me and my '21 XLT.

I hardwired a Thinkware FA200 dual channel into my truck about a week ago. The primary reasons I went for this package were the inconspicuous looks as well as the buffered parking ability. Installation was fairly straight forward thanks to youtube. Even though I couldn’t find any videos specific to the 2021, it’s essentially the same as the previous gen. The only difference is which fuse numbers to tap. This is what I had to research the most, because having very little knowledge about electronics, I didn’t wanna muck up my brand new truck. I did have to buy a pack of micro 2 fuse taps from amazon. Cost was under $10.

Once installed, it is nice to set it and forget it. I considered simply using the cigarette lighter but the location is a fairly open area and it would be quite noticeable. I thought maybe I just route it into the centre console lighter socket, only to find out there isn’t one. So I thought ok, hardwire is my best option.

After install, I am happy as can be I guess. It just does its thing and will be there if I ever need it, but hopefully I never do. The thinkware hardwire kit comes with it’s own in-line fuses, coupled with the fuse tap. The truck also has a low-voltage monitor that will kill the dashcam if needed.

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
Happy to have discovered this website. Should be a good resource for me and my '21 XLT.

I hardwired a Thinkware FA200 dual channel into my truck about a week ago. The primary reasons I went for this package were the inconspicuous looks as well as the buffered parking ability. Installation was fairly straight forward thanks to youtube. Even though I couldn’t find any videos specific to the 2021, it’s essentially the same as the previous gen. The only difference is which fuse numbers to tap. This is what I had to research the most, because having very little knowledge about electronics, I didn’t wanna muck up my brand new truck.
Curious as to what fuses you used. Which slots did you find that were accessory for the hardwiring? Interested as my truck should be here in a few weeks and this is project number 1.

Thanks

Hartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
My hardwire kit came with an accessory wire (tapped into fuse #36 - 15amp) and an always-on wire (tapped into fuse #15 - 15amp). The ground wire was screwed on a bolt just to the right of the fuse box. All of this is located by the right foot of the front passenger.

This is the fuse-tap pack i bought.

Hope this helps. Again, im a noob at this stuff and if there is anyone out there that would advise against any of what I did, please let us know.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
My hardwire kit came with an accessory wire (tapped into fuse #36 - 15amp) and an always-on wire (tapped into fuse #15 - 15amp). The ground wire was screwed on a bolt just to the right of the fuse box. All of this is located by the right foot of the front passenger.

This is the fuse-tap pack i bought.

Hope this helps. Again, im a noob at this stuff and if there is anyone out there that would advise against any of what I did, please let us know.
Appreciate the information! I plan on grabbing a dash cam and wanted to wire it in. So this is super helpful.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
For my '21 I went with a rexing dash cam and a wiring plug that goes right into the factory plug on the rearview mirror. I highly recommend it, especially after spending way too much time installing a dash cam on my wife's Volvo that required removing a bunch of trim panels (and breaking tabs on some of course), snaking wires, tapping/splicing wires, and a lot of cursing.
The entire install on the F150 with the plug took less than 5 minutes. No removing trim panels, accessing fuse boxes, running wires, etc. Just unplug the harness from behind mirror, plug in the Dongar SImpleUSB plug, plug in the camera with the supplied short USB cable, and mount camera to windshield. Done.
The Rexing camera gets the job done for the price, has 4k resolution, and has an app that makes it easy to pull the recordings off it, right onto your phone.
Camera link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wiring plug link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P4VFQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have any pictures of your installation?

Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I am also in the market to add a front and rear dash cam. My plan was to go with Ford OEM - with the hope that they will have a clean install. But, I noticed that their resolution is 700p. That's a bit too pathetic in this day and age, so dropping that idea and starting my research...

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I am also in the market to add a front and rear dash cam. My plan was to go with Ford OEM - with the hope that they will have a clean install. But, I noticed that their resolution is 700p. That's a bit too pathetic in this day and age, so dropping that idea and starting my research...
I agree! I want 2K front facing at minimum with good night vision quality.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I will be installing a BlackVue DR750 soon, it's sitting on my table waiting for enough time.
Did you get the chance to install it? I am considering the DR900, Just wondering how easy or hard it was to do. I really dont wanna remove panels lol

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Last edited:

sglide05

First Name