Dash cam options?

Lon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Worker Bee
The Ford accessories dash cam has motion detection and will record when the vehicle is left unattended. Not 360 but total front and back. You can access all recorded incidents thru app on phone. I’ve had it on my 2020 Expedition for over a year and would recommend it if a dash cam is what your looking for. The app could be better but what app couldn’t?
I also have this set up from Ford plus it's supposedly plug and play. Super clean installation.
Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
FORD has 3 versions of OEM dash cams

The first version is a single forward camera with memory card and wired with an OBD-II port plug

the second version adds to the first package a rear window camera and cable

the third version adds to the first package an IR internal rear facing camera for the interior view.

2drunk2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT
It looks like you are using fuse #2 and #35 to power your Thinkware U1000.
I actually tried the same two fuses before seeing this set-up in my 2021 F-150 Lariat and the constant feed to power the dash cam and work the radar module is not working for me.
which fuses did you hook the red and yellow wires too? Called Thinkware and they were useless.

Thanks
Bayside1, maybe this might help. I just wired a Thinkware F750 that I took from my previous vehicle and I used Fuse #4 for constant/ battery and #36 for accessory/ switched. Both are micro 2 fuses so I just used an add-a-circuit and then I used the common ground post next to the fuse block for the ground. Fuse 4 in my manual states vacant but the circuit is live with a factory 20 amp fuse. Continuous recording has had no issues when driving and parking mode picks up once the car is switched off. It doesnt appear that the camera is turning on by itself in the middle of the night either- just saying this as the previous car I had this installed had circuits that would activate 8 hours after engine shut off. My truck is a 21 Powerboost XLT. Just additional FYI, it seems all micro 2 add-a-circuits I had required sanding to fit the fuse slots except bussmann which fit perfectly. Hope this helps.

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
Bayside1, maybe this might help. I just wired a Thinkware F750 that I took from my previous vehicle and I used Fuse #4 for constant/ battery and #36 for accessory/ switched. Both are micro 2 fuses so I just used an add-a-circuit and then I used the common ground post next to the fuse block for the ground. Fuse 4 in my manual states vacant but the circuit is live with a factory 20 amp fuse. Continuous recording has had no issues when driving and parking mode picks up once the car is switched off. It doesnt appear that the camera is turning on by itself in the middle of the night either- just saying this as the previous car I had this installed had circuits that would activate 8 hours after engine shut off. My truck is a 21 Powerboost XLT. Just additional FYI, it seems all micro 2 add-a-circuits I had required sanding to fit the fuse slots except bussmann which fit perfectly. Hope this helps.
I tried #4 previously but it did not power the camera for some reason.
ended up using #36 and #32 but that was short lived. I have the radar option and set the app to battery saver and it still killed the battery. Truck sat for almost two days.
I went ahead and ordered the Cellink Neo back up battery along with the extension battery. Done fooling around. Also found a Coupon for BlackBoxMy Car that saved me $31 on the order. Free Shipping and No Sales Tax

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
The Ford accessories dash cam has motion detection and will record when the vehicle is left unattended. Not 360 but total front and back. You can access all recorded incidents thru app on phone. I’ve had it on my 2020 Expedition for over a year and would recommend it if a dash cam is what your looking for. The app could be better but what app couldn’t?
What is the app called?

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
I just installed the ford accessories front facing camera. Got it for free with my Ford Pass Reward points. Super easy installation, everything was plug and play and instructions were easy to understand. I was initially going to have Ford install it for me but after the reading the instructions and seeing how it was all plug and play I just ended up doing it myself in about 20 mins. Saved myself like $150 on install and it was free, cant beat that lol.

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Close up of where the wires are plugged in?
It's literally just a breakout to a USB-A Receptical. You replace the mirror's factory connection, and put this in between the mirror and the cable, and it gives you USB power. From there you power your camera via a USB power adapter.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
It's literally just a breakout to a USB-A Receptical. You replace the mirror's factory connection, and put this in between the mirror and the cable, and it gives you USB power. From there you power your camera via a USB power adapter.
But it only has power whilst the vehicle is on and not parked, right?

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
But it only has power whilst the vehicle is on and not parked, right?
Correct. If you want to identify fuses for constant and running power, check my signature.

Sponsored

LUV2FORD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6'7" bed, loaded. 6" BDS Lift
Occupation
Engineer
I have about 8 years of dash cam experience and have installed them on probably 6 cars. I've always done dual dash cams in the past. Seems like the rear of the vehicle is every bit as important as the front. This time I decided to go with a 3 channel dash cam (Viofo A139) so the interior is covered to. This camera is very small and discreet. I was worried the lack of a screen would bother me but the phone app seems to work just fine. You can change the settings, synchronize the time, playback videos, download videos all on you phone. Price is very reasonable considering it's a 3 channel. You can also get them on sale like I did last month for 20% off. So far very pleased. I really can't think of much of an improvement other than maybe going from 2k to 4k on the front, but I'm thrilled to have 2k. I did send them an email saying the app wasn't updating the firmware and they are looking into it. Not a big deal. I downloaded the latest firmware onto microSD card and it loaded. Pretty neat the phone will be able to update firmware though!! One modification I always do to my dash cams is to keep it powered on for 2 more hours after I get out of the vehicle (ACC power turns off). I do this with a timer relay. The relay senses when ACC power is removed and then starts a countdown. After a preset time it then removes power to dash cam. I really don't want the dash cam running all night long in my garage or all workday in the parking garage but I also don't want it to turn off immediately while I am at a restaurant or Home Depot, etc. So I decided 2 hours was the sweet spot!!

As is always the case in my forum posts........I hope this helps!!!

Again I almost feel like this is the perfect dash cam hence I bought 2 more of them while they were on sale (and no tax) on their website.

Amazon: Viofo A139
Viofo website
PC World Article

Ford F-150 Dash cam options? Screenshot_20210618-150326_VIOFO

Ford F-150 Dash cam options? Screenshot_20210618-150334_VIOFO

Ford F-150 Dash cam options? Screenshot_20210618-150341_VIOFO2

Last edited:

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I got a super basic one from Amazon for under $60. It has front and rear view but I didn’t install the rear one.

I was nervous about installation as I’ve never done anything like that before but it was super easy. The SD card(32gb) was under $10 at Staples.

I don’t live in a dangerous area but there are a ton of the worst drivers in the country as well as insurance fraudsters around here so this dash cam is as necessary as a seatbelt.

it kind of distracts me because sometimes I would catch myself looking at it while driving so I just positioned it beside the mirror so that I can cover it with my sunvisor and it’s like it’s not even there.
And it’s sweet how it just comes on by itself as soon as I start the engine

longmountain

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150
Don't have the greatest pics as I took them in my garage as an after thought. I went with the Thinkware U1000 2channel dash cam with backup battery from blackboxmycar. Here are some install pics that I could take. The power wires from battery to front cam run along the headliner and down the C post to the battery mounted behind the 60 side of the rear seats. The cable for the rear cam runs along the headliner to the rear. The power for the battery runs along C post to headliner then down the B post and under the front door seal to the fuse box in the passenger seat.

In my pics the green and purple lines are supposed to represent the routing for the camera and power wires to battery and the red from battery to fuse box but i realize its not the greatest. If you guys need more pics or info I can retake pics and reply back.

20210403_173902.jpg

20210403_173956.jpg

20210403_174519_LI.jpg

20210403_174819.jpg

Looks Like you used fuse 2 (delayed accessory) and fuse 37 (driver assistance) can you confirm and which was always on? I’m getting ready to do this exact thing with my rexing 4k front/rear combo. Thanks in advance, looks good!

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
The Garmin ones have so far been very superior to the Amazon junk. Imho. Check them out.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I installed my two today. They came from my 2019. Front was no problem. But the rear is. The '19 XLT had the camera just stuck on the headliner and never fell off. Well what ever they are using in the '21 Lariat is some material nothing will stick to. So I am still thinking of a solution.
They are both Aukey and I like them.
Sponsored