Sponsored

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

Silvah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 502A 3.5 EB 5.5' 4x4 Max Tow
I got hit by this last night, '22 with 5k miles. It happened three times in a row before I found the suggestion to pull the amplifier fuse.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I remember coming across this post long ago. I hoped to never have anything to contribute on here, but you can add me to the list. I've had my truck 16 months and it has 8600 miles and today, it did this. The initial pop almost caused me to soil my pants. I have two 12" subs in an under seat box that gets its signal from the factory system, so you can only imagine how LOUD that thing was. After that, the noise is made wasn't like the OP....it was more like a rice crispies when you first pour the milk on them sound, but infinitely louder. Pulled over and turned off the truck, and it was still doing it. As I'm trying to unplug the harness from the factory B&O amp to get it to shut up, it just stopped. Scarily started up the truck again after I pulled the fuse from the aftermarket amp, and it was gone. I then reinserted the fuse for the amp, and still no boom followed by rice crispies.

I got on PTS and looked up my truck so see if it reported any DTCs, and nothing reported. So this truck basically created a sonic boom within itself and doesn't even know there was an issue. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: After reading the entire thread and further analyzing it, it happened to me shortly after I put it in reverse to back out of the parking spot I was on shortly after I started the truck. You know it always takes a few seconds to connect to Android Auto. I'm thinking of shifting it into gear while it's connecting to your phone somehow triggers it.

Last edited:

dackjob2

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Well number 4 for me. 22’ Tremor 6 months old with 6k. I got the recent update a few weeks ago. This morning got in the truck and got the ear piercing static type sound then the sound of a open auxiliary input with the volume all the way up ( loud humming type sound). I was unable to control volume at all. Turning the volume knob up or down showed “0”. I restarted the truck, the display, my phone, audio sources, several times with no luck. After about 45 minutes I tried again and same thing, was again choosing sources and it just can on like it never happened.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Can anyone confirm if this has happened on the 8 speaker B&O system?

I have a 2022 Lariat Lightning and am terrified that this could happen to me.

Please include exact model and equipment.

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner

I believe all reports have occurred only on the Unleashed 18 speaker system. You should be good.

Sponsored

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7

Yep, I’ve read of one in either this thread or one of the others reporting the same thing here on these forums. Sad.

Jombi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
After 3 weeks at the closest dealer near me and them not even starting the truck, I went and picked it up. They originally promised 2 days to diagnose. Another dealer a bit further away was able to get me in the next day and they diagnosed a mis/non-configured audio control module sending a voltage spike to the sound system. They reset and configured everything.
Time will tell if this actually works. But it does feel good when a dealer actually takes the time to investigate and doesn’t string you along for weeks.

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
After 3 weeks at the closest dealer near me and them not even starting the truck, I went and picked it up. They originally promised 2 days to diagnose. Another dealer a bit further away was able to get me in the next day and they diagnosed a mis/non-configured audio control module sending a voltage spike to the sound system. They reset and configured everything.
Time will tell if this actually works. But it does feel good when a dealer actually takes the time to investigate and doesn’t string you along for weeks.
I don't think dealers will be able to diagnose this even if it were to happen in their possession. When it happened to my truck, I immediately went to check for DTC's and the truck never recorded any kind of incident happening. While it was happening, I saw no check engine lights on the dash, which tells me that even if they hook it up to their diagnostic tool while it is actively happening, it would not show anything is going on. My opinion, of course.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Hi all,

A short update. I was contact by the NHTSA this past week and they wanted more information on the problem. It was a form that had questions on the particular subject of the extremely loud noise issue. Took about 5 minutes to fill out as most questions required me to type in the responses. Looking like something might be happening? Anyone else that filed a report get contacted?

OP
OP

Brad-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Well, it's a bit over a year after I originally started this thread and it happened again. I started the truck and the horrible noise blared for a couple of seconds, but then changed this time to just a lower volume white noise hiss. Same as before otherwise. It didn't stop when the truck was shut off but it finally did after maybe 10-15 minutes. I didn't pull the amp fuse because I wanted to see what it would do since it wasn't as ear splitting as before. It seemed like something was addressed maybe with an OTA update given the possible drop in reports, but apparently not 100%.

Coincidentally I had planned to take the truck in this week anyway because I've been having issues with the left rear speaker sounding like it's blown (heavy distortion) off and on. I also have two incredibly irritating rattles in the interior that need some attention. Not super impressed with this expensive truck right now Ford!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Well, it's a bit over a year after I originally started this thread and it happened again. I started the truck and the horrible noise blared for a couple of seconds, but then changed this time to just a lower volume white noise hiss. Same as before otherwise. It didn't stop when the truck was shut off but it finally did after maybe 10-15 minutes. I didn't pull the amp fuse because I wanted to see what it would do since it wasn't as ear splitting as before. It seemed like something was addressed maybe with an OTA update given the possible drop in reports, but apparently not 100%.

Coincidentally I had planned to take the truck in this week anyway because I've been having issues with the left rear speaker sounding like it's blown (heavy distortion) off and on. I also have two incredibly irritating rattles in the interior that need some attention. Not super impressed with this expensive truck right now Ford!
Hello there, Brad- This doesn't sound like the kid of experience we want you to have. I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

OP
OP

Brad-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hello there, Brad- This doesn't sound like the kid of experience we want you to have. I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.
Thank you for reaching out. I'm scheduled for the dealership next week now (they ended up overloaded this week). I'll give them a chance to address the current issues and if need be I'll get back in touch with you.
Sponsored