Dangerous B&O sound system issue

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Just had the issue happen to me a second time since buying the truck.

The first was approx at 12000km, now again at 22000km. First time I pulled and put back the fuse... this time I think @Ford Motor Company needs to investigate.

I've got 2 young kids, fortunately they weren't in the car when it happened. Ford - need a solution to prevent this... not just reset it
I have B&O Unleashed. Hasn't happened to me yet, but last night was interesting. Went out to dinner. Raining when we left. No issues with sound. Still raining when we returned to the truck after dinner. Pressed the start button and "pop". All sound stopped working. First time that's ever happened. Restarts didn't help. Drove home in silence. This morning, fired it up and everything was fine as if it never happened. So my question is, if the deafening screeching noise ever happens, what's the immediate fix? Pull fuse 28? :unsure:
Sponsored

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
I have B&O Unleashed. Hasn't happened to me yet, but last night was interesting. Went out to dinner. Raining when we left. No issues with sound. Still raining when we returned to the truck after dinner. Pressed the start button and "pop". All sound stopped working. First time that's ever happened. Restarts didn't help. Drove home in silence. This morning, fired it up and everything was fine as if it never happened. So my question is, if the deafening screeching noise ever happens, what's the immediate fix? Pull fuse 28? :unsure:
Yes, pulling fuse 28 and putting it back in will get your sound back. As will possibly disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

If you get the screech... I guess best solution is to open the door really quickly to save your ears.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just had the issue happen to me a second time since buying the truck.

The first was approx at 12000km, now again at 22000km. First time I pulled and put back the fuse... this time I think @Ford Motor Company needs to investigate.

I've got 2 young kids, fortunately they weren't in the car when it happened. Ford - need a solution to prevent this... not just reset it
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, pulling fuse 28 and putting it back in will get your sound back. As will possibly disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

If you get the screech... I guess best solution is to open the door really quickly to save your ears.
Thanks. I’ll attempt to remember not to open door while driving. 😫

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Until someone gets the ball rolling on this, it’ll be a slow process to wait on ford for a fix. Need to force fords hand. Word of mouth is a powerful tool. I can’t help because I have the base system without this issue, and can’t submit my info. Good luck. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem

Good advice regarding reporting the issue to NHTSA.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle/vehicle-information

Until Ford gets a fix, it's a string on Fuse 28 and maybe these:

Ford F-150 Dangerous B&O sound system issue s-l500

Sponsored

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

melaza77

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Engineering
So after the latest software update the issue has not happened to me anymore, instead the full ford sync restart itself. So it seems the system is able to catch the issue and restart, it is not an elegant solution, but at least it is not blowing my kids ears. I still think ford should fix the issue entirely as with the restart it loses the directions from the navigatikn and you have to enter it all over again.

Thanks,

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So after the latest software update the issue has not happened to me anymore, instead the full ford sync restart itself. So it seems the system is able to catch the issue and restart, it is not an elegant solution, but at least it is not blowing my kids ears. I still think ford should fix the issue entirely as with the restart it loses the directions from the navigatikn and you have to enter it all over again.

Thanks,
Latest software update? 3.5.2? I have also had the Ford Sync display reboot twice on one long trip. I don't remember if the NAV reset, but it could have. I have never had the screech, so maybe the reboot does save us. Interesting.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the response Brad. I have not been able to replicate it either. I should note my truck is not a powerboost, it is a regular ecoboost. I did have a 2021 powerboost Limited but ordered a regular ecoboost Limited last Sept and took ownership of it at the beginning of Feb and traded the powerboost. I was not happy with the mileage of my powerboost. I had a 2019 limited with the HO and it was about 2 MPG better than the powerboost but that is another story I guess. Without having the hybrid battery, disconnecting the negative cable seemed to work so I am now carrying a 10 mm wrench in my console. I plan to take it to a dealer in Mesa at some point this week so everything is documented. All I can say is until you have heard the sound you can't believe how loud it is. If that happened while I was driving it could very easily cause a wreck.
I decided to add a 10mm wrench to my console since it would be quicker than pulling the fuse. I gained access to the LV Battery to confirm the 10mm wrench size. Interestingly, I found the 2 nuts on the battery post clamps were indeed 10 mm, but the nut in front of the positive post attaching the main hot wire with red insulation was 11mm!

Ford F-150 Dangerous B&O sound system issue Lightning LV Battery

Sponsored

wpbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB

Thanks,
My sync/screen has not reset itself but the most recent scenario was a loudish (not ear piercing) beep or honk sound at startup one time then no audio would work. Switching to AM (analog) and back to Sirius/Android Auto would reset the Amp.

Jombi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost

Thanks,
Just happened to me again today. Latest update doesn’t seem to have fixed it. I went a while without the problem so I assumed ford patched it. Jokes on me .
$80k ticking time bomb.

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Just happened to me again today. Latest update doesn’t seem to have fixed it. I went a while without the problem so I assumed ford patched it. Jokes on me .
$80k ticking time bomb.
Does that make the third time for you?

melaza77

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Engineering
Latest software update? 3.5.2? I have also had the Ford Sync display reboot twice on one long trip. I don't remember if the NAV reset, but it could have. I have never had the screech, so maybe the reboot does save us. Interesting.
This is the version i have

Ford F-150 Dangerous B&O sound system issue 20230106_174800
Sponsored