Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved - Lightning Pro
Occupation
Retired
Long story short:

15 Apr 2021 - Custom ordered F150

15 Apr - 15 Jun - Nothing from dealer

15 Jun - Cancelled order from dealer (Placed lightening Reservation)

22 Jul - Truck (Unexpectedly) arrives - dealer sends me a courtesy pic, mentions they're selling it for $1500 over MSRP (Total of $4500 more than my agreed price, before I cancelled) and that he already has a guy lined-up to buy. I congratulate him, and basically shrug it off.

23 Jul - Salesman calls, says there was a mixup between he and his manager, offers to honor my original deal, asks if I'm still interested.
- I jump thru a bunch of hoops and move money around to make the down payment (which I had already diverted towards a garage...)
- I get all excited and go to the dealership to inspect the truck. The truck is beautiful inside and out. Not a hint of rust anywhere underneath.

*** I take it for a test drive and am super impressed, and ready to buy, UNTILL - I make the final slow, right hand turn into the dealership and I hear the worst grinding, shuttering noise come from the rear end. It wasn't like a binding suspension shutter etc. - It literally sounded metal grinding together.

The salesman asks me to drive it directly to the service bay so they could inspect it - to which I replied that even if it was fixable - I was out.

Now my confidence in ford is really shaken. Not sure if I'm even going to entertain the lightening now...
Sponsored

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
Long story short:

22 Jul - Truck (Unexpectedly) arrives - dealer sends me a courtesy pic, mentions they're selling it for $1500 over MSRP (Total of $4500 more than my agreed price, before I cancelled) and that he already has a guy lined-up to buy. I congratulate him, and basically shrug it off.

23 Jul - Salesman calls, says there was a mixup between he and his manager, offers to honor my original deal, asks if I'm still interested.
- I jump thru a bunch of hoops and move money around to make the down payment (which I had already diverted towards a garage...)
- I get all excited and go to the dealership to inspect the truck. The truck is beautiful inside and out. Not a hint of rust anywhere underneath.

*** I take it for a test drive and am super impressed, and ready to buy, UNTILL - I make the final slow, right hand turn into the dealership and I hear the worst grinding, shuttering noise come from the rear end. It wasn't like a binding suspension shutter etc. - It literally sounded metal grinding together.

The salesman asks me to drive it directly to the service bay so they could inspect it - to which I replied that even if it was fixable - I was out.

Now my confidence in ford is really shaken. Not sure if I'm even going to entertain the lightening now...
Does it have a rear locking differential activated? It would shutter and vibrate rather nastily on a slow speed sharp turn.

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Doesn't sound like rear axle issue to me. If it was, you would have heard it long before you were pulling back into the dealership.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Long story short:

This sounds like "good Luck" to me - $3000 under invoice was not a good deal - do better on your next negotiation and don't settle for anything more than X-Plan and even that is just ok.

Sponsored

OP
OP
the.harold.c

the.harold.c

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved - Lightning Pro
Occupation
Retired
Does it have a rear locking differential activated? It would shutter and vibrate rather nastily on a slow speed sharp turn.
Truck was in 2-Hi / locker switch was off. I'm familiar with what having the rear locker activated sounds/ feels like. This was even worse - like something was literally eating itself.

Last edited:

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
This sounds like "good Luck" to me - $3000 under invoice was not a good deal - do better on your next negotiation and don't settle for anything more than X-Plan and even that is just ok.
huh? X-plan is invoice. 3k under that before any incentives is fantastic. Don’t let dealers fool you into thinking they reduced the price when all they did was use up your incentives.

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
Long story short:

Would the turn into the dealership cause the truck to flex at all? If it was a drop or rise, I wonder if the factory never seated the exhaust hangers correctly - you'd get a terrible noise of the rear axle grinding up against the metal of the exhaust. Had it happen once on a previous mustang of mine when upgrading it, made such a terrible noise I thought I broke the car.

If it was an issue with the rear, you'd have probably noticed it as soon as you got going.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Not sure of your relationship with your dealer/sales person, but to send you a pic of your truck you ordered after you cancelled and seemingly taunt you that he (almost) sold it for more money is rather pretentious and comes off like a super-douche to me.

I may have misinterpreted the tone of your post, but if that’s how it played out, I’d of told that guy to sod off!!

Did they ever tell you the diagnosis of that noise? It possibly could have been related to the diff. being locked or 4x4 being engaged like others have said.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
Not sure of your relationship with your dealer/sales person, but to send you a pic of your truck you ordered after you cancelled and seemingly taunt you that he (almost) sold it for more money is rather pretentious and comes off like a super-douche to me.

I may have misinterpreted the tone of your post, but if that’s how it played out, I’d of told that guy to sod off!!

Did they ever tell you the diagnosis of that noise? It possibly could have been related to the diff. being locked or 4x4 being engaged like others have said.
Not a very professional attitude. Maybe tell his service manager?

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A

This is the correct take. This is a seller's market, and an opportunity to see the real character of the people selling you something that they know that you want. Walk away. Also, maybe place your Lightening order with another dealer. They don't deserve your business.

mkinttrim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 4x4 501a
Occupation
retired
Ever had a small pebble get stuck between your caliper and rotor? Sounds like hell.

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
UNTILL - I make the final slow, right hand turn into the dealership and I hear the worst grinding, shuttering noise come from the rear end. It wasn't like a binding suspension shutter etc. - It literally sounded metal grinding together.
Yeah, maybe that "mixup" was the customer realizing the truck was busted. :)
Sponsored