Sponsored

Cylinder Deactivation

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat "Sport" FX4
Hey guys, so I've been driving around for a few days with my custom exhaust and my ears have grown attuned to the cylinder deactivation.

I find myself driving around in sport mode more because it disables cylinder Deactivation (and also because the coyote sounds so good when it's not short shifting).

I was wondering if anyone knew of any rumblings of a permanent solution to disabling it?

I know in the current climate with gas prices going where they are now some of us may be holding onto our MPGs with sacrosanct; but I bought this truck to hear that v8 purr, all 8 cylinders of it.
Sponsored

H-Town

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
Odd....I don't even notice it deactivating. Drove 600 miles to Dallas and back this weekend and never could tell.

OP
OP
M4X

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's pretty apparent on mine. I drove a Hemi around with a few years that had it so I have a keen ear to pick it up.

I could use a parabolic mic and capture it on video if anyone wants to hear what it sounds like with a muffler delete. I also gave a downpipe before the axle that probably amplifies it a little bit.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I cannot feel or hear it drop to 4 cylinders, but I have a super 8 long ass truck.
I can feel it kick back to all 8 tho. Feels like it downshifts a half gear.
Can see it happen on the mileage meter.
That meter moves right on up to 25-30 mpg when I’m just tooling at around 40-50.
Any acceleration at all, and it starts hitting on all 8.
Less of an annoyance than I expected and a lot less of an annoyance than the auto start/stop thing that I have to shut off.

OP
OP
M4X

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I cannot feel or hear it drop to 4 cylinders, but I have a super 8 long ass truck.
I can feel it kick back to all 8 tho. Feels like it downshifts a half gear.
Can see it happen on the mileage meter.
That meter moves right on up to 25-30 mpg when I’m just tooling at around 40-50.
Any acceleration at all, and it starts hitting on all 8.
Less of an annoyance than I expected and a lot less of an annoyance than the auto start/stop thing that I have to shut off.
Yeah that's what I expect most people's experience will be like. It enters deactivation pretty smoothly, but it makes a little bit of a noise/feel when it kicks out.

I really hope an aftermarket solution/mod comes out for it for pickier folks like myself.

Sponsored

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
Hey guys, so I've been driving around for a few days with my custom exhaust and my ears have grown attuned to the cylinder deactivation.

I find myself driving around in sport mode more because it disables cylinder Deactivation (and also because the coyote sounds so good when it's not short shifting).

I was wondering if anyone knew of any rumblings of a permanent solution to disabling it?

I know in the current climate with gas prices going where they are now some of us may be holding onto our MPGs with sacrosanct; but I bought this truck to hear that v8 purr, all 8 cylinders of it.
That’s cool that it disables in sport mode, though. That’s the first I’ve heard of that. I was hoping it would.

Rkh51

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep jl Toyota rav4
Yeah that's what I expect most people's experience will be like. It enters deactivation pretty smoothly, but it makes a little bit of a noise/feel when it kicks out.

I really hope an aftermarket solution/mod comes out for it for pickier folks like myself.
I hear if you unplug the battery Monitoring
System it will shut off the Deactivation system

OP
OP
M4X

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hear if you unplug the battery Monitoring
System it will shut off the Deactivation system
YouTube.
Nope. I actually have been in communication with the guy who originally started that rumor on youtube.

Disconnecting battery monitoring disables auto stop start, but it does NOT disable cylinder deactivation.

Ford F-150 Cylinder Deactivation Screenshot_20210417-172643