• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck Starting to Look Like a Truck

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
It’s called progress. Humans are really good at it. It’s not as scary as some would have you believe. All the goals you outlined will be accomplished over the next decade.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
I am much more interested in a BEV Maverick. I know I can get a rack to tote a kayak with it and have actually driven one. I think the Mav will have a great frunk area. I am curious on the about the CT frunk and such. The streamlining I find amusing as it is a truck that will be hauling loads and if your getting your millage thru aerodynamics you may be barking up the wrong towing trailer tree.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I liked the first version better. Not everyone's cup of tea, but at least it was clear what it was.

Now it feels like they are trying to widen the appeal to the mass market by adding more curves. The result is a confused looking truck.

I think Tesla (aka Elon) was betting that Joe Schmoe in middle America wouldn't be interested in an EV truck, so he went for a different market. Now that the success/excitement for the Lightning has shown different, he's scrambling to keep up.

And it's funny to see people in that thread expect to be getting their CT in June 22. Is that actually realistic?
They had no choice. It wasn't about mass appeal - it is about safety and meeting basic crash requirements. The first version was unbuildable - no way those sharp lines could pass EU and US pedestrian safety standards. There will be no CT in 2022. Probably not in 2023 either. They don't even have a tested and reliable battery form yet, much less a real idea about range. I have a CT order but expect to be driving my Lightning for a couple years before taking delivery. The CT is a LONG way from final design. They have no idea what to do with the windshield or wiper(s), for just one example. Flat simply is unworkable - flat planes cannot be swept or cleaned effectively in transport environments.

Duckwrangler

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda C5, Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
RN
They had no choice. It wasn't about mass appeal - it is about safety and meeting basic crash requirements. The first version was unbuildable - no way those sharp lines could pass EU and US pedestrian safety standards. There will be no CT in 2022. Probably not in 2023 either. They don't even have a tested and reliable battery form yet, much less a real idea about range. I have a CT order but expect to be driving my Lightning for a couple years before taking delivery. The CT is a LONG way from final design. They have no idea what to do with the windshield or wiper(s), for just one example. Flat simply is unworkable - flat planes cannot be swept or cleaned effectively in transport environments.
It's worse if they had to redesign it just to meet regulations that already existed at launch, rather than looking for more consumer appeal. This new iteration looks like a middle schooler was playing with some kind of "design your own future truck" app and they just went with it.

I have a late CT reservation, but I can pretty guarantee we won't convert it.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It's worse if they had to redesign it just to meet regulations that already existed at launch, rather than looking for more consumer appeal. This new iteration looks like a middle schooler was playing with some kind of "design your own future truck" app and they just went with it.

I have a late CT reservation, but I can pretty guarantee we won't convert it.
So I am assuming you think the first design was done by Pre-K when they were learning how to draw stick men?

They look the same with changes To meet regulations.

Sponsored

Duckwrangler

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
So I am assuming you think the first design was done by Pre-K when they were learning how to draw stick men?

They look the same with changes To meet regulations.
Nope, I thought the 1st design was cohesive with its proportions and all over angles. Not all that attractive in my eyes, but at least a cohesive design.

Now I think it looks confused, with the shorter curvy front end, and angled sharp back end.

(And taking reservations on what turns out to be a concept vehicle that has no chance of making it to market in its current design, without actually admitting that, seems pretty amateur.)

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Nope, I thought the 1st design was cohesive with its proportions and all over angles. Not all that attractive in my eyes, but at least a cohesive design.

Now I think it looks confused, with the shorter curvy front end, and angled sharp back end.

(And taking reservations on what turns out to be a concept vehicle that has no chance of making it to market in its current design, without actually admitting that, seems pretty amateur.)
Itll change at least 4 more times before they are done, to include a Frunk I bet. The first design was never going to make production. I’m not even sure if the retractable Tonneau will still be there

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Itll change at least 4 more times before they are done, to include a Frunk I bet. The first design was never going to make production. I’m not even sure if the retractable Tonneau will still be there
And the range will be far less than indicated, the windshield will be curved and underlay the hood, wheel will be more conventional etc, etc. There's a REASON that vehicles evolved to the current format and some changes just to be different are silly. See steering wheel vs. anything else...

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
And the range will be far less than indicated, the windshield will be curved and underlay the hood, wheel will be more conventional etc, etc. There's a REASON that vehicles evolved to the current format and some changes just to be different are silly. See steering wheel vs. anything else...
I think this was panned from day 1; come out with something so shockingly different that drives everyone crazy either loving it or hating it. Then simply make it a more.. realistic design

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I think the biggest blocker to wide acceptance of the Cybertruck is the shape - no way a pipe rack will be made for it. That severely limits the adoption in the trades community.

Without that demographic, it will be hard to generate the volume needed to make the ROI work I would think.

Sponsored

Duckwrangler

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
I think the biggest blocker to wide acceptance of the Cybertruck is the shape - no way a pipe rack will be made for it. That severely limits the adoption in the trades community.

Without that demographic, it will be hard to generate the volume needed to make the ROI work I would think.
I'm not in the trades, but it stopped being a real option for me once it hit me that I very likely wouldn't be able to reach down into the bed of the truck near the cab due to the high sloped sides. I'd have to reach over/around them, and I'm not tall enough. Maybe that's not the end of the world, but it makes it worth much less in my eyes. As a woman, I get enough side glances hauling stuff (do I really know how to tie down that load? Am I really going to load those 50 lb bags by myself? etc, etc.) I can just imagine pulling out a step stool in the Lowes parking lot just to reach the back corner of the truck bed.
???

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I have a CT reservation but I have to say the F-150 looks the way it does for very good and practical reasons. Will exercise my wave 1 order, cancel CT. The 49,990 dual motor will never be built anyway.
Ford F-150 Lightning Cybertruck Starting to Look Like a Truck IMG_20210725_145206996_HDR (1)
Sponsored