• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck Delayed Again - No new ETA

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Ford Authority article snippet:

The Tesla Cybertruck was revealed back in 2019, and the all-electric pickup was originally slated to launch by the end of 2021. However, that date was later pushed to 2022 and then late 2022, with production expected to fully ramp up in 2023. Now that 2022 has arrived, Tesla mysteriously removed any mention of the Cybertruck’s potential launch date from its official site, merely saying that reservation holders “will be able to complete your configuration as production nears.”
Sponsored

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT SC Sport - On Order - 2022 Lariat SC 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
Ford Authority article snippet:

The Tesla Cybertruck was revealed back in 2019, and the all-electric pickup was originally slated to launch by the end of 2021. However, that date was later pushed to 2022 and then late 2022, with production expected to fully ramp up in 2023. Now that 2022 has arrived, Tesla mysteriously removed any mention of the Cybertruck’s potential launch date from its official site, merely saying that reservation holders “will be able to complete your configuration as production nears.”
That truck looks like a Delorean and a Pontiac Aztec had a baby.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
So Tesla is supposed to announce a "product roadmap" for the Cybertruck on 1/26 after the bell, including design and price changes. Looks aside, just going by specs, there are some compelling reasons to get a Cybertruck vs. the Lightning. I'm a low res holder for both and could possibly be in wave 2 which would have emails sent out a week before the Tesla announcement. But I'm only interested in the dual motor CT which I'm sure will be delayed until at least mid 2023.

Lightning Pro SRCybertruck
Hauling2000 lbs3500 lbs (est)
onboard scales(unknown)
aluminum box30x stainless steel box
Towing8,000 lbs10,000 lbs
tow tech pkg(unknown)
Loading5.5' bed6.5' bed (may have changed with redesign)
flat sidessloped sides, side loading possibly awkward
no midgatepossibly a midgate
optional step gatebuilt-in ramp(?)
large powered frunk(unknown)
Securityoptional tonneaucovered vault with retractable tonneau
Onboard poweroptional 9kW w/ 220 vwill have it, specs unknown
optional V2H home backup(unknown)
Charging speedmax 150kW, slowwith 4680 cells possibly 300kW or better, fast
Range230 miles300 miles
AvailabilitySummer/Fall '22Summer/Fall '23 or longer
PriceUnder $50k, Fed tax rebateProbably over $50k

For me those are the big items...plushness inside and looks I don't care so much about. Just wondering if anyone else is weighing these two choices and what they are thinking.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The Dual motor is likely delayed far beyond 2023, if it is ever made. They already said they are starting with the quad motor, the then tri motor, with the dual motor coming last. Assuming they start deliveries in 2023 (in question), that would put the dual motor around 2025 - right around the launch of the Gen 2 Lightning.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
also have a cybertruck res and I'm in the same boat as you looking at dual motor vs lightning xlt. I doubt the tri-motor exists but agree the dual motor trucks will be pushed well into 2023 probably 2024.

Sponsored

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The Dual motor is likely delayed far beyond 2023, if it is ever made. They already said they are starting with the quad motor, the then tri motor, with the dual motor coming last. Assuming they start deliveries in 2023 (in question), that would put the dual motor around 2025 - right around the launch of the Gen 2 Lightning.
I read from Musk tweets it's Plaid, quad motor, dual motor. Given T's history... the base dual motor will be delayed to the point where people give up on waiting and order it with expensive options like 4 wheel steering. Those of us who were excited by seeing $50K at the 2019 reveal, have to be realistic and that number will be more like 70.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
You are probably right about the production dates. In all likelihood the decision will be made for me...either I won't be in the first few waves or the Pro will be sold out, etc. If the Pro is sold out and the the dual motor CT is delayed I suppose I could defer my reservation until they announce the Gen 2 Lightning specs and compare that against the CT.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Does Ford have deals with multiple battery and raw material suppliers? LG chem is currently supplying the batteries for Mach-e and they struck the deal with SK for future battery development but Tesla seems to have a head start on this front. Deals with multiple cell suppliers like Panasonic and CATL plus building their own now. And they’re currently cutting deals with raw material suppliers of lithium, nickel and graphite. Future of cars depends on who controls the supply chain. Get on it Ford!

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
Does Ford have deals with multiple battery and raw material suppliers? LG chem is currently supplying the batteries for Mach-e and they struck the deal with SK for future battery development but Tesla seems to have a head start on this front. Deals with multiple cell suppliers like Panasonic and CATL plus building their own now. And they’re currently cutting deals with raw material suppliers of lithium, nickel and graphite. Future of cars depends on who controls the supply chain. Get on it Ford!
Yes, the batteries in the Lightning are supposed to be SK's NCM 9-1/2-1/2, I think at least through to the gen 2 version. Idk how many SK can supply, though. If Tesla gets 4680 production going expect the Cybertruck production timeline to get moved up...as you say, they already have agreements for the raw materials in place.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Wasn’t the $40K Cybertruck a 2wd stripper version and the 4x4 was $50K? Seems like the Lightning Pro with 4x4 standard is a much better value at $40K especially if you get the tax rebate. I’m sticking with my first wave Pro order. If the Cybertruck exists later and is significantly better I can always upgrade.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Wasn’t the $40K Cybertruck a 2wd stripper version and the 4x4 was $50K? Seems like the Lightning Pro with 4x4 standard is a much better value at $40K especially if you get the tax rebate. I’m sticking with my first wave Pro order. If the Cybertruck exists later and is significantly better I can always upgrade.
Yes, and it has since been cancelled.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I read from Musk tweets it's Plaid, quad motor, dual motor. Given T's history... the base dual motor will be delayed to the point where people give up on waiting and order it with expensive options like 4 wheel steering. Those of us who were excited by seeing $50K at the 2019 reveal, have to be realistic and that number will be more like 70.
I have a feeling you don’t have enough digits in your numbers. My guess is that the reasonably equipped version of the cyber truck will top 100k pretty easily.
Sponsored