First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Supercrew
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
Just wanted to make a quick post trying the clarify this new Customer Satisfaction Program that came out.

CSP 21M08 Unintended Tailgate opening is in the advance notice stage so there are no repairs or parts available at this time.

With that being said this is NOT a recall rather its an EXTENDED COVERAGE for 10 years or 150,000 miles. When parts do become available you should only go to the dealer for this repair if you are experiencing issues with the tailgate opening unintentionally.

Please feel free to ask my any questions you may have regarding this recall or anything Ford related.

Here is the letter from FOMOCO

Ford F-150 Customer Satisfaction Program 21M08 Unintended Tailgate Opening D0E5ADFE-0410-42CD-A3C0-C29D6C0EC2FE
Sponsored

Last edited:

F150 John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
My Ford pass app shows this issue but so far never had any issues with my tailgate.

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Supercrew
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
My Ford pass app shows this issue but so far never had any issues with my tailgate.
All that is its informing you of the open recall campaign

F150 John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
I see that just relaying that in the 3 months I have had my truck there have been no issue so far.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
This happened to me 1 time. So thank you for notifying us.

The only reason I knew it occurred was because of the FordPass app notification. I just assumed that the button double pushed in my pocket. My truck was parked backed into the carport with TG about 12 inches from a wooden picket fence, so the TG tapped the wood and returned the TG to the closed position before I was aware.

This always puzzled me because I was just standing in the kitchen talking to my better half when it happened. IE: I wasn’t climbing through the attic while the keys were wedged against a rafter, so it just blew my mind how this could have happened.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Supercrew
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
This happened to me 1 time. So thank you for notifying us.

The only reason I knew it occurred was because of the FordPass app notification. I just assumed that the button double pushed in my pocket. My truck was parked backed into the carport with TG about 12 inches from a wooden picket fence, so the TG tapped the wood and returned the TG to the closed position before I was aware.

This always puzzled me because I was just standing in the kitchen talking to my better half when it happened. IE: I wasn’t climbing through the attic while the keys were wedged against a rafter, so it just blew my mind how this could have happened.
The previous generation F150/F250/F350 had this issue as well and it was a problem with the wiring going to the tailgate. Not sure what the problem is with the new Gen but I am going to assume the the same.

Caperjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Super Crew Sport 4x4 with 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Field Technician
Just wanted to make a quick post trying the clarify this new Customer Satisfaction Program that came out.

CSP 21M08 Unintended Tailgate opening is in the advance notice stage so there are no repairs or parts available at this time.

With that being said this is NOT a recall rather its an EXTENDED COVERAGE for 10 years or 150,000 miles. When parts do become available you should only go to the dealer for this repair if you are experiencing issues with the tailgate opening unintentionally.

Please feel free to ask my any questions you may have regarding this recall or anything Ford related.

Here is the letter

Caperjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Super Crew Sport 4x4 with 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Field Technician
Only issue I've ever had with the tailgate would be accidently pressing the tailgate release button while reaching for the propower button. Typically one of the first things I do when starting the truck is turn off the propower. I've had it happen once where I didn't realize I had opened the tailgate and drove several miles with it open.

Sponsored

Skifishbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
this shows up in in my ford pass however my truck was built after the impacted dates. Does this mean I’m not impacted or the above pdf is incorrect ?

MLMACCHIA

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150

Here is the letter from FOMOCO

D0E5ADFE-0410-42CD-A3C0-C29D6C0EC2FE.jpeg
I just learned of this recall notice last week, hadn't received it in the mail. In fact I have had unintended tailgate opening no less than 4 times in my '21 F150, all times it happened while driving, the most recent time was this past April while I was towing a trailer, and the tailgate contacted the tongue jack of the trailer and caused extensive body damage to the top of the tailgate. I submitted to my insurance company before I learned of the recall, but the repair hasn't been done yet. Will Ford be liable for the damage since this is a known issue?

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I just learned of this recall notice last week, hadn't received it in the mail. In fact I have had unintended tailgate opening no less than 4 times in my '21 F150, all times it happened while driving, the most recent time was this past April while I was towing a trailer, and the tailgate contacted the tongue jack of the trailer and caused extensive body damage to the top of the tailgate. I submitted to my insurance company before I learned of the recall, but the repair hasn't been done yet. Will Ford be liable for the damage since this is a known issue?
As others have pointed out, it is not a recall. The letter they send is either poorly written or deliberately foggy.

They are basically saying:

If you had the problem and paid to get it fixed, or had it fixed under warranty...or had damage resulting from the issue Ford will reimburse you and do the "enhanced repair" which I assume means a repair that actually fixes it.

If you have the problem in the future, Ford will fix it for up to 10 years or 150,000 miles.

Ford F-150 Customer Satisfaction Program 21M08 Unintended Tailgate Opening Screenshot 2022-06-28 130435

If you don't have the problem the letter is a bit foggy but I read it as saying g you can get "the enhanced repair".

They don't say what the "enhanced repair" is but they say maybe late this year they'll figure it out and have the parts.
In the meantime, I think I'll go put some foam on the garage door for when it happens or I suppose I could pull in further but that puts the front end less than the length of a rake from where my wife precariously hangs the rake...risky either way.
Ford F-150 Customer Satisfaction Program 21M08 Unintended Tailgate Opening 20220619_153612

Ford F-150 Customer Satisfaction Program 21M08 Unintended Tailgate Opening 20220619_153556

Last edited:

John_h

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 Ecoboost XLT Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I've had this happen several times in my '21. Before I got my canopy installed, I would step outside to find the tailgate down. With the canopy on, it holds the tailgate in the up position, but not latched. I've gotten in the habit of checking the tailgate whenever I'm carrying a load in the back.

I always assumed that the button on my keyfob was somehow activating in my pocket. The same way it will sometimes activate the panic alarm.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
This letter arrived yesterday in the mail. It states parts may be available in late Q3 to do the enhanced repair.

Ford F-150 Customer Satisfaction Program 21M08 Unintended Tailgate Opening 1656507190419

Ford F-150 Customer Satisfaction Program 21M08 Unintended Tailgate Opening 1656507220812
Sponsored