Raicilla

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat SCREW AMB 157" PowerBoost 7.2kW
Objective:

Display "always-on" video through the "all-new" F150's 12.3" center-stack screen from a camera installed on the back of a Trailer or 5th-wheel.
Ford F-150 Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera 61ebylVPLTL._AC_SX679_

Considerations:​
  • We need a good view directly behind the trailer, day or night, rain or shine .
  • Since the interior rear-view mirror is useless when pulling a trailer, a camera on the back of the trailer will be a substitute.
  • Wireless would be best, but running wire from the rear of the trailer to the hitch area could be an option.
  • The "rear-view" should be visible optionally at all times, at all speeds, whether in forward or reverse gear.
  • Adding an "extra" monitor to the cab is not a good option (whether mounted on the dash or interior mirror); Likewise, viewing the rear facing trailer camera with a portable phone is not viable, IMHO.

Ford F-150 Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera 61ebylVPLTL._AC_SX679_

SYNC® 4 should be able to do this, right?
https://www.ford.com/technology/sync/sync-4/

This is not a particularly helpful video: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/safety/driver-assist-technology/cameras/how-to-place-a-trailer-camera.html

Reference:
Dealer Installed Options (DIO) – Shipped separately from the vehicle for dealer installation
Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tpms-sensor-13115.html#2021/F-150

Thoughts, please?

Thanks in advance, oh generous and wise Forum members...
Happy New Year and good riddance to 2020!

⏭ Time-Waster Alert: Valeo XtraVue Trailer [pretty cool, but apparently not available 1 year after "news release" ?].

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

This TFL video has a ford rep explain all the camera tech in the superduty (that is now in the new F150). She explains why the rear camera is wired (for reliability).

I have not figured out whether it can be used to see if someone is up your a$$ on the freeway but I would love that. No video I have watched has said it that I'm aware. BUT I have seen mention that the BED camera is useable at speed so you can monitor your load, so perhaps the AUX camera is as well?

readingk

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer
Hi Rudy,
Good questions, sorry can't answer but was wondering if this backup camera could be use whilst using the "pro trailer back up".
That i would be my first question .... like you would be interested in comments/suggestions

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I've been researching trying to be able to toggle cameras while in motion for F150 2021. I am optioned for the Camera 360 which also seems to come with the wiring for behind the trailer camera that can be bought/installed.

Unfortunately, there isn't any FORSCAN optioning for this yet...still too new. But in previous model years there were two companies, NavTV and Naviik, that produced an inline module that enables cameras while in motion. Nothing has been announced for 2021 models.

Its intriguing that other model cars like Honda and Tesla allow the driver to trigger all outside cameras while in motion, either by using the assigned switch or turn signals.

Jposey

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum FX4 V8 3.73
I have submitted a ticket to Ford for this idea. I don’t understand why I can’t view my cameras at any speed. You can if your below 5mph,
but after that the screen goes back to normal. I need to make sure that weird sound I just heard is not my hitch coming apart.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have submitted a ticket to Ford for this idea. I don’t understand why I can’t view my cameras at any speed. You can if your below 5mph,
but after that the screen goes back to normal. I need to make sure that weird sound I just heard is not my hitch coming apart.
You can't view the bed camera either? I could swear I saw it mentioned somewhere that at least that one you can view your load to make sure it is safe, going down the freeway....

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Totally agree. Competitors do it. How do you submit a suggestion to Ford?

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Completely agree. My bed view camera should show me the front window of my horse trailer, which is a handy thing when you hear noise coming from the trailer. I'd like to be able to check the camera and make sure that a horse is just kicking and not actually falling or in distress. At the moment, I have to peer in my side mirror, which gives me a partial view of the trailer front window.

I also plan on hooking up a camera inside the trailer, and I'll want to be able to monitor that while I'm driving.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Totally agree. Competitors do it. How do you submit a suggestion to Ford?
OTA software update.
SO, this is NOT a reply to this post. Clearly my response was off base. Not sure how you get a ticket submitted to Ford. But, the response was intended to be to another question regarding "how could Ford make the Trailer camera optionally on, at any speed".

Last edited:

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
The trailer camera is a dealer provide, customer installed accessory. When I did my Build and Price in September it was on my build sheet. When I got my VIN it was not listed, but the dealer said they got a message from Ford that it could be ordered from the dealer when the trucks arrives. I still don’t have a build date yet so I have not followed up with the dealer.

Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
How/where does one find details of the trailer camera?

I am buying a camping trailer and it has an option for a wireless backup camera. But, it requires a display monitor wired with 12V plug. The trailer is a 5th wheel (small), if that matters.

I'd prefer to avoid that if I could get a trailer camera by Ford / integrated with a 2021 Ford platinum.... So, any info on that would be very helpful. Also, is the trailer camera wireless or does one needs to run wires to the front of the trailer. Any installation details (relevant to camper) would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It has been part of the "ultimate tow package" from the Superduty line since 2017, so you can find videos of it already. The gen14 F150 is just getting this tech waterfalled from there.

This is the short Ford video:

And here is some dude choosing to route the cable under his trailer chassis:

And this ford rep showing the 360 camera tech to TFL:

The reason for wired is for reliability is my guess. It isn't just simple data packets exchanged, we want live streaming video on our high rez screen and to guarantee that on longer trailers you'd want a powerful signal (like 11n MCS0) even though we'd want a higher Mbps for better video.

Your trailer is most likely pre-wired for a Furrion backup camera right? I have never gotten mine because I don't want ANOTHER thing crowding my dash area. I also want it in the Sync4 AUX camera but I will absolutely hate that long ass cable. Le sigh....

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you very much! My trailer is a 21-ft Escape 5th wheel. I have the option to buy their camera but it is wireless and comes with its own monitor. I don't want monitors for backup camera, TPMS, etc. cluttering the inside of the truck if possible...

The problem is that I am not a DIY person and the only tool I own is a credit card. So, if I drop the camera from the trailer manufacturer and go this route - who can I turn to to do a neat and reliable install? Is it something Ford dealers do?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you very much! My trailer is a 21-ft Escape 5th wheel. I have the option to buy their camera but it is wireless and comes with its own monitor. I don't want monitors for backup camera, TPMS, etc. cluttering the inside of the truck if possible...

The problem is that I am not a DIY person and the only tool I own is a credit card. So, if I drop the camera from the trailer manufacturer and go this route - who can I turn to to do a neat and reliable install? Is it something Ford dealers do?
Hmm. I do 3 types of mods on mine: 1) easy things in my domain and capabilities, 2) more challenging custom mods my father in law likes doing, and 3) mods needing an RV shop and requiring no implementation choice or creativity.

If you want to push everything to category 3, then you need to quickly find a favorite "trailer guy" with a good shop and friendly attitude. We had a guy we loved that retired, and it has taken 3 mods at different shops before finding a new one that I can trust again to not gauge me and do excellent work. The hunting process is NOT fun so I feel for ya.... I also haven't yet used a "trailer guy" for anything requiring implementation choice, only stuff that is a straightforward repair, upgrade, or install from the books. This cable one I would want absolute control and decision over so you are gonna want someone willing to clearly discuss the work ahead of time.

Good luck!

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@daemonic3 - Thanks a lot for your advice. I kind of figured that. It's not going to be easy... But, having a high quality rear camera for the trailer integrated into F150's system seems like a huge improvement over a low resolution backup camera with standalone display.
Sponsored