First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Hopefully it’s better quality then the oem reverse camera. Mine is so poor quality it’s almost unusable
Sponsored

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
Hmm. I do 3 types of mods on mine: 1) easy things in my domain and capabilities, 2) more challenging custom mods my father in law likes doing, and 3) mods needing an RV shop and requiring no implementation choice or creativity.

If you want to push everything to category 3, then you need to quickly find a favorite "trailer guy" with a good shop and friendly attitude. We had a guy we loved that retired, and it has taken 3 mods at different shops before finding a new one that I can trust again to not gauge me and do excellent work. The hunting process is NOT fun so I feel for ya.... I also haven't yet used a "trailer guy" for anything requiring implementation choice, only stuff that is a straightforward repair, upgrade, or install from the books. This cable one I would want absolute control and decision over so you are gonna want someone willing to clearly discuss the work ahead of time.

Good luck!
Our trucks are delivered with the LC3T-14G621-AD kit which includes a yaw sensor and wiring to install it on a travel trailer along with a 12-pin connector. This kit is used in lieu of the reflective tape to setup the Pro Trailer backup assist which is not available yet in the Sync 4 software. The problem is if you want to add a camera and TPMS it looks like you have to buy Kit P/N ML3Z-1A189-E "Trailer TPMS Monitor-With Camera, TPMS and YAW sensor" which includes the YAW sensor which we don't need. Seeing as we only have one 12 pin connector to plug into, it appears you have to have this ($911.00 retail) kit with a Yaw sensor that isn't needed, so we can use the cable that is wired for everything instead of just for the YAW sensor. I have yet to find a kit P/N that can be purchased without the YAW sensor and yet be wired for an existing sensor. Not to mention that some people may already have a TPMS on their Trailer and not need Ford's TPMS. Maybe someone can get a ticket on this with Ford. It would be nice if all cables were pre-wired for the YAW, TPMS and the backup camera and then we could pick which accessories we wanted. I really only want the backup camera, but $911.00 plus tax seems excessive although I have seen them discounted to around $695.00. I hope I'm wrong about all this and Ford will come up with a more reasonable option to get a rear camera that will display on our 12" screen as an aux camera. FWIW I did find that the YAW kit on ebay goes for around $185.00 which we could sell to go towards the more expensive kit assuming you haven't installed the sensor yet and someone on Ebay needs a second YAW sensor.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Our trucks are delivered with the LC3T-14G621-AD kit which includes a yaw sensor and wiring to install it on a travel trailer along with a 12-pin connector. This kit is used in lieu of the reflective tape to setup the Pro Trailer backup assist which is not available yet in the Sync 4 software. The problem is if you want to add a camera and TPMS it looks like you have to buy Kit P/N ML3Z-1A189-E "Trailer TPMS Monitor-With Camera, TPMS and YAW sensor" which includes the YAW sensor which we don't need. Seeing as we only have one 12 pin connector to plug into, it appears you have to have this ($911.00 retail) kit with a Yaw sensor that isn't needed, so we can use the cable that is wired for everything instead of just for the YAW sensor. I have yet to find a kit P/N that can be purchased without the YAW sensor and yet be wired for an existing sensor. Not to mention that some people may already have a TPMS on their Trailer and not need Ford's TPMS. Maybe someone can get a ticket on this with Ford. It would be nice if all cables were pre-wired for the YAW, TPMS and the backup camera and then we could pick which accessories we wanted. I really only want the backup camera, but $911.00 plus tax seems excessive although I have seen them discounted to around $695.00. I hope I'm wrong about all this and Ford will come up with a more reasonable option to get a rear camera that will display on our 12" screen as an aux camera. FWIW I did find that the YAW kit on ebay goes for around $185.00 which we could sell to go towards the more expensive kit assuming you haven't installed the sensor yet and someone on Ebay needs a second YAW sensor.
Also that $900 camera can't be used as a rear view to see what's behind you on the freeway, like a 3rd party (with extra screen) can do. But that integration in sync would be awesome for backing up.

How's your truck tracking? Still "in production"? Hope we're shipping out on a train together ASAP because I really need it to meet/beat that 3/3 ETA...

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
Also that $900 camera can't be used as a rear view to see what's behind you on the freeway, like a 3rd party (with extra screen) can do. But that integration in sync would be awesome for backing up.

How's your truck tracking? Still "in production"? Hope we're shipping out on a train together ASAP because I really need it to meet/beat that 3/3 ETA...
I've had my truck since the 8th, but because of a pinched wire I didn't really get it back from the dealer until the 18th! It's been awesome since then. Put a Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover, stubby antenna and Mud flaps on it. So far it's flawless. Amazing truck!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've had my truck since the 8th, but because of a pinched wire I didn't really get it back from the dealer until the 18th! It's been awesome since then. Put a Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover, stubby antenna and Mud flaps on it. So far it's flawless. Amazing truck!
Oh awesome, congrats! I think I had you confused with a dude from Vegas with "desert" in his name. Now I remember you from the trailer conversations, my bad!

What wire was pinched? And what problems did it manifest as?

Sponsored

pmascari

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 2018 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
IT
Anyone get that $911 camera from Ford yet? I'm not interested in viewing while at speed, although I'd probably use it if it was available. But, I'm a newbie travel trailer owner and would like to use it with the trailer back-up assist.

I've scoured the internet and found no other cameras compatible with the Sync 4 system yet. Too new.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have submitted a ticket to Ford for this idea. I don’t understand why I can’t view my cameras at any speed. You can if your below 5mph,
but after that the screen goes back to normal. I need to make sure that weird sound I just heard is not my hitch coming apart.
Yes!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!

OP
OP
Raicilla

Raicilla

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat SCREW AMB 157" PowerBoost 7.2kW
Ford F-150 Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera 1615486246525 . . . well, it appears an "always-on" rear-view trailer camera is NOT gonna be viewable thru the Sync4 screen anytime soon (if ever ~~ ugh!).

I will probably go with this "mirror" add-on from Holoview:
https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wireless-rearview-observation-mirror-dashcam-mc10.html
Ford F-150 Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera 1615486008500 The wireless rearview observation mirror dashcam system has a front-facing camera and a waterproof exterior rear-facing camera that looks perfect for any vehicle where rear visibility is obscured!
The display "straps" over the existing rear-view mirror; the rear camera goes where you need it and the rearview mirror monitor gets power from a cigarette lighter power outlet.
It records video (or takes still-shots) and has good night vision (infrared, baby!) from the rear-facing camera.
. . . and no gigantic extra monitor to clutter up the dash of a brand-new truck!
Ford F-150 Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera 1615487407898

Ford F-150 Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera 1615486378828

What say ye, fellas?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
That's pretty great! It's really too bad that they got rid of the 12V plug up front on the 7.2kW propower. Otherwise that looks like the best solution so far that doesn't add extra screens (just uses the mirror you already can't use when towing).

My trailer is prewired for a furrion camera on the rear, I wonder if that means the power supply would be compatible with the "furrion adapter" they list.

Sponsored

Drmadeit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Cabinet guy
I bought the $400 kit. It came with the tpms cable. My 12 pin under the truck only has 2 wires tho. Not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to be or if I need to do something different.

christophers

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
I bought the $400 kit. It came with the tpms cable. My 12 pin under the truck only has 2 wires tho. Not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to be or if I need to do something different.
does it work?

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So digging up this thread. It's still not clear to me what aftermarket options are available to add a camera. Anyone successfully added an aftermarket camera to sync 4?

I'd actually like to add one to the truck camper I'm getting because the tailgate cam will likely be blocked by a bike rack when I'm traveling.

pmascari

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 2018 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
IT
Anyone get that $911 camera from Ford yet? I'm not interested in viewing while at speed, although I'd probably use it if it was available. But, I'm a newbie travel trailer owner and would like to use it with the trailer back-up assist.

I've scoured the internet and found no other cameras compatible with the Sync 4 system yet. Too new.
I had order the $900 kit back in Feb '21 but it was on back order. By June it was still on back order with no new info from Ford. Figuring it was being delayed by the chip shortage we keep hearing about I cancelled the order. Plus, reading all the posts on the subject, I wasn't going to be able to use it while driving, anyway... So, I bought a simple wireless trailer cam and now have its separate screen sitting on my dash. Didn't want the extra clutter, but there seems to be no other choices for the Sync 4 yet.

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager

If you have a late build F150 you CAN view the camera while driving down the highway! Now I'm trying to find the camera so I can do it.
Most important for me is a camera, Second is TPMS (I already have a decent aftermarket tpms kit, but would prefer it be integrated) and third importance is the yaw sensor (I'm cool with using the sticker if it saves money).
So I'd like to see the price difference between all three, camera/tpms or just camera.
I can't find definite answer that the existing kits made for super-duties will work on our trucks.
Sponsored