First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Occupation
Pilot
I ordered my Lariat back in November (Powerboost 2WD). I was just advised of my 4th production delay. Production date is now 4/30 with an estimated delivery by the middle of May. I fully expect it will probably get delayed again. However, dealers have been selling similar 2021 trucks. Are custom orders low on the production priority because Ford knows they have already sold it so they prioritize dealer deliveries? I am well aware of the chip shortage but they are still building trucks albeit at lower rate. This has been a very frustrating process.
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Special orders are a higher priority than stock/retail orders from what I've read. What other options did you order? Did you have any constraint options selected? Any chance your dealer didn't have any remaining allocation for your order?

OP
OP

busdriver

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Occupation
Pilot
Special orders are a higher priority than stock/retail orders from what I've read. What other options did you order? Did you have any constraint options selected? Any chance your dealer didn't have any remaining allocation for your order?
Initial delays was supposedly due to an axle shortage. Now it's a chip shortage. However, Ford has never given me an official reason. I ordered the 502A High so I guess there's a lot of chips:oops:

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Initial delays was supposedly due to an axle shortage. Now it's a chip shortage. However, Ford has never given me an official reason. I ordered the 502A High so I guess there's a lot of chips:oops:
I’m with you on this. There have been literally hundreds of thousands of trucks built and delivered since I ordered my custom order in September and you in November. Many have continued to be built and completed while mine has remained in production for the past 8+ weeks. I’m sure your 502A build requires a lot of chips, but they are still building a lot of those for others.

I’m not sure what system they have in place for prioritizing builds, but it isn’t making sense and certainly isn’t working out in favor of those who committed to Ford.

I think that they are prioritizing finishing whatever truck is currently on the line when the parts come in. Those of us that have a truck that was begun to be built, and then wasn’t finished because of waiting for a chip or for some other part, that truck was put out to pasture and then when the parts come in they’re going to currently being built trucks, not on the truck that had its production halted. That is my theory.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I ordered a 502A as well in the beginning of March and my truck is almost through production. The only constraint option I had was the interior work surface. Did you order Max Tow? That's been the only thing I've seen in common for people waiting 6+ months. There are other options that will delay production as well.

Sponsored

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I certainly can feel for you guys who have been waiting so long.

I'm wondering if some orders are kind of out of the ordinary so that they have fewer parts in the pipeline. I would think a 2wd version of a Power boost might be pretty rare. The whole front axel, transmission and drive train will be different from a 4x4 system.

Like a SuperCrew with the 6.5' bed vs a 5.5' bed. Since the 5.5' bed is so popular they run lots of parts for it but the longer bed needs a longer drive shaft, wiring harness, brake lines, frame rails etc.

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
I ordered a 502A as well in the beginning of March and my truck is almost through production. The only constraint option I had was the interior work surface. Did you order Max Tow? That's been the only thing I've seen in common for people waiting 6+ months. There are other options that will delay production as well.
I did order max tow. Lariat 501A powerboost FX4 with max tow and wheel well liners. No bed liner, no tonneau cover.

I know there have been constraints on max tow. However, you can look around at the dealerships and find tons of trucks with max tow, so they are definitely being built. I think OP’s question of if they are deprioritizing custom builds is a good one since dealer/stock trucks are getting built and similarly spec’d custom trucks aren’t, even with the same part shortages.

I can find the same truck I ordered all over the place with everything except for the bench seat up front. If I didn’t need that, I would have bought one off a lot a long time ago.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
While not as bad as you guys that have ordered in 2020, I ordered early Jan. and have been bumped a couple times already. Currently scheduled for April 28th. I've pretty much decided that any more delays after the 28th and I am going to cancel the order and wait until things settle down with the supply chain.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
While there are max tow trucks out there, we have no idea when those stock orders were submitted our how long they took to get to the dealers. I do agree that the process of trucks being scheduled/built/shipped/delivered is as clear as mud, there are typically reasons behind delays. Unfortunately trying to get a straight answer from Ford or the dealership is harder than getting a special order truck.

Thegrayone

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford explorer
I ordered mine 2/24/21 and it’s a max tow 3.5 and it’s a 302a. Nothing too special. If it gets to be much longer I will probably cancel the order and just buy from a dealer lot. I can’t see waiting that long.

Thegrayone

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford explorer
So I was just watching ArmyProperty on YouTube and he was saying they have halted production.... Idk how much truth there is to this but it definitely doesn’t sound good... I’m afraid the dealers are going to stop discounting the trucks and charge over msrp just because they know they can get it.
Sponsored