• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Current EV owners question re: stuck in traffic with low charge

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
current jam in VA makes me nervous even if I have more juice in my EV then my trip required.

I don’t know if lightening has heat pump or not my Mach-E looses about 30% range in eastern cold weather. If lightening will have same issue I will be Cancelling my initial reservation.
The drop in range is more from air density (cold air is denser) and rolling resistance than it is using the heat. I did some back-of-the-napkin calculations on air density and range on the TMC forum.

Similarly, people attribute poor gas mileage in the winter to the engine running richer at startup to bring the engine up to temperature - and this is true, but even on a long trip, mileage is worse. It's also true that an engine needs more fuel when getting cooler air to maintain the same air/fuel ratio, and that means more power (this is why cold air intakes are popular) but when cruising you only need as much power to overcome rolling and wind resistance to maintain your speed, so you'd just draw in less air to make the same power... unless you need more power to overcome more wind resistance in colder air (hint: you do).​
Most are familiar with losing range in the winter, but it's often blamed on the fact that the cabin and battery heating elements consume power. This is true, but when I tested this last winter by driving 2 hours with a pre-warmed battery in cold temperatures and I only used the seat heater, I found my range didn't really improve much. In reality, air temperature makes a good dent on consumption for both ICE and electric vehicles. I used these two pages to calculate the wind load on a Model S at various speeds and temperatures. I set the drag are of the S to 0.575999 square meters and atmospheric pressure to 1 bar. Note: this is amateur hour since I am not an engineer, so maybe someone can check my math.​
Wind Load vs. Wind Speed
Wind load on surface - Wind load calculator.​
Ford F-150 Lightning Current EV owners question re: stuck in traffic with low charge QWlyIERlbnNpdHkgQ2FsY3VsYXRvc
Air Density Calculator - What is the Density of Air?
Use the online air density calculator to find out the density of air at any given temperature and pressure.​
Temperature​
Air Density​
Wind Speed (m/s)​
Speed (mph)​
Wind load (Newtons)​
32F (dry)​
1.27537​
35​
~78​
450​
80F 60%RH​
1.15273​
35​
~78​
407​
32F (dry)​
1.27537​
27​
~60​
268​
80F 60%RH​
1.15273​
27​
~60​
242​
The load is almost 11% higher in colder temperatures. Load is also a lot lower at lower speeds.​
If you're just creeping through traffic or in complete standstill, your energy consumption will be very low. See videos from Bjorn Nyland on YT to see how much battery is consumed while maintaining cabin temperature. To the person who lost 20% in 30 minutes, you have other sources of battery loss, perhaps from the battery heater running if you started the car with a stone cold battery. I lose 20% battery in 30 minutes only when I'm driving at 70mph, and propelling the car down the highway uses way, way more energy than the cabin heater.
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I'm more worried about EV drivers getting stranded in a drive thru line than getting stuck in a blizzard.

My in-laws apparently waited in line at a new Whataburger location for 2 hours last weekend. They would have never gotten their patty melt if they had been driving an EV!

Sometimes Chik-fil-A is worse. So many people could go hungry or die if we're all forced to drive EVs!

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The problem with the electric infrastructure is in almost every location there's about a five times amount of use during the day. Ideally one would be able to run nuclear power at the same rate all day and all night.
Many companies offer an incentive to charge at night the reason being they can keep their systems more stable.
You'd have to already be at about 10% charge to run out of power waiting for a hamburger in 3 hours.
EVs don't just die they slowly die they start turning off stuff.

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant

broncoaz

Threads