Sponsored

Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Kind of off topic question, but it is electrical lighting.

I am underwhelmed with the BLIS. It works great but there is just not enough to it. When you want to change lanes you have to look for a small yellow light in the mirror and that is all you get. If you turn on your directional light when BLIS is active you do not even get an auditable alarm. You must remove your attention from straight ahead to find the small yellow light. This is made worse when it is bright daylight. Again it works alright but it could be so much better.

My dad bought a new Sante Fe and it gives you the camera shot of the blind spot when you turn on the blinker. This was outstanding.

With that said I would like to "tap into" the power line that gives power to the BLIS lights in the mirror. When they activate I would like to add a small LED light in each corner of the dash that also lights up alerting you that is activated without having to look at the side mirrors. This would let you keep your eyes looking somewhat forward and not having to strain to see if it is activated. The mirror and BLIS combo is good but I do not think a small LED notifying you BLIS is active would be a distraction. In fact I think it would help as father time is marching on.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this or if they think it is even possible. It seems fairly simple but perhaps I am unaware of issues it could create. Thanks for any reply.
Sponsored

Papaw2018

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer Tech
Kind of off topic question, but it is electrical lighting.

I am underwhelmed with the BLIS. It works great but there is just not enough to it. When you want to change lanes you have to look for a small yellow light in the mirror and that is all you get. If you turn on your directional light when BLIS is active you do not even get an auditable alarm. You must remove your attention from straight ahead to find the small yellow light. This is made worse when it is bright daylight. Again it works alright but it could be so much better.

My dad bought a new Sante Fe and it gives you the camera shot of the blind spot when you turn on the blinker. This was outstanding.

With that said I would like to "tap into" the power line that gives power to the BLIS lights in the mirror. When they activate I would like to add a small LED light in each corner of the dash that also lights up alerting you that is activated without having to look at the side mirrors. This would let you keep your eyes looking somewhat forward and not having to strain to see if it is activated. The mirror and BLIS combo is good but I do not think a small LED notifying you BLIS is active would be a distraction. In fact I think it would help as father time is marching on.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this or if they think it is even possible. It seems fairly simple but perhaps I am unaware of issues it could create. Thanks for any reply.
Sound cool and interesting. I know the Honda Civic has a camera on the right mirror bottom that when you activate the turn signal the camera turns on and shows on the dash screen the lane and right rear blind spot area - so I guess you glance to screen for quick notification.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Sound cool and interesting. I know the Honda Civic has a camera on the right mirror bottom that when you activate the turn signal the camera turns on and shows on the dash screen the lane and right rear blind spot area - so I guess you glance to screen for quick notification.
SuperDutys do this now when a trailer is attached (both L and R) and it can be enabled in Forscan on a 23 F150with 360 cameras, but only works when a trailer is attached.

since canbus is more and more prevelant, not every signal has its own dedicated wire. What Kodiak is trying to accomplish might require tapping the wire inside the back of the mirror.

alishachinai27

First Name
Alisha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Skoda, Mercedes, Audi
Occupation
Marketer
Some modern vehicles, like the Honda Civic you mentioned, are equipped with advanced camera systems that provide additional visibility and safety features. The camera on the right mirror, activated by the turn signal, helps drivers monitor their blind spot and the right rear lane before making a lane change.

When the turn signal is engaged, the camera feed is displayed on the dashboard screen, allowing the driver to quickly glance at the screen for visual confirmation of the right-side surroundings. This technology aims to enhance situational awareness and reduce the risk of accidents caused by blind spots.

While this feature ensures a quick and convenient notification on the dash screen, it's important for drivers to remain focused on the road. Glancing at the screen should be done in a brief and non-distracting manner, similar to how one might glance at a coaster while taking a sip of a beverage.

It's fascinating to see how vehicle manufacturers are integrating cameras and technology to improve driver safety and convenience. If you have any more questions or if there's something specific you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know!

Sapper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 TREMOR
After months of procrastination, finally got mine in. Removing the gear shift was the biggest wildcard on the Tremors. There is a hatch when the shifter folds into that has a plate that covers the last reminding 10mm bolt. Otherwise, super easy install. Probably didn’t even need to totally slide the console back far. Can’t thank you enough!

Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light IMG_1697

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Yea, did it on 2018. Still have the lights.
Well FWIW the MME's got some LEDS that interchange with the F150. At least the 2021s are RGB, not sure if ford later gimped them. Oh, and since the MME is also on-sale in china, you can use their RGB parts once you have the proper APIM.

This kit right here rides on the RGB ambient bus changing colors as desired via APIM
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804028892629.html (there's similar kits available, not to be confused with universal RGB lighting kits)

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Well FWIW the MME's got some LEDS that interchange with the F150. At least the 2021s are RGB, not sure if ford later gimped them. Oh, and since the MME is also on-sale in china, you can use their RGB parts once you have the proper APIM.

This kit right here rides on the RGB ambient bus changing colors as desired via APIM
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804028892629.html (there's similar kits available, not to be confused with universal RGB lighting kits)
Thanks pal!

SamE0717

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 Platinum
Does anyone know off hand the part number for the upper glove box?

Finished my cupholder / media bin lights this past weekend! Another one of those as the truck should be features and ran the wire for a light in the upper glove box at the same time but curious what the cost / availability is on a replacement upper glove box before I go about cutting a light into that one incase I don't like how it turns out.

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Does anyone know off hand the part number for the upper glove box?

Finished my cupholder / media bin lights this past weekend! Another one of those as the truck should be features and ran the wire for a light in the upper glove box at the same time but curious what the cost / availability is on a replacement upper glove box before I go about cutting a light into that one incase I don't like how it turns out.
Just put the blanking plate in there you take out of media bin if you don’t like it ?
Sponsored