First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer Tech
I just had a crazy thought,
instead of putting the blue Rectangle Ambient light in the upper dash glove box (I have the light and harness)- , I could use two of the four(4) existing “unused” upper doors ambient stoplights and only drill a quarter inch(?) hole on either side of the glovebox for a more subtle lighting effect. And Since I’ve already completed the two ambient lighting assemblies in each door, I have extra small blue spotlights.
This will alleviate cutting a rectangular hole……

I’m still Thinking 🤔

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
I just had a crazy thought,
instead of putting the blue Rectangle Ambient light in the upper dash glove box (I have the light and harness)- , I could use two of the four(4) existing “unused” upper doors ambient stoplights and only drill a quarter inch(?) hole on either side of the glovebox for a more subtle lighting effect. And Since I’ve already completed the two ambient lighting assemblies in each door, I have extra small blue spotlights.
This will alleviate cutting a rectangular hole……

I’m still Thinking 🤔

the square hole will look more factory and match all the other existing cubby lights.

Sponsored

Papaw2018

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer Tech
the square hole will look more factory and match all the other existing cubby lights.
I totally agree! - and make it look factory..….but cutting in genreal😬 give me the heebie-jeebies……🫣on a New Truck$$$

I have the blue media bin light assembly and your harness(Thank you👍🏻) already have it plugged in, routed, illuminated & just laying atop the upper glove box - it’s awaiting to be pulled through a hole.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I totally agree! - and make it look factory..….but cutting in genreal😬 give me the heebie-jeebies……🫣on a New Truck$$$

I have the blue media bin light assembly and your harness(Thank you👍🏻) already have it plugged in, routed, illuminated & just laying atop the upper glove box - it’s awaiting to be pulled through a hole.
I had the same anxiety before I started cutting, but I figured if I messed it up it wouldn't be noticeable since it's hidden and out of sight. I made a template and took my time with cutting with the Dremel. It's not perfect, but it's good enough to get the job done. One piece of advice would be to use painters tape to mask off the metal trim piece that runs between the upper and lower glove box. I scratched mine a little while I was cutting the hole. To hide it, I bought a Coyote emblem and put over top of it.

Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light IMG_2863

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Thanks for the info, I will take a look! That is a great option.

It is atleast 3/4 for sure. It is the height of the lock because in that situation that is what sits against the cover. When doing that I HIGHLY recommend using a pad of some type. The textured surface of the cover will easily rub the paint off the lock.
Count me in. Media bin and cup holder lights installed. Job done. My truck feels much more Platinum now. No glovebox light yet. That part is on back order.

20221203_233316.jpg
Nice Job! Can you tell me if you did the remove the center console method? What were your thoughts about the ease to do this? Any elaboration on what you did would be a great addition to this thread. Thanks!

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Nice Job! Can you tell me if you did the remove the center console method? What were your thoughts about the ease to do this? Any elaboration on what you did would be a great addition to this thread. Thanks!
It wasn't clear to me what exactly what I had to remove when I started, but I did remove several trim pieces. I don't see how you can remove the whole cup holder surround without loosening or removing the HVAC control panel.

I first remove the upper trim around the screen. Next the trim from the push start to the passenger door. This reveals the four (4) screws securing the HVAC panel. There are six (6) screws evenly spaced horizontally. Only the center four (4) need to be removed. Now the HVAC can be pulled out. You can probably work around it just being loose, but I unplugged the wires and got it out of the way. There are several plugs, but each only goes in one spot. It was easy to plug back in. Next I pulled off the hockey stick trim pieces on each side of the console. This sounds like a lot, but it was actually quite easy. A little butt puckering, but easy.

Now you're in business. Just two more things to remove. Pop up the cup holder surround and unclip the keyless wire connection. Unbolt the shifter's four (4) bolts and just move the shifter out of the way. This made routing the wires easy. There are six (6) screws holding the cup holder in. Pop the three (3) plastic pins holding up the molded felt covering on the underside of the glove box. Attached to this, all the way to the right, you'll find the wire connection point for the cup holder.

Install the parts and put everything back together. I have left out some steps that are explained by the OP. I started this job at 9 pm and was finished at 11:30. The time is just being careful and studying what you're doing. If you were to do this again for your buddy it's probably a one hour job.

I didn't have the glove box box light as that part is back ordered.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Obligatory photo. Thanks @JHForman812 . Got it all done in 1-1.5 hours and routing was easier than expected thanks to the guides here. My process was very similar to @oneinch except i left my HVAC panel attached because some plugs were pissing me off.

20221204_223748.jpg

glad I could help!

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
Finally had time to install my goodies including the 2021 HVAC controls. Thanks everyone for the guides here. Once I re-read the first post I knew which harness was which. LOL Thanks @JHForman812

I posted on the f150gen14 FB page and people have a million questions. I pointed them all here. Seems a lot of people are on FB and not on the forums.

Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light 9E700646-8128-43FC-AE0C-D6947D6AB468

Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light BDA9336F-375B-432F-A062-7C46E9B734B5

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Finally had time to install my goodies including the 2021 HVAC controls. Thanks everyone for the guides here. Once I re-read the first post I knew which harness was which. LOL Thanks @JHForman812

I posted on the f150gen14 FB page and people have a million questions. I pointed them all here. Seems a lot of people are on FB and not on the forums.

9E700646-8128-43FC-AE0C-D6947D6AB468.jpeg

BDA9336F-375B-432F-A062-7C46E9B734B5.jpeg
I left Facebook many moons ago! Feel free to distribute my email if you’d like JHForman@ Gmail. Com take the spaces out

Papaw2018

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer Tech
Thanks again @JHForman812 for the harnesses(extra lead to the upper glove box)
Upper is 👍🏻 completed.
Tools of trade and meticulously and slowly clean cut / installation.
A small glimmer of blue light comes out from the bottom of the door when closed, However once I put some items in there, (basically napkins, extra thick blue paper towels).-that light doesn’t shine through.
Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light 042D9566-B3DE-4B39-86A0-755F2A839D6B
Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light 36991EE2-EAAF-43DF-8A40-245BA5E5D505
Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light F8487C86-45F6-410C-B157-A51DDE9F6CE1
Ford F-150 Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light 29D74583-5518-473B-8454-8CBEE0A9DFF5
Sponsored