OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
I assumed they had found a broken band when I suggested finding one out of a wrecked truck. It's a shame their immediate response is to just replace parts instead of taking the time to figure out what's going on with it
Definitely a shame!
Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I intended on doing something to secure it better but I was in a hurry so just put it back on for now. If/when it fails again I’ll figure out a solution to hold it better.

Congratulations on finding the eBay part. $100 we’ll spent!
What are the steps to remove the rear cupholder assembly? If you tell me where to start I can most likely figure out the rest.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
What are the steps to remove the rear cupholder assembly? If you tell me where to start I can most likely figure out the rest.
Open up the center console and there’s a rectangular trim piece that has to be removed just under the lid hinge. Pull 3 screws behind that trim piece. That allows you to pull the top trim piece off of the rear cupholder. There are several screws to be removed from that. I think it’s 7 total, 4 surrounding the cup holders and 3 under the rubber piece in the cup holders. It’s been a month or so since I’ve removed them, so I’m recalling them all from memory

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Open up the center console and there’s a rectangular trim piece that has to be removed just under the lid hinge. Pull 3 screws behind that trim piece. That allows you to pull the top trim piece off of the rear cupholder. There are several screws to be removed from that. I think it’s 7 total, 4 surrounding the cup holders and 3 under the rubber piece in the cup holders. It’s been a month or so since I’ve removed them, so I’m recalling them all from memory
Thanks @dolsen. On a side note, were you able to verify that your projector headlights are auto-leveling and bending? Your 501A to 502A conversion has been fun to follow along with and impressive.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Thanks @dolsen. On a side note, were you able to verify that your projector headlights are auto-leveling and bending? Your 501A to 502A conversion has been fun to follow along with and impressive.
No, but thanks for reminding me, I need to take it for a ride

Sponsored

tremorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Tremor
We 2022 and 2023 guys never had the finger cupholers at the back of the center armrest to begin with. I'm guessing you have adjustable headrests that we also never had (not on Lariat and below, anyway).

Best to keep the semi-broken one and maybe try your own fix, I agree!
If anyone is still looking at this issue years later, I made a video showing the very easy fix!

tremorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Tremor
The tension spring busted in one of the cup holders that sit at the back of the center console arm rest. The little “fingers” that apply pressure to hold the cup in place no longer apply pressure so the cup is able to flop around. I had the dealer look at it under warranty while in for something else and they said Ford discontinued that style cup holder because they keep breaking. They’re now supplying just a wide open cup holder with no tension spring to hold the cup steady. I told them not to put the new one in as I figured I’d rather have one with tension spring than two that don’t have the springs. The part comes as one complete unit for both cup holders. Not a big deal but you’d think after 30 years of providing cup holders they’d know by now which style works and what doesn’t.
Easy fix

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Thanks for all the help guys. I pulled it apart today and found that the band had just slipped off.
DCF0DC67-4096-4233-9526-ECE331525ED9.jpeg

058FB078-D978-4473-8575-484B4CC5F997.jpeg

Pretty lame design really. Would have been fine if they’d just used something on the end of that tab to keep the band from sliding off.
D77BDE05-1C2C-4605-AF6D-C3D4EEE036D5.jpeg

The mounting of the cup holder itself however, seems way over-engineered. That cup holder isn’t going anywhere with the 11 screws that secure it. Overall way easy fix and now my water bottles won’t fall over.
1933C5EF-E7AF-4E46-AA9D-A8BD504850ED.jpeg

I’m stoked I told the dealer not to replace it with the new fingerless model. Good as new!
Despite my low expectations of dealer service, this still depresses me that they couldn't provide you with the correct answer for fixing this issue.
Sponsored