First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Not true I have a 22 Lariat with B&O Unleased and my headrests are not adjustable. The 21 lariats had them. I have been on the look out for some 21's with the speakers for a while.
Can confirm. My ‘21 lariat with b&o has adjustable headrests.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
Yeah I have also been scouring Ebay for a 21 model rear cupholder since I would prefer to have the "finger" style instead of nothing, but it's been a daunting task. I am guessing the rubber band inside of the cupholder that wraps around the fingers either broke or slipped off. If I were you I would take it apart and see what the problem is since it's probably an easy fix. I have my front cupholder assembly from when I replaced it with the lighted ones so it's possible that the rubber band for that would also work for the rear. Not 100% sure since I know they are slightly different size but if the band broke you might just be able to order the front cupholder assembly and swap out the band. For less than $30 it might be a quick fix.
Excellent idea. I didn’t realize it was just a band around the cup holder. Will probably dig into it one of these days. Thanks!

Qutaiba

First Name
Qutaiba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021 lariat 5.0
The tension spring busted in one of the cup holders that sit at the back of the center console arm rest. The little “fingers” that apply pressure to hold the cup in place no longer apply pressure so the cup is able to flop around. I had the dealer look at it under warranty while in for something else and they said Ford discontinued that style cup holder because they keep breaking. They’re now supplying just a wide open cup holder with no tension spring to hold the cup steady. I told them not to put the new one in as I figured I’d rather have one with tension spring than two that don’t have the springs. The part comes as one complete unit for both cup holders. Not a big deal but you’d think after 30 years of providing cup holders they’d know by now which style works and what doesn’t.
hi.. its not broke i just fix mine you just need to take off the mats then you will find bolts under. take them off, open center console theirs another bolt in the rear take it off as well then pop top cover off no need to pry. now you can get the center piece holding the tensioners. you will find that thers a piece of rubber band rapped around the plastic tentioners that slipped from its place. put it back on the groves making sure it wont slip back of. i used a dab of glue gun. put every thing back in, good as new never slips of again

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Not true I have a 22 Lariat with B&O Unleased and my headrests are not adjustable. The 21 lariats had them. I have been on the look out for some 21's with the speakers for a while.
My 2022 Lariat with Unleashed does have adjustable headrests. Built early Feb. 2022.​

Sponsored

Random155

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
The tension spring busted in one of the cup holders that sit at the back of the center console arm rest. The little “fingers” that apply pressure to hold the cup in place no longer apply pressure so the cup is able to flop around. I had the dealer look at it under warranty while in for something else and they said Ford discontinued that style cup holder because they keep breaking. They’re now supplying just a wide open cup holder with no tension spring to hold the cup steady. I told them not to put the new one in as I figured I’d rather have one with tension spring than two that don’t have the springs. The part comes as one complete unit for both cup holders. Not a big deal but you’d think after 30 years of providing cup holders they’d know by now which style works and what doesn’t.
The tension on the "fingers" come from an elastic rubber band thing that loops around the underside of the cup holder. Take it apart, and put a rubber band around it and you should be good. At least thats how the front cupholders are constructed. On my wife's explorer the rubber band thing came off and I just had to put it back on there.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The tension on the "fingers" come from an elastic rubber band thing that loops around the underside of the cup holder. Take it apart, and put a rubber band around it and you should be good. At least thats how the front cupholders are constructed. On my wife's explorer the rubber band thing came off and I just had to put it back on there.
Yes, the rears are the same as far as the band goes

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hi.. its not broke i just fix mine you just need to take off the mats then you will find bolts under. take them off, open center console theirs another bolt in the rear take it off as well then pop top cover off no need to pry. now you can get the center piece holding the tensioners. you will find that thers a piece of rubber band rapped around the plastic tentioners that slipped from its place. put it back on the groves making sure it wont slip back of. i used a dab of glue gun. put every thing back in, good as new never slips of again
Great information, thanks! I just may head out into the garage today and make this fix.

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the info. It’s unfortunate that all trucks are now getting “fingerless” cup holders because the engineers haven’t designed them in a way that would secure the band better, and prevent it from slipping off the assembly. For the time being rather than reengineering the cup holders, they have decided to supplement with a plain ghetto “fingerless palm” that has no ability to grasp the beverage when it’s placed inside. I’m sure they’ll take another crack at it in the future. There’s bigger fish to fry currently with supply chain shortages that have caused much more essential necessities to be deleted.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
A couple weeks ago I ordered the lighted front one from Tasca for $20.87. If the band is broken this would get you a new one. I kept my old cup holder for just this reason.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for all the help guys. I pulled it apart today and found that the band had just slipped off.
Ford F-150 Cup Holder Fail and Ford has Stopped Supplying DCF0DC67-4096-4233-9526-ECE331525ED9

Ford F-150 Cup Holder Fail and Ford has Stopped Supplying 058FB078-D978-4473-8575-484B4CC5F997

Pretty lame design really. Would have been fine if they’d just used something on the end of that tab to keep the band from sliding off.
Ford F-150 Cup Holder Fail and Ford has Stopped Supplying D77BDE05-1C2C-4605-AF6D-C3D4EEE036D5

The mounting of the cup holder itself however, seems way over-engineered. That cup holder isn’t going anywhere with the 11 screws that secure it. Overall way easy fix and now my water bottles won’t fall over.
Ford F-150 Cup Holder Fail and Ford has Stopped Supplying 1933C5EF-E7AF-4E46-AA9D-A8BD504850ED

I’m stoked I told the dealer not to replace it with the new fingerless model. Good as new!

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I’m stoked I told the dealer not to replace it with the new fingerless model. Good as new!
I assumed they had found a broken band when I suggested finding one out of a wrecked truck. It's a shame their immediate response is to just replace parts instead of taking the time to figure out what's going on with it

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402A Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
We 2022 and 2023 guys never had the finger cupholers at the back of the center armrest to begin with. I'm guessing you have adjustable headrests that we also never had (not on Lariat and below, anyway).

Best to keep the semi-broken one and maybe try your own fix, I agree!
re: adjustable headrests: I saw that on a YouTube video, that stated the 2022s have them deleted, yet my 2022 Tremor 402A has them. Does B&O Unleashed upgrade, make a difference perhaps?

Edit: I see that DBL R made the same suggestion.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
As I said earlier in this post, I have been looking for rear cup holders out of a '21 on Ebay for awhile now but kind of forgot to check as often as I had been. Anyway, this thread got me interested again and I checked on Ebay this morning and found just what I was looking for. It comes with the entire cup holder trim piece and I probably paid more than I wanted, but for $100 I now have piece of mind when my kids put there loose fitting drinks in there.

Good job @Waveslider for taking the time to fix it instead off settling on the dealer replacement. Did you do anything to the band to prevent it from slipping again?

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As I said earlier in this post, I have been looking for rear cup holders out of a '21 on Ebay for awhile now but kind of forgot to check as often as I had been. Anyway, this thread got me interested again and I checked on Ebay this morning and found just what I was looking for. It comes with the entire cup holder trim piece and I probably paid more than I wanted, but for $100 I now have piece of mind when my kids put there loose fitting drinks in there.

Good job @Waveslider for taking the time to fix it instead off settling on the dealer replacement. Did you do anything to the band to prevent it from slipping again?
I intended on doing something to secure it better but I was in a hurry so just put it back on for now. If/when it fails again I’ll figure out a solution to hold it better.

Congratulations on finding the eBay part. $100 we’ll spent!
Sponsored