Sponsored

Crew Cab - 5.5 vs 6.5 box resale value

upslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Honda Civic 290k miles
I'm building a 2022 F150, and trying to decide between the short bed and long bed on a crew cab. I'm wondering if the long bed (6.5 box) could negatively impact resale value on the crew cab, given they are not the "popular choice" on the road these days. What are your thoughts and reasoning? Thanks.
Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I'm building a 2022 F150, and trying to decide between the short bed and long bed on a crew cab. I'm wondering if the long bed (6.5 box) could negatively impact resale value on the crew cab, given they are not the "popular choice" on the road these days. What are your thoughts and reasoning? Thanks.
Just get what YOU want. Why buy something that you really didn't want? You have to live with it for how many years because you might make a few bucks, maybe, down the road.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Just get what YOU want. Why buy something that you really didn't want? You have to live with it for how many years because you might make a few bucks, maybe, down the road.
First, I agree with diesel97. But what you want - especially since these trucks are so expensive!

The longer bed is more versatile, no question, but it won’t fit into many garages. It’s a toss-up.

OP
OP

upslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Honda Civic 290k miles
I have some needs for a 6.5 box, but also see the value in a 5.5 box for slightly better maneuverability. So because I'm at the point where either will work for me, I'm interested in the next level of my decision making: resale value.

Personal needs and preferences aside, what has better resale?

Last edited:

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
I'm no industry expert.. but it seems there are more short beds on lots for sale, as in they are more in demand (maybe), and likely have a greater resale value.

Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I have some needs for a 6.5 box, but also see the value in a 5.5 box for slightly better maneuverability. So because I'm at the point where either will work for me, I'm interested in the next level of my decision making: resale value.

Personal needs and preferences aside, what has better resale?
I don't think anybody can predict the future market and either way your not talking a big difference IMO

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
I agree with the fitting in garage comment above. Having said that I would never by something based on what it may be worth or worse, IMO, what someone else may prefer / wants. What I would do is get a good deal by ordering one under invoice, if you do that I can almost assure you resale will not be an issue and you will have gotten exactly what you want.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My extended cab ‘21 Lariat isn’t a “popular“ choice. I wanted a 6.5 ft bed but didn’t have a garage that could support a crew cab with a 6.5 ft. bed. I ordered based on personal wants and needs and didn’t consider resale value.

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
The short box will be easier to sell and as a result, likely easier to get more $ for. That’s not to say the long box won’t be worth as much, but you may have to wait a little for the right buyer to pay up.

If you plan on keeping it for a long time, get what you prefer as the potential higher resale diminishes as the truck depreciates

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I had a 2016 5.5’ bed and one of the main reasons I bought a 2021 was to get a 6.5’ bed. It does take a bit more swing to get in some parking spaces but with 360 cameras it’s not that difficult and after a few weeks I didn’t really think about it most of the time. Parking garages are a challenge but again, 360 cameras help. Also, backing in is the ticket for tight spots.

6.5’ bed accommodates an 8’ long 2x4 angled with the tailgate closed. I’m not a contractor but I haul enough stuff it is worth it to me.

I’ll never go back to the shorter bed. When I was looking used back in 2018 I couldn’t find a longer bed with what I wanted. If I could have I would have gladly paid more for one. plus, had I found one I wouldn’t have had much choice on an alternative.

Get what you want and what is most useful to you.

Sponsored

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
I have the 6.5 bed with crewcab and it seems long, but is actually shorter then a Super Duty short bed crewcab setup. I got the longer bed to be able to haul stuff in it, because I felt the 5.5 was way to short for me. It was a big change coming from a 8 ft bed on a Super Duty F450!
However all is good. Get the 6.5 bed, because it's a truck!

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I bought a 5.5 foot bed so I could park in my garage, but if I didn't have a garage I would of gotten a 6.5 foot bed as it's more versatile. Keeping the truck out of the rain, away from bird poop, no clearing snow off, etc is all worth more to me than an extra foot of bed. It's all personal preference.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Assuming the CCP doesn’t invade Taiwan, circuit card manufacturers should be able to catch up in the coming year or so. At that point these trucks will depreciate like they used to, so resale doesn’t really matter, imo.

these will be worth half of their msrp in 3-5 years once the market returns to normal. And a 6.5 vs 5.5 bed is going to be a negligible difference in resale price.

Chease44

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat - Star White 3.5 Eco 157” WB
I had a 2016 5.5’ bed and one of the main reasons I bought a 2021 was to get a 6.5’ bed. It does take a bit more swing to get in some parking spaces but with 360 cameras it’s not that difficult and after a few weeks I didn’t really think about it most of the time. Parking garages are a challenge but again, 360 cameras help. Also, backing in is the ticket for tight spots.

6.5’ bed accommodates an 8’ long 2x4 angled with the tailgate closed. I’m not a contractor but I haul enough stuff it is worth it to me.

I’ll never go back to the shorter bed. When I was looking used back in 2018 I couldn’t find a longer bed with what I wanted. If I could have I would have gladly paid more for one. plus, had I found one I wouldn’t have had much choice on an alternative.

Get what you want and what is most useful to you.
This almost exactly how I feel, I am very happy to be back in a truck in the 6.5 bed after going down to a 5.5 with my 2020.

I think one thing people are overlooking is regional bias. I live in a rural area and you see all kinds of supercrew 6.5 bed trucks around, maybe not quite 50/50 but it would be close. I’m sure in more urban areas you would hardly see any of them. At the end of the day I don’t think it’s going to help or hurt resale value depending on bed size, there is enough buyers looking for both.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My previous truck was a Crew with 6.5 and I ordered a Crew with 6.5. When I was in the market for my first truck and I was looking to buy a truck with a 6.5' bed, it was very difficult to find, because they are not the 'norm' anymore. For resale you'll have less competition with the 6.5' bed, but you're also going to need to find a buyer that either wants it, or doesn't mind it.

Up in Minnesota here, it seems the 6.5' beds are more popular in rural areas where the 5.5' bed is the inner city trucks. Either way if you keep the clean and in good running order, you'll find a buyer.
Sponsored