Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Welder/fitter
Well it only lasted a month… my new differential gave out this morning
Just had this happen to my 2021 f150 xlt sport. Was spinning in snow and bang lost 4 wheel drive. Dealer says they don’t know if this will be covered under warranty as they have never seen this before. So currently waiting to see if Ford Canada will honour it. Also a new one is 3 weeks away.
Is your truck a regular cab 8ft box?
my replacement only lasted a month….(you can see pictures above of my first) After that snowfall southern Ontario got on the weekend I moved my truck in my driveway and got a check 4wheel drive warning that cleared itself. on my way to work this morning I heard a clicking then the same pop followed by intense grinding……

dropped it off at the same dealer and walked to work.
Sponsored

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

my replacement only lasted a month….(you can see pictures above of my first) After that snowfall southern Ontario got on the weekend I moved my truck in my driveway and got a check 4wheel drive warning that cleared itself. on my way to work this morning I heard a clicking then the same pop followed by intense grinding……

I left my truck at the dealership two weeks ago to have differential housing #3 installed as well as fix 3 open recalls. I figured I would save myself numerous trips to the dealership while I was away on vacation. When I picked it up at the Ford dealer yesterday they said it was fixed, but when I started to drive across the parking lot I noticed a fairly loud grinding sound coming from the front end. It would be nice to have a dependable 4WD this week because MN forecast is more snow, but my truck remains in the shop.

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The nightmare never ends. Now they are going to replace some carrier bearings that were growling. Another three days after having the truck for two weeks. I'm starting to get sores from being on the bench at the Ford dealership.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What's so irritating is that mechanically this truck can be fixed.
But it appears that what's missing is a true professional who believes that it's his job to make sure it's fixed. Completely. Like new.

That's more than just ordering parts and installing them.

Sponsored

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
What's so irritating is that mechanically this truck can be fixed.
But it appears that what's missing is a true professional who believes that it's his job to make sure it's fixed. Completely. Like new.

That's more than just ordering parts and installing them.

I checked out the mileage in/mileage out on the service order, they put 35 miles on my truck. I guess they must have had the radio too loud when they were running errands. I heard the grinding after driving across the parking lot.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Has anyone heard anything from Ford? Seems like a design flaw rather than just a QC issue to me, which is much more likely to need a recall. I've never had my new truck in 4wd, but also threw fluid film on which makes finding leaks and other issues that much harder. Kinda nervous tbh.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
I left my truck at the dealership two weeks ago to have differential housing #3 installed as well as fix 3 open recalls. I figured I would save myself numerous trips to the dealership while I was away on vacation. When I picked it up at the Ford dealer yesterday they said it was fixed, but when I started to drive across the parking lot I noticed a fairly loud grinding sound coming from the front end. It would be nice to have a dependable 4WD this week because MN forecast is more snow, but my truck remains in the shop.
I would just drive it across the parking lot at WOT until the differential explodes. Then Lemon Law that thing.

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Well this was week number three that the Ford dealer has had my F150. They put 35 miles on it and I have put 100 yards on it to tell them it was still making front differential noise. Big storm in northern MN coming tomorrow and no 4WD F150 in my garage. Maybe a Ford guy out there can help me out. Being an old parts man at heart, I decided to look into what's been going on the with the replacement of the two cracked differential housings by my Ford dealership. I didn't get any paperwork on the first replacement so I can only reference the SO on the failed second replacement. It shows they replaced the B7A 4621 A outer pinion bearing, D0AZ 4630 AA inner pinion bearing and (2) F65Z 4B413 axle bearings. They did not replace the (2) NL3Z 4220 A side bearings. The bearings they replaced are about twenty dollars each. The side bearings are about $120 each. Am I still waiting for my truck because Ford wouldn't pony up $240 after running these bearings in the previous two housings with bad leaks?

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
An aluminum case taking the brunt of 300 hp.. really is going to give. It might be that the lariat and up transfer case limits the torque due to clutch in the case slipping.. in theory probably keeps the torque down in low range.. but a high speed bind.. don’t know. 300 hp is a lot for an aluminum case.
If you do the math, the numbers are significantly higher. Engine power x trans gear ratio x transfer case ratio (if in-play) x final drive ratio.

It's not hard to have 300ftlb of torque in such a situation...
300 x 1st gear (4.69) x xfer case (2.64) x pinion (3.73) = 13,855ftlbs of force just in static pull. If it's spinning and catches, that's a whole stupidly large number depending on variables.

It's also magnesium, not that it makes any difference.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
If you do the math, the numbers are significantly higher. Engine power x trans gear ratio x transfer case ratio (if in-play) x final drive ratio.

It's not hard to have 300ftlb of torque in such a situation...
300 x 1st gear (4.69) x xfer case (2.64) x pinion (3.73) = 13,855ftlbs of force just in static pull. If it's spinning and catches, that's a whole stupidly large number depending on variables.

It's also magnesium, not that it makes any difference.
That's the 4 low ratio right? I mean I can't see using 4 low for snow or anything but ridiculous mud, but even if it was used like that, it shouldn't fail. Plenty of trucks on stock transfer cases running mud bogs and pulls, but I guess you could also make the argument those silly sumbitchz blow up all the time too. Just another case for the low and slow 4.6 right? Can't break anything if you only have just enough power.

I'm wondering if Ford is looking at recalling these given how they have failed in seemingly tame conditions if the posters are to be believed.

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It’s not stress. Both of mine just cracked from normal driving occasional 4WD. Bad metal.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm convinced there's something seriously inferior about these batch/batches.

This is very old and well proven tech that is failing in circumstances that shouldn't break them.

Mazda released the Miata ND model in 2016. They made a very serious effort to get the weight back out of it and return it to it's original Miata NA weight. And they succeeded using what they called gram strategy. Removing every gram.

They lightened the transmission case and even removed much of its casting ribs. Afterall, how can it be a problem on a low horsepower normally Aspirated 2 liter standard transmission?

Turns out that some percentage of them started blowing up 1st and 2nd gear. Eventually discovered that in high lateral G-force, the case would twist under the chassis flex, and the gears would lose their alignment enough to eventually break the teeth.

Perhaps there's some non-obvious cost or weight savings, or perhaps a mounting alignment issue that can stress the case and....... Well, you know?

Just spitballing, but I imagine similar to the sudden and unexpected leaking exhaust heat exchangers, AND the Max Tow axle bolt shearing, I bet Ford is very aware of the warranty claims and are, or have already, gotten some kind of idea of what is going on.

We just don't know how far along they are.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'm convinced there's something seriously inferior about these batch/batches.

Perhaps there's some non-obvious cost or weight savings, or perhaps a mounting alignment issue that can stress the case and....... Well, you know?
When I first saw this being mentioned, I wasn't expecting the case to have catastrophically fallen apart. I thought, hrm, a little crack. Not cracked into two separate pieces.
Sponsored