Sponsored

Cracked Front Diff Housing

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I've thought about this one... Unless you somehow whacked the case on a rock (pretty difficult I think!), or pounded it yourself with a big hammer (really?), there is just no way it can be anything other than a casting flaw... Nothing elase adds up. Ford needs to stand up on this one and just give you a new differential.
That would be (2) casting flaws, as they have replaced the differential housing and the new one is leaking badly. Maybe three is the charm?
Sponsored

Grottos

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Welder/fitter
I made a account just to throw my hat In the ring! Went to pull out of my snow covered driveway today and as I pressed the 4h button a loud bang followed closely by gear grinding. Crawled under to see my housing wide open with large chunks of it in the snow. Hopefully ford will have a look tomorrow.
This is a work truck, completely stock with 40,000 km on it. The puddle of fluid was grey not clear, so I assume it’s been grinding something before the failure.

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 655309BD-FD44-45F7-892E-F8F468D333D6

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 1010D86C-8CF8-4484-AF71-D488C679D613

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing CCF3CE48-27A8-44B9-9261-38D0B09F34FC

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 8BF92C6F-E2AF-41A6-A8FC-B0F1A4BC501C

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I changed out my differential fluid shortly after taking my truck home. Took a bit as I had to get my hands on a vacuum extractor given the very tight location. The drained fluid was an opaque gray, no chunks or such but I really didn't like its color. Been runnning fine since and I use it frequently out my way (western Wyoming). Note: this opaque gray color was in contrast to the rear adifferential. That gear lube was of a normal brown/tan translucent coloration.

Last edited:

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I changed out my differential fluid shortly after taking my truck home. Took a bit as I had to get my hands on a vacuum extractor given the very tight location. The drained fluid was an opaque gray, no chunks or such but I really didn't like its color. Been runnning fine since and I use it frequently out my way (western Wyoming). Note: this opaque gray color was in contrast to the rear adifferential. That gear lube was of a normal brown/tan translucent coloration.
Could water be intruding into the case? Opaque usually means contaminated.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Went to pull out of my snow covered driveway today and as I pressed the 4h button a loud bang followed closely by gear grinding
Had you even started moving? Or where you engaging while moving?

This failure is in a different spot than has been seen.

Grottos

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Welder/fitter
Had you even started moving? Or where you engaging while moving?

This failure is in a different spot than has been seen.
I wasn’t moving but the rears were slipping. I remember being confused for a second that I was spinning in 4h just before it popped. So I must of pressed 4h then applied throttle just long enough to confuse myself. And when I say applied throttle I wasn’t gunning it. Just like a normal pulling out of driveway acceleration. It’s a 8ft box regular cab so it’s very common the rears don’t get any traction in snow. I’ve done that same thing in that spot whenever there’s snow and here that’s about 5 months a year.

and Il add there was no signs of a leak like others with a crack have said.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE

Grottos

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Welder/fitter
Quick update, the ford dealer said the axels were the only thing holding the front differential on, it had ripped off the frame. They think the housing had cracked near the mount and it finally let go causing the driveshaft to bind and tear off the housing. Fixed everything under warranty but it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth…

here’s a picture the dealer sent me once they got the diff out.

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing D784336A-3344-44AD-888D-1BDF774C340B

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Quick update, the ford dealer said the axels were the only thing holding the front differential on, it had ripped off the frame. They think the housing had cracked near the mount and it finally let go causing the driveshaft to bind and tear off the housing. Fixed everything under warranty but it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth…

here’s a picture the dealer sent me once they got the diff out.

D784336A-3344-44AD-888D-1BDF774C340B.jpeg

I dropped mine off at the dealership for front differential number 3 today. Hope they grab one from a different bin this time. Been a real pain!

Sponsored

Clayton Gehring

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt sport
Occupation
Hvac
Just had this happen to my 2021 f150 xlt sport. Was spinning in snow and bang lost 4 wheel drive. Dealer says they don’t know if this will be covered under warranty as they have never seen this before. So currently waiting to see if Ford Canada will honour it. Also a new one is 3 weeks away.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The VAS part looks awesome, but there is no way to run it with a Talons skid plate package (I confirmed this with VAS). Both companies are in Houston, so I've asked both to see if they can make any changes that would allow both to work together. I'll keep everyone posted if I learn something.

Rippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
If the original differential housings are made of peanut brittle and the replacement housings are made of peanut brittle, what are you supposed to do?
Sponsored