First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Have you had the white spots again after using the ceramic coating?
@Indiana2021F150 -

No, I have not had the white spot problem return. ?

I am no salesperson or spokesperson but I have found CarPro DLUX to be fantastic. I used it to coat all exterior plastic surfaces. In my 15th week since applying it and it looks as good as day 1. The manufacturer claims it should last 2 years.

Took a photo just now. No white marks.

Ford F-150 Cowl Discoloration BCFFFCAE-2D61-4E3C-93CF-3EFE721384AA
Sponsored

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Iconic Silver Limited PowerBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
If anyone continues to have the UV damage come back, I have a potential extreme-but-more-permanent fix you are welcome to try...

Use a heat gun set on high heat (~ 1000 degrees F), make a relatively quick pass about an inch from the affected part. Then make a second pass, going slower with small circles "painting in" the UV protection back to full color.

Source: My current and last vehicle are/were both Chevy Avalanches so I have dealt with more UV fading trim than is healthy for a single human. Hoping I don't see this issue on my upcoming truck!

Oh, one note: after I did this I would still use one of the black UV restorers for protection and evening out any color (in case there is minor damage on other parts). Neither Armor All's nor Back to Black lasted more than a couple of months for me, so I would personally avoid those; they worked, just didn't last. I do live in Louisiana, though, and it is exposed to a LOT of rain which may have aided in the shorter lifespan of the product.

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
Subscribing as I also have this issue. Will try the ceramic UV protectant as well.

Edit: Just looked and the same thing is happening on the wifes 21' Explorer cowl.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I just use 303 every so often. Yeah, I comes back. Do I worry, fuss or lose sleep because of it? Nope!

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
If anyone continues to have the UV damage come back, I have a potential extreme-but-more-permanent fix you are welcome to try...

Use a heat gun set on high heat (~ 1000 degrees F), make a relatively quick pass about an inch from the affected part. Then make a second pass, going slower with small circles "painting in" the UV protection back to full color.

Source: My current and last vehicle are/were both Chevy Avalanches so I have dealt with more UV fading trim than is healthy for a single human. Hoping I don't see this issue on my upcoming truck!

Oh, one note: after I did this I would still use one of the black UV restorers for protection and evening out any color (in case there is minor damage on other parts). Neither Armor All's nor Back to Black lasted more than a couple of months for me, so I would personally avoid those; they worked, just didn't last. I do live in Louisiana, though, and it is exposed to a LOT of rain which may have aided in the shorter lifespan of the product.
@ RogueProeliator -

This sounds like an interesting solution to faded black plastic. That you’ve personally done so, says a lot. I’ll take note and file it away for future reference. Intrigued!

In this situation, we’re not trying to address UV fading. Many of us found white marks on the coweling on brand new trucks from the factory. (To my untrained eyes, this seemed to be a result of the molding process, perhaps residual mold release). It’s purely cosmetic.

Several products exist for dressing black plastic, including those from Magwires, Armoral, TurtleWax, & Carpro. While the product is more expensive, I am recommending the CarPro product, as it is good for 2 years. Just my opinion.

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Iconic Silver Limited PowerBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
@ RogueProeliator -
Several products exist for dressing black plastic, including those from Magwires, Armoral, TurtleWax, & Carpro. While the product is more expensive, I am recommending the CarPro product, as it is good for 2 years. Just my opinion.
I just saw mention of someone in the thread saying it could be a reaction with UV is all, it definitely had some distinct lines like a mold issue, though I suppose it could have been an issue with the mix in particular molds (lacking UV protectant) if it were trucks that sat out for a while prior to shipment.

I saw you (I think it was) mention the CarPro product; my mention of the others was simply that I have had experience that those DON'T hold up to the "Lasts for 1 Year" or whatever that they advertise... basically, a confirmation to try what others suggest. I may actually try your suggestion on my old Av which my aunt still has. I have completed 1/2 of her heat gun treatment but want some protection on it afterwards.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Ford approved replacement for me and the dealer is waiting for the part.
Is your dealer replacing bolt right and left sides, it's a to piece panel? What did you say to get them to warranty the part?

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Is your dealer replacing bolt right and left sides, it's a to piece panel? What did you say to get them to warranty the part?
Both sides. I told them it is discolored abnormally and I tried to use conditioner to fix it but the white marks keep coming back. It’s a manufacturing defect.

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Ford approved replacement for me and the dealer is waiting for the part.
Did you ever get the replacement?

Has anyone else gotten their dealer to agree to replacing the pieces that are discoloring? It's happening to the cowling around my windshield wipers and the plastic at the bottom of all my windows. My truck has less than 3,200 miles and spends 95% of the time in the garage... in California. So... it's definitely NOT a weather related issue.

OP
OP

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Did you ever get the replacement?

Has anyone else gotten their dealer to agree to replacing the pieces that are discoloring? It's happening to the cowling around my windshield wipers and the plastic at the bottom of all my windows. My truck has less than 3,200 miles and spends 95% of the time in the garage... in California. So... it's definitely NOT a weather related issue.
Oddly enough, mine eventually just went away. Leads me to believe that it may in fact be residual glue?
Sponsored