Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 SCREW Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Ya the console lids fall back closed.
I used one of the other members tricks that cost 20 cents. 4 nickles under each tab of the springs and now it will stay open as long as the truck is not moving and somewhat level.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I used two nickels on each spring on the front and one on each in the back. Mine will pop up about 4 inches and stay there. Open all the way and it stays open. I think it was a Ford safety feature so you would not be looking in there and fiddling around when you should look at the road.

ghanvass

First Name
Shai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
I used two nickels on each spring on the front and one on each in the back. Mine will pop up about 4 inches and stay there. Open all the way and it stays open. I think it was a Ford safety feature so you would not be looking in there and fiddling around when you should look at the road.
So if the "weak spring" was by design I probably shouldn't have the dealer replace it. The less they mess around with my truck the better. Now I'm wondering if all the work surface consoles are the same but no dealers around me have inventory to compare mine with!

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
So if the "weak spring" was by design I probably shouldn't have the dealer replace it. The less they mess around with my truck the better. Now I'm wondering if all the work surface consoles are the same but no dealers around me have inventory to compare mine with!
They are the same, and my last 3 Fords have done it. (obviously two w/o work surface) Personally, I wouldn't have them touch it.

Sponsored

vtron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Same as the others on the center console. I put a nickel on the top and bottom of each spring (total of 4) and it works exactly the way I want it.

I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer. They probably won't be able to fix it and it will take a lot more time and effort than just fixing it yourself. All you need is a pair of vice grips to pull the spring back and the aforementioned nickels.

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
Ya the console lids fall back closed.
Someone on this site provided info of putting a nickle between the springs so it stays open. Seems like a great fix

ghanvass

First Name
Shai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
Same as the others on the center console. I put a nickel on the top and bottom of each spring (total of 4) and it works exactly the way I want it.

I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer. They probably won't be able to fix it and it will take a lot more time and effort than just fixing it yourself. All you need is a pair of vice grips to pull the spring back and the aforementioned nickels.
Anyone have pics of this mod? I have the work surface lid... hopefully this fix is still applicable?

Photonicc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Howdy! I've had my truck now just over a month and noticed a few things. I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed as well:

1. Center Console - when i open up the console i used to the lids staying up once opened. My console lid tends to fall back down unless i hold it up with my elbow. Is this just the design or should it not be falling down?

2. Auto Stop - I've noticed sometimes if I'm waiting in line to drop my kids off at school and stop, the auto stop comes on and the truck shuts off, but if i sit there for say 3-4 minutes the truck will start back up. Why does it come back on?

3. Lifts - Every place I've been to so far has told me for the 21's there's really only a leveling kit out right now. Everything else is either backordered or hasn't come to market yet. Yesterday I reached out to an auto shop in Dripping Springs and the guy told me he could get me a 3" RC lift. Anyone with experience on this lift? Looking for recommendations.

Thanks! I'll shut up now and listen.

For ride comfort, good quality, and an amazing warranty. BDS has a good lift but costly for the new f150.

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
FYI Regarding availability of 2021+ specific height adjustable front shocks and full coil overs straight from Stage 3 motorsports...

The [Bilstein] 5100 fronts are expected late next month or early march, the [Bilstein] 6112 they have not even realeased part #s yet so im thinking late spring early summer. Fox [2.0s] was supposed to be out end of the year but still no info on those im going to guess around march april time frame on those.

Then I confirmed with Fox: 2.0s due April or May

Hope this helps

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order
FYI Regarding availability of 2021+ specific height adjustable front shocks and full coil overs straight from Stage 3 motorsports...

The [Bilstein] 5100 fronts are expected late next month or early march, the [Bilstein] 6112 they have not even realeased part #s yet so im thinking late spring early summer. Fox [2.0s] was supposed to be out end of the year but still no info on those im going to guess around march april time frame on those.

Then I confirmed with Fox: 2.0s due April or May

Hope this helps
How is the fox kit different from the current one?

https://www.roushperformance.com/2015-2016-f150-fox-suspension.html

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
That's an ongoing question. From what I've read, the front strut mounting points are slightly narrower on our trucks than the Gen13 trucks, which affects the shock stroke and suspension geometry enough that Fox and Bilstein opted to develop a 21+ version.

At the bottom of that webpage you'll see the note below, which is apparently an adjustment to make the last gen stuff work for our trucks, but apparently not a perfect fix otherwise Fox and Bilstein wouldn't invest in the R&D and retooling to make 21+ specific stuff. My dealer had Fox 2.0s on the wall ready to install, but (no surprise) had no idea how they're different than what Fox and Bilstein are currently designing or manufacturing right now.

NOTE: 2021 Trucks will require the lower spring perch to be adjusted 5/8” of an inch down on the strut shaft (towards the lower control arm) for proper suspension travel and improved ride.

I don't like the crazy rake on my new truck, but I'm willing to wait a month or three until the new stuff comes out.

vtron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Anyone have pics of this mod? I have the work surface lid... hopefully this fix is still applicable?
I don't have pics, but here's a video. I found using needle nose vice grips was easier than using a screwdriver.

I have the work surface lid as well and ended up using 4 nickels; one on the top and bottom of each of the two springs.

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
For ride comfort, good quality, and an amazing warranty. BDS has a good lift but costly for the new f150.
I have auto stop too and it depends on what you're running that even if still stopped it will kick back on.
Sponsored