Sponsored

Could It Be This Easy?? Generator Bonding Plug - Nope!

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
False: "The PB is BONDED and can NOT be unbonded." Ford doesn't want to take this on, but the simple answer is disconnecting one wire will unbond it. Note that unbonding it does not violate the NEC. Nor will operating it unbonded and connected to your house violate the NEC so long as your house is is properly wired. I've probed the system via my dealership and Ford just ignores the question. A real disappointment, Ford's better than this, they're just lazy.
You can switch a bonded portable generator to unbonded this way. Most manufacturers provide instructions in the manual on how to do it. Now whether the PB can be converted in the same way remains to be seen as far as I know. One would likely need to pull the 110/220v inverter unit out and open it up to see how it's wired and if it is possible to convert it. Otherwise the best option to connect it to a house remains a 3 pole transfer switch.
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
That's also not true... Open the wire between the ground and neutral... What you need to be sure of is that the frame remains connected to the ground and the neutral is not. I didn't buy a $750 generator on the spec that I'd have to spend another $500-$1000 to modify my house so I could use it. My expectation was plug and play... Failing that I expected Ford to belly up to the bar and at least let me know how to modify my truck.......... Let's be clear: we're not discussing something that violates the NEC, we're talking about the difference between OSHA rules and the NEC

Jglew82

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Occupation
Tech lead
Let's not blame Ford for your expectations... The intent of the generator was to power worksite tools (portable) hence the bonded neutral. What you do with your house is up to you to research and implement, not Ford's.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have been using the Powerboost generator now for just short of 2 years.
For everything from providing light in remote areas, running tools and appliances, but none more amazing than powering my tiny house (full time RV) during shore power service interruptions. Some for considerable lengths of time.

In my opinion it has delivered exactly what Ford convinced me that it would. So I personally don't feel misled.

But I'm not naive either. I fully expect that there are things that I could use ProPower for that might require some preparation. And I admit that it's not that clear to me exactly how to go about it if I were to be relying on FORD to explain it to me. :)

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Let's not blame Ford for your expectations... The intent of the generator was to power worksite tools (portable) hence the bonded neutral. What you do with your house is up to you to research and implement, not Ford's.
Exactly. Ford likely considered contractors to be its primary market for the pro power generator. So, it would be more important for the generator to be OSHA-compliant than it would be for it to be compatible for home use as a backup generator. OSHA standards require that a portable generator used on a worksite have a bonded neutral. 29 CFR Sec. 1926.956(c). https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1926/1926.956. In Ford’s calculus, disappointed homeowners are unfortunate. But contractors getting hit with OSHA citations would be a PR nightmare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I thought Ford had a commercial of the truck powering a house in a storm.
It can and will provided the house is properly equipped to accept power from a bonded neutral generator. You need a 3 pole GFCI transfer switch to prevent the generator GFCI from tripping.

Last edited:

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
False: "The PB is BONDED and can NOT be unbonded." Ford doesn't want to take this on, but the simple answer is disconnecting one wire will unbond it. Note that unbonding it does not violate the NEC. Nor will operating it unbonded and connected to your house violate the NEC so long as your house is is properly wired. I've probed the system via my dealership and Ford just ignores the question. A real disappointment, Ford's better than this, they're just lazy.
GV, you have been on this point for a while, and I wish you had been successful, but let's not CONFUSE people even more on a confusing subject.

The PB IS BONDED and can NOT be unbonded.

The fact that it could have been designed diferently, or that Ford could release a spec to allow 3rd parties to figure out how to unbond it, is not the point, for people asking the question or trying to understand how to use PB in a "generator" application.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Not sure exactly what all Ford Marketing might have put out, but what you CAN do in a house power outage situation is to use extension cords to connect directly to refrigs, freezer, fans, heaters, TVs and strings of lights (as well as rechargers for phones). Nothing needed except extension cords.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I thought the TV commercials were the Lightning?
And with the Lightning, that home solution includes a specific home interface that I assume addresses the issue(s)?
I do remember seeing the ads for the Lightning and powering a home. On a side note, for the $90K+ that damn thing costs it'd better come with a solution to power the house from it's charger unit...

You got your flack jacket handy? :)

NOW I see why you said that.. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
GV, you have been on this point for a while, and I wish you had been successful, but let's not CONFUSE people even more on a confusing subject.

The PB IS BONDED and can NOT be unbonded.

The fact that it could have been designed diferently, or that Ford could release a spec to allow 3rd parties to figure out how to unbond it, is not the point, for people asking the question or trying to understand how to use PB in a "generator" application.
The fact remains that your statement is false. This could be as simple as undoing a screw that connects the two circuits. What I'd like to see is Ford release a procedure enabling people to power their home. Also, recall the ice storm down in Texas where Ford dealers let people use Powerboosts to power homes. It was as if it was as simple as driving up and plugging in your house... Really?

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
The fact remains that your statement is false. This could be as simple as undoing a screw that connects the two circuits. What I'd like to see is Ford release a procedure enabling people to power their home. Also, recall the ice storm down in Texas where Ford dealers let people use Powerboosts to power homes. It was as if it was as simple as driving up and plugging in your house... Really?
Please just stop it.

You are confused on what fact means. You have let this pet peeve of yours, continue to confuse people on this forum.

My statement is NOT false. There is no way for me, you, the OP or anyone else to un-bond a PB. Could there ever be a solution, yes, is it likely, NO. Whether it every could be does that help the problem the OP was trying to solve now.... No.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

commercial was with the lightining. Not on a ICE truck. Ford has only advertised the pro power as a work site power option.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I do remember seeing the ads for the Lightning and powering a home. On a side note, for the $90K+ that damn thing costs it'd better come with a solution to power the house from it's charger unit...

NOW I see why you said that.. :ROFLMAO:
First, why does everyone think the Lightning is a $90k truck, but my KingRanch is just a Powerboost, with no mention of $80K? 🤣🤣

And yes, that IS why I asked. Lol

The electrification of the F150 added one more topic that can hold its own with any oil thread!

I personally thoroughly enjoy the amazing changes that adding a little battery and a BIG inverter to a pick-up truck ushered in. It's anything but just another Hybrid vehicle.
Sponsored