Sponsored

Could It Be This Easy?? Generator Bonding Plug - Nope!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Poking around on MicroAir's site https://www.microair.net/ looking to see if they had a 110v Easy Start unit designed for portable AC units and I find this nifty device..

Generator Bonding Plug

Finally, a simple solution for a simple problem.

Sometimes your generator won’t start when plugged into the RV. When powering your trailer on a portable generator or low power inverter, certain surge protector devices like those on your generator will report an "OPEN GROUND" or “E2” or "OPEN NEUTRAL" fault. The equipment is looking for an earth-ground connection, grounding in a word. This can prevent your power source from starting.

To resolve this problem, all you need is Micro-Air’s Portable Generator and Inverter Bonding Plug. Truly plug-and-play, all it requires is for you to plug it into the outlet of your generator or inverter and then . . . walk away! It bonds the open ground and permits your power source to operate. No need for metal staking to ground your generator. This does the job [\QUOTE]

Makes me wonder if this simple $18.00 item would solve the circuit breaker trip floating/bonded neutral issue with the ProPower generator connection to houses without a 3 Pole Transfer switch...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
LOL, nope but I'd either email them or test it on a portable generator first before attempting it on the PB.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I was just messing with ya.
I mostly just lurk in the Powerboost ProPower "bonding" threads.

There's some really knowledgeable folks on here regarding, that's for sure. But it's a subject that draw some ire. 😉

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I was just messing with ya.
I mostly just lurk in the Powerboost ProPower "bonding" threads.

There's some really knowledgeable folks on here regarding, that's for sure. But it's a subject that draw some ire. 😉
No worries I figured you were. 🤪

I sent an email to their technical support team about it to see what they have to say. I'll post their response when I get it.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Small data point but I exploded a microwave a couple of months ago messing with the neutral bonding on my old school home generator.

It seems older style loads (without circuit boards or inverters) do well regardless of the setup. But new fangled stuff (TV's, or heck even probably toasters have circuit cards today) is very sensitive.

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Small data point but I exploded a microwave a couple of months ago messing with the neutral bonding on my old school home generator.

It seems older style loads (without circuit boards or inverters) do well regardless of the setup. But new fangled stuff (TV's, or heck even probably toasters have circuit cards today) is very sensitive.
Agreed, just about everything out there has some sort of computer in it now. Would make for a disaster in some cases if there was a grounding issue. I have a 3 pole GFCI transfer switch for my house already and can run the house off either the truck or my portable generator which are both bonded neutral units. I also already have all the sensitive electronics like on UPS units.

I was curious about this for those out there who don't have the 3 pole transfer switch and just need to run the essentials like AC or heat and some lights off the truck until primary power is restored. Or power an RV/camper as long as it is properly grounded to avoid any possible issues.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
watching

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
If I'm correct, that's a Farady plug. It bonds the neutral to the ground in the plug. That doesn't fix the floating neutral vs bonded neutral issue. It simply repeats the already bonded neutral hookup and may trip the generator off line as it's a second gound to neutral connection.

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That's very possible. Have to wait to see what the guys at Micro Air say about it unless someone on here has already tried it and can report back.

Sponsored

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
Look like a plug that is used to simply convert a floating ground generator to a bonded generator. You could always tie the ground and the neutral of the generator to have all the plugs at all time bonded. But then if you need a floating ground generator you would have to remove that connection. So this might be the simplest and easiest way to bond your generator.

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Got the response from Micro-Air.

My question,

I have a 2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid that has the 7.2KW generator/inverter onboard. This unit like most modern portable generators is setup with bonded neutral and trips the inverter GFCI if connected to the house generator inlet. From the description of the item this plug would prevent that from occurring. Do you know if this item would behave the same way for the PB inverter as a portable generator and prevent the truck's circuit breaker from tripping and not cause damage to the PB inverter when in use?

Their response:
That would not work. A GFCI measures the L1 current against the neutral current. Any difference means there is current on the ground so it trips. The bonding plug would cause some current to conduct on the ground since it would connect those two wires together.

To fix a GFCI problem, you must determine why there is a current on the ground.

So either I asked the wrong question, did not word it correctly, or it simply will not work as how I thought it might. What @Yves sais that it converts an unbonded generator to become a bonded unit is very likely correct based on what the description and their response is.

Well that's that then. Worth a shot though.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Understand everyone would like a "magic" cheap but safe solution, but this bonding plug is EXACTLY the opposite of the issue with the PB

The PB is BONDED and can NOT be unbonded.

This "magic" plug turns a UN-bonded generator into a BONDED one. Many portable generators come with one so you can run it bonded or un-bonded.

Additional you can make one for just the cost of a thru plug an 2 inches of wire to connect Gnd to Neutral.

None of that will help the PB. PB is bonded, can not be un-bonded, hence when running it as a generator to a house electrical system (that is itself bonded at the breaker box), you must have a breaker box switch that will un-bond your house system.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Your transfer switch is in front of a bonded panel if it's tripping the PB. A 3 way transfer switch goes between a bonded panel (often utility, or near utility if not in main panel), and what would be considered sub panels (no bonding / discrete N / G).

If this is an 'older' setup, your 3 way transfer switch was never working properly to begin with, it's just the generator doesn't give no shits if there's N/G loops as it's not GFCI.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
False: "The PB is BONDED and can NOT be unbonded." Ford doesn't want to take this on, but the simple answer is disconnecting one wire will unbond it. Note that unbonding it does not violate the NEC. Nor will operating it unbonded and connected to your house violate the NEC so long as your house is is properly wired. I've probed the system via my dealership and Ford just ignores the question. A real disappointment, Ford's better than this, they're just lazy.
Sponsored