YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Just got some pricing from a local shop. Curious what others are paying -
  • Scotchgard Protector, Paint Protection Film from 3M - $1900 to do the front of the truck (hood, bumper, mirrors)
  • Ceramic Pro - $1400 w/5 year warranty or $2200 w/lifetime warranty to do the rest of the truck
I'm guessing I could do the entire truck (or just the front) with Ceramic Pro for less, but I didn't get the price on that.

What are other's paying for paint protection?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
9 year Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on truck, wheels, and glass.

Interior protection package on seats, carpet, console, and dash.

$2,047.

Last edited:

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid
I was quoted the following:
Xpel Full front: 2095
Xpel Ceramic Coating - 900 with a 4 year warranty. It's 1495 as a standalone, discounted as a package

The other place I looked quoted me another 2000 which included a single stage paint correction

The third place hasn't returned my calls or emails

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
I went full truck PPF (Xpel) for *grits teeth* $5k here in L.A. That comes with a 10-year warranty against yellowing and cracking. That's actually substantially less expensive than the other shops I talked to, where I got quotes of around $6,500 for the whole truck. The shop I went with would've done the front for $2,400.

They'll also do Ceramic Pro for $1,250 for the 5 year and $1,750 for the lifetime. After too many hours of research and talking to a friend of mine that owns a detailing shop, I decided I'll probably go with a shorter term solution on the ceramic coat. Everything I've seen (and my friend told me this before I started researching) says that the ceramic coat benefits (hydrophobic properties, ease of cleaning) tend to wear off after 2-3 years regardless of any warranties. I found a couple of places that'll do a 3-year warrantied coating for $600-750, so I'm leaning that way.

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went full truck PPF (Xpel) for *grits teeth* $5k here in L.A. That comes with a 10-year warranty against yellowing and cracking. That's actually substantially less expensive than the other shops I talked to, where I got quotes of around $6,500 for the whole truck. The shop I went with would've done the front for $2,400.

They'll also do Ceramic Pro for $1,250 for the 5 year and $1,750 for the lifetime. After too many hours of research and talking to a friend of mine that owns a detailing shop, I decided I'll probably go with a shorter term solution on the ceramic coat. Everything I've seen (and my friend told me this before I started researching) says that the ceramic coat benefits (hydrophobic properties, ease of cleaning) tend to wear off after 2-3 years regardless of any warranties. I found a couple of places that'll do a 3-year warrantied coating for $600-750, so I'm leaning that way.
Lou - great price for the PPF. The shop I talked to quoted 6500 for the full truck. Curious, if you’re doing PPF for the full truck then where will the CP get installed? On top of the PPF? Apologize if I misunderstood your post.

Sponsored

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lou - great price for the PPF. The shop I talked to quoted 6500 for the full truck. Curious, if you’re doing PPF for the full truck then where will the CP get installed? On top of the PPF? Apologize if I misunderstood your post.
Perfectly reasonable question, Tom! Yes, the CP would be over the PPF. They serve two different purposes. The PPF is physical protection, primarily. That is, it'll protect against the paint against scratches, rock chips, minor dings, etc. The ceramic is mostly cosmetic. It provides gloss and helps makes keeping it clean a lot easier both in that dirt, grime, bug guts, etc. don't stick nearly as much. So, the truck stays cleaner longer and washing is much faster.

Where in California are you, by the way?

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Perfectly reasonable question, Tom! Yes, the CP would be over the PPF. They serve two different purposes. The PPF is physical protection, primarily. That is, it'll protect against the paint against scratches, rock chips, minor dings, etc. The ceramic is mostly cosmetic. It provides gloss and helps makes keeping it clean a lot easier both in that dirt, grime, bug guts, etc. don't stick nearly as much. So, the truck stays cleaner longer and washing is much faster.

Where in California are you, by the way?
Thanks for the explanation, Lou. I had not heard of putting CP over the PPF. Given the amount I’m spending on this truck, I’d like to keep it looking good for a long time. I have a feeling I’m going to be driving it for the next 10-15 years.

I’m up north in San Francisco. How about yourself?

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the explanation, Lou. I had not heard of putting CP over the PPF. Given the amount I’m spending on this truck, I’d like to keep it looking good for a long time. I have a feeling I’m going to be driving it for the next 10-15 years.

I’m up north in San Francisco. How about yourself?
I'm with you. I'm planning on keeping my truck for a long time, so I want to keep it looking new for as long as I can. I made up my mind to do it when I was washing my Expedition (2007) and saw all of the chips and dings on it. I also get crazy busy with work at times, so being able to go a little longer between washes will be great.

I'm in Alhambra, just east of Los Angeles proper. I'm a Cal alum (Go Bears!), so love the bay. Parking in SF should be fun!

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
I have a good friend, runs his own mobile detailing setup here in San Diego. Can get a 1-step paint correction and ceramic treatment on all paint, glass and wheels for under $1,000. He does fabulous work because he's a perfectionist.

Last edited:

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am doing Ceramic Pro Silver 3 year warranty for $940. Appointment is the 22 I think

I asked about PPF and I was quoted $6000 for the entire trucks

Sponsored

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
Ok this may seem like a dumb question, but is this process justified for a truck that goes off-road in a limited capacity or is this more for street queens. I still use my truck as truck so it gets mud and dirt on it driving around our ranch. The end results look great but is my usage unrealistic for the product.

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok this may seem like a dumb question, but is this process justified for a truck that goes off-road in a limited capacity or is this more for street queens. I still use my truck as truck so it gets mud and dirt on it driving around our ranch. The end results look great but is my usage unrealistic for the product.
While my truck will MOSTLY be a "street queen,"lol, I think the PPF, in particular, is useful for your use case. A good friend of mine put it on his 4runner mostly because he's going to be doing some mild off-roading with it and doesn't want the paint to get too damaged. The good films are self-healing, so minor scratches and dings disappear. The ceramic coating would help you keep the truck cleaner longer and also make it a lot easier to wash. Ultimately, it's pretty pricey, but if you want the paint to stay looking new, longer, I think it's useful. On the other hand, roughed up trucks look good in their own way, too!

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm with you. I'm planning on keeping my truck for a long time, so I want to keep it looking new for as long as I can. I made up my mind to do it when I was washing my Expedition (2007) and saw all of the chips and dings on it. I also get crazy busy with work at times, so being able to go a little longer between washes will be great.

I'm in Alhambra, just east of Los Angeles proper. I'm a Cal alum (Go Bears!), so love the bay. Parking in SF should be fun!
Fortunately I live in a part of SF where street parking isn’t too difficult. I can usually park right in front of my house. Most important is to never leave a garage door opener in the truck. Thieves have figured out that trick - break into the car and then open the garage!

I know Alhambra pretty well - grew up in Diamond Bar!

Mike&Max

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost Black Appearance
Occupation
DHS
I was quoted the following:
Xpel Full front: 2095
Xpel Ceramic Coating - 900 with a 4 year warranty. It's 1495 as a standalone, discounted as a package

The other place I looked quoted me another 2000 which included a single stage paint correction

The third place hasn't returned my calls or emails
i live in northern Va, and was curious what shop you got your quotes from. I have been getting 2395 for PPF and 1500 for the ceramic coating.
Sponsored