OP
OP
eamatherne

eamatherne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited POWERBOOST Hybrid 4x4
The part finally came in for my truck to address the leak. The part number is ML3Z-10C708-A. It is called a "COOLING UNIT ASY". THE NOTES ON THE INVOICE SAY THAT THEY: "RECOVERED FREON FROM AC SYSTEM, REMOVED OLD AND FOUND ONE AC LINE GASKET WAS DAMAGED, REPLACED AND REINSTALLED, RECHARGED 123YF FREON THEN CHECKED FOR LEAKS AND FOUND NONE".

SO I'M STILL NOT SURE WHAT FLUID WAS LEAKING WHETHER IT WAS REFRIGERANT OIL OR COOLANT? THE SERVICE MANAGER CALLED IT A TRANSMISSION COOLER? I ASKED HIM IF IT WAS AN ELECTRIC BATTERY COOLER MAYBE AND HE SAID IT WAS BOTH A BATTERY AND TRANSMISSION COOING ASSEMBLY? NOT SURE? BOTTOM LINE IS THEY CHANGED THE PART AND NOW IT'S NOT LEAKING.

SEE ATTACHED PICTURE OF THE PART.

Ford F-150 Refrigerant Oil or Coolant Leak Cooling Unit Assembly

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 powerboost, ranger 2020 and lawn tractor
The part finally came in for my truck to address the leak. The part number is ML3Z-10C708-A. It is called a "COOLING UNIT ASY". THE NOTES ON THE INVOICE SAY THAT THEY: "RECOVERED FREON FROM AC SYSTEM, REMOVED OLD AND FOUND ONE AC LINE GASKET WAS DAMAGED, REPLACED AND REINSTALLED, RECHARGED 123YF FREON THEN CHECKED FOR LEAKS AND FOUND NONE".

SO I'M STILL NOT SURE WHAT FLUID WAS LEAKING WHETHER IT WAS REFRIGERANT OIL OR COOLANT? THE SERVICE MANAGER CALLED IT A TRANSMISSION COOLER? I ASKED HIM IF IT WAS AN ELECTRIC BATTERY COOLER MAYBE AND HE SAID IT WAS BOTH A BATTERY AND TRANSMISSION COOING ASSEMBLY? NOT SURE? BOTTOM LINE IS THEY CHANGED THE PART AND NOW IT'S NOT LEAKING.

SEE ATTACHED PICTURE OF THE PART.

Cooling Unit Assembly.jpg
the part on top with the black gasket is the refrigerent txv. bottom is the coolant cooler. it was definitely leaking refrigerent oil.

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
Thanks Eamatherne. I've been waiting for this problem to show up cause my truck has a slight leak as well. Good to know what this part is and what is needed to fix it. So did they replace unit or just seal?

Sponsored

ccwhaler

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lariat. 2021 Lariat Hybrid
Same issue for me, happened after a tow and camping trip. About 3 hour trip one way. No major highways but lots of up and down. Major issues with fuel consumption while towing and issues with jumpy shifting between 5 and 8. On our return we noticed the leak while cleaning it up. In the shop now and awaiting result. Rav4 rental just ain’t cutting it! I think the issue is with the chips Myself. And my dealer said no codes came up on their system and they have to follow up with Ford in the US. Also having a lot of issues with sync not saving preferences and resetting to default, speed jump 15km above set speed while in cruise. The drive is a dream while now towing and in eco mode. Tow mode needs work.
have requested a truck as a rental, because I need a truck but rental company contracted by ford doesn’t offer any with hitches,
just hope the parts and the fix doesn’t take more then a week.
dealer said my new loaded hybrid lariat with 1500km on it is currently unsafe to drive . Great.

ccwhaler

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lariat. 2021 Lariat Hybrid
Same issue for me, happened after a tow and camping trip. About 3 hour trip one way. No major highways but lots of up and down. Major issues with fuel consumption while towing and issues with jumpy shifting between 5 and 8. On our return we noticed the leak while cleaning it up. In the shop now and awaiting result. Rav4 rental just ain’t cutting it! I think the issue is with the chips Myself. And my dealer said no codes came up on their system and they have to follow up with Ford in the US. Also having a lot of issues with sync not saving preferences and resetting to default, speed jump 15km above set speed while in cruise. The drive is a dream while now towing and in eco mode. Tow mode needs work.
have requested a truck as a rental, because I need a truck but rental company contracted by ford doesn’t offer any with hitches,
just hope the parts and the fix doesn’t take more then a week.
dealer said my new loaded hybrid lariat with 1500km on it is currently unsafe to drive . Great.
My main leak is the transmission coolant leaking and they are also replacing the whole unit. I won’t be taking it back until the transmission gets a service because it was doing some crazy shifting (like from 8 to 3) with big swings in rpms and jolting jumps of the truck. Trying not to freak out and realize that this is a new model issued during very hard production issues and part shortages. I hope I got the chips that were ori designed for this model. I did anticipate some issues and I am glad we had a camping trip before the winter so the issue is addressed up front.
I trust ford will make it rigth

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retail
I took my truck in for 1st oil change and let them know of this issue. I showed them pics from forum with part #'s & all. Mechanic attempted to tighten and made it worse, losing almost all ac function on the way home. I was pretty pist off. I immediatly call them back and asked why would they attempt to mess with it before knowing if they had parts or seals, which they didn't. No loaner cars either due to no enventory. Parts arrived a few days later but pag oil which is needed for freon wasn't gonna be available for a few of weeks. They were able to find some from another dealer a week & 1/2 later. If you have this issue make sure they have parts and oil before messing with it.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
How did the dealership not have PAG oil? You can go to an auto parts store and get it. It's not some mysterious fluid and it's used in many vehicles.

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retail
That's what I thought as well, but they claim its a special kind specific for hybrid system.

Sponsored

Firsttimefordowner

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Just dropped off my 1 week old F-150. A leak basically below the center console. Almost clear but oily. It left a couple stains on my driveway. By the time I got to the dealership it was almost a steady stream. The service guy told me it’s normal. I asked if oil stains on my driveway are normal and he said yes, they should go away after a few days. I lost it and told them I want to return the vehicle. The worst part is that I leave tomorrow morning camping for 2 weeks. Impatiently waiting to hear what they find.

The stain to the right of the truck has now been there for over 24 hours. I thought maybe it was the AC, so figured I would leave it to see if it dries. It didn’t.

Ford F-150 Refrigerant Oil or Coolant Leak 82AD81BD-7AD1-476C-84F4-84A8FE6F49A2

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
How do they say that with a straight face?
The world is upside down. It's now OK to say something that you KNOW can NOT be true. Lol

So if it is normal, at some point wouldn't you run out of whatever is leaking?

PwrBoost2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Limited 4x4 PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer / Manager
So - this exact problem just happened on my 2022 Limited PowerBoost. 1300 miles. Great info on the part and service it required. Let’s see how long the part will take to come in.

Ford F-150 Refrigerant Oil or Coolant Leak BAC0E30E-EF29-4A89-B37B-F8864B475169

Ford F-150 Refrigerant Oil or Coolant Leak C4D67A0B-746B-4A5C-89A1-75B1144B0B28

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
From the previous pictures that shows the black rubber seal, why wouldn't it be possible to replace that seal rather than the whole assembly?

I bet the dealership will say that Ford doesn't make just the seal available?

Ford F-150 Refrigerant Oil or Coolant Leak Screenshot_20220919_215735

Ford F-150 Refrigerant Oil or Coolant Leak Screenshot_20220919_215909