First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I have had my 22 F150 Powerboost for 4 months. Had to call roadside service for a jumpstart, lost battery power overnight. I had to inadvertently find a way to bypass the battery saver system thus draining the starting battery. Let's just say it was my fault not the Powerboost, yes nice if it had caught what I did however it is an imperfect world. That said, 4k miles and no issue other than my own. The truck has some quirks, so do I. I enjoy driving the rolling computers. The power when I want it, the fuel economy when not romping on it. I will use the 7.2 generator next year working on our horse trailer at the barn and the boat trailer at the marina. Nice to have power without hauling my Honda eu2000 around. I pay no attention to CR, they like so many get a bug up their tailpipes.
Sponsored

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum 701A
My wife absolutely adores CR... A source of irritation for me. Need a new appliance or whatever? Off she goes to CR and selects the top rated brand/model in our price range. I can't tell you how many times their ratings for most reliable this, that, or the other turned out to be massive piles of steaming dog :poop:...

Two date CR's ratings have been absolutely dead wrong on two refrigerators, HE washer, three toaster ovens, a stove, and a car... All of these were "Top Picks" for long term reliability/value and were flatlined in under 2 years with exception of the car that would have become a money pit once the warranty was up had I not forced her to trade it in...

The dishwasher was my pick. A Bosch stainless unit that CR ranked low and very unreliable. It's been going strong for 15 freaking years... The only thing I have had to replace was the drain anti-reverse flow valve. Cost me $13 bucks and 15 minutes of time to replace...

Consumer Reports can suck it..
I’ve been a CR subscriber for 35+ years and it used to be my bible for appliance purchases, car research, etc. Over the last few years I’ve become disenchanted with their inexplicable top ratings and dings. I don’t suffer from confirmation bias but I think they’ve become a shill for some manufacturers.

However, I continue to rely on their vehicle reliability and repair model year data, which comes from owner survey’s. It appears to be more reliable than not.

Last edited:

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum 701A
Consumer Reports doesn't rate the vehicles, owners do. CR compiles owner survey data, which determines the reliability ratings and ranking. Every CR online member is prompted to take the surveys. Quote from CR below.

"Every year, CR asks its members about problems they’ve had with their vehicles in the previous 12 months. This year, we gathered data on over 300,000 vehicles, from the 2000 to 2022 model years (with a few early-introduced 2023 model years), that address 17 trouble areas, including engine, transmission, in-car electronics, and more. We use that information to give reliability ratings for every major mainstream model."

I've participated in CR's surveys for maybe 15 years. The Q&A is structured in a very objective manner. I see no opportunity for CR to introduce bias. I believe that Jeep has challenged the rankings several times, and in each case CR's compilation of owner experiences have held up in court.
Actually, CR reviews many new vehicles and rates them accordingly with a numerical score. However, repair and reliability scoring are a result of owner experiences reported to CR through surveys. I trust their historical model year survey data more than their initial vehicle review scoring.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
Appreciate your frustration. The survey doesn't consider supply chain issues, and shouldn't if all makes are experiencing the same delays. It's the number of owner reported issues, and particularly more serious issues involving additional downtime, that drive the ratings.

Was your problem with ProPower entirely software related? The ProPower system in my job 1 truck was fixed with an OTA update some months after purchase. I can wash my truck and drive through rain and puddles now.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
I don't own a PB. I have been following this and the other forum, though. PB related issues are higher than non-PB in my limited overview. Also, the Max-tow sheared bolt (not related to PB, but many PB have it) is a huge issue.

The truth and reality is hybrid and electric trucks are only out there due to EPA, CAFE, and goverment mandates. Just like when they pretty much killed light duty diesel cars/trucks in the US.

I also see the owner's side of the story. Perfect example is I have a 2015 BMW 328i. Notoriously known to be unreliaible. At about 60,000 miles, my only repair was a $18 rear-wheel speed sensor.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I had an intermittent drive unit failure that took a few months for it to finally fail and stay dead at the dealership. The entire assembly was replaced. Since then the truck has been reliable (knock on wood).
So mine would have helped to justify the CR reporting technically. But, other than that, it is a good truck.
Would I buy another PB, nope. I'm actually thinking about getting on the Chevy Silverado ev pre-order list. I like the interior of the Chevy better than the Lightning.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I don't own a PB. I have been following this and the other forum, though. PB related issues are higher than non-PB in my limited overview.
Most threads that state "Powerboost" in them and an issue are not specific to the hybrid platform. It does seem odd that Powerboost trucks seem to be getting more issues than non-PB vehicles, but most problems are on features that are available with the other powertrains as well.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I will never be without a Powerboost, or an equivalent equipped truck. For my lifestyle it's a game changing design and raised the bar.

As far as the max-tow bolt breaking concern, I only HOPE that if I were to suffer any of the potential reported maladys, that's the one. Far less "serious" than a misbehaving 10r80-MHT that the dealerships might misdiagnose or drag their feet, for example.

In fact I have the solution for a axle bolt breaking in my hands. Literally

Ford F-150 Consumer Reports List Powerboost On Least Reliable 20221116_093247

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
:eek: How dare you. This is the internet and I demand that my outrage, obstinance, and opinion be heard in a vacuum from facts and reality. I certainly refuse to acknowledge ANY type of science or math. By the way, you're destroying our country.
Sounds like someone is bucking for a shot at a vice president pick. :)

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
bgalakazom:
"I don't own a PB. I have been following this and the other forum, though. PB related issues are higher than non-PB in my limited overview. Also, the Max-tow sheared bolt (not related to PB, but many PB have it) is a huge issue."

This part of the quote is kind of a no-brainer to me...of course the PB is going to have more issues, you're adding a large, new, complicated system. Anyone who thought there was no risk of more issues was deceiving themselves.

"The truth and reality is hybrid and electric trucks are only out there due to EPA, CAFE, and goverment mandates. Just like when they pretty much killed light duty diesel cars/trucks in the US. "

Not at all true. Some of us like the extra power, some like better mileage without having to get a diesel. And the Propower option is huge for many. For a job-site truck around town that's not towing/hauling heavy loads long distances, it's a big improvement that didn't need any kind of mandate.

Sponsored

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
bgalakazom:
"The truth and reality is hybrid and electric trucks are only out there due to EPA, CAFE, and goverment mandates. Just like when they pretty much killed light duty diesel cars/trucks in the US. "

Not at all true. Some of us like the extra power, some like better mileage without having to get a diesel. And the Propower option is huge for many. For a job-site truck around town that's not towing/hauling heavy loads long distances, it's a big improvement that didn't need any kind of mandate.
Nope. It HAS to be the government's fault. Again, this is the internet.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I’m at 1 year of ownership, 18,000 miles, zero problems. For piece of mind I did purchase an extended warranty, bumper to bumper coverage until around 160k, and I purchased from a dealership that provides lifetime powertrain warranty. Just have to set yourself up for success.

OP
OP
2022RedDog

2022RedDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Powerboost Egate Black
It sounds like common major issue is related to climate control system.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I’m at 1 year of ownership, 18,000 miles, zero problems. For piece of mind I did purchase an extended warranty, bumper to bumper coverage until around 160k, and I purchased from a dealership that provides lifetime powertrain warranty. Just have to set yourself up for success.
True. That, and a spare vehicle when the PB is in the shop.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
In fact I have the solution for a axle bolt breaking in my hands. Literally
I take it you're going to install those? Trying to repair a sheered bolt will likely happen at a rather inopportune time.
Sponsored