First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
For those of you with the console, would you prefer a column shifter like the Super Duty’s to gain more cup holders / storage? Seems like they could even save money by not having to engineeer the fold down shifter as they did.
The in the field research they did told them that majority of truck owners prefer the shifter over a dial or on the column. That's why they put the shifter there. They listened to the people who buy their product.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dan

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
Freaked me out the first time this happened.
Pull up to the coffee joint in the morning, shut the truck off, and wondered why the key won’t come out.
THEN. The shifter started moving up—-freaky
Key? What key? Do some of these 2021's have a key?

NO LIMITS

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Self Employed
For those of you with the console, would you prefer a column shifter like the Super Duty’s to gain more cup holders / storage? Seems like they could even save money by not having to engineeer the fold down shifter as they did.
As my late father once said, "it took them [the car manufacturers] forty years to get the shifter off the floor and on the column, so why would anyone want it back on the floor?" My Expedition, unlike my new f-150, has int on column and seems more practical.

doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Real estate
I loved my column shifter on my 2015 F150. It was a necessity IMO since I used to plow with it. I really liked it. I instantly adjusted to the dial on Ram and have ever had an issue with it. It does free up a lot of space. I drove two '21 powerboosts. An XLT that had the column shifter and a Lariat with the consoler shifter/workstation option. The Lariat was really nice. I'd be fine with the console shifter but I did think the button depression felt cheap and wonky. As did the movement of the shifter. It wouldn't prevent me from my buying, but I was wondering if this is due the folding shifter setup. I'd be curious how the shifter operation feels on a truck without workstation option felt. If you could spec a column shifter on a higher optioned Lariat and above, I'd be opt of that for sure.

Last edited:

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
The only "good" about the shifter is it gives me a hand rest. I thought I had to have a console shifter to be happy. The Ram showed me otherwise. Much better use of the space with the Ram. Within a week or two I was used to the dial and now I found myself turning the 4 wheel drive dial. Ford can get rid of the trailer knob which is the biggest waste that I will never use and put the shifter dial there.
Well said sir!!!!! Well said ? ? ? ? ? ?

Sponsored

BamaGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
I love the console, and the shifter. BUT, if they asked me "hey, want more storage in that area?" I would say "yes!" and then settle for a drive knob or column shifter. The area where the knob would go is already congested so seems like column would utilize space the best.

Hopefully mine won't wear out from only using it likely once every few weeks. I saw someone post a pic of the area where it folds into to hold fries haha. While I wouldn't do that, it is the perfect shape to hold a bottle of hand sanitizer (until I noticed the rectangular one between the 2 round cup holders in the back of the console is even MORE perfect for that bottle).

While they could have used a mechanical release to allow the shifter to fold, I think the motorized version could also help in some cases. I mean the way it will shift into park as a "safety" feature. It will be annoying if you didn't want it, but I could see it also being a lifesaver. I was at a stoplight and noticed some dirt in my lap so I opened the door to brush it out the door. My powerboost is so quiet I could have easily forgotten it was in drive and let my foot off the brake, and I have auto-hold disabled. It would have hit the car in front of me if I got complacent. After I saw the shifter had shifted to park I thought "ah, that makes sense now" because as a truck owner I'm still wired in my brain to think "quiet = truck off".
Same! I have my sanitizer in that spot. This hybrid is whisper quiet!! I’ve Not had a hybrid before so getting used to it ? I drove almost 3000 Interstate miles the first week and did NOT get 24/24 MPG. More like 19. I was disappointed ? as I had been bragging on how much I’d save in gas.
Still love my truck tho!

Reactions: Dan

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I loved my column shifter on my 2015 F150. It was a necessity IMO since I used to plow with it. I really liked it. I instantly adjusted to the dial on Ram and have ever had an issue with it. It does free up a lot of space. I drove two '21 powerboosts. An XLT that had the column shifter and a Lariat with the consoler shifter/workstation option. The Lariat was really nice. I'd be fine with the console shifter but it the button depression felt cheap and wonky. As did the movement of the shifter. It wouldn't prevent me from my buying, but I was wondering if this is due the folding shifter setup. I'd be curious if you didn't have the option if it felt better. If you could spec a column shifter on a higher optioned Lariat and above, I'd be opt of that for sure.
Well you can get a column shiter with six. So why complain about the 'SHITER' hehehehe

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Practically nothing at all. To me It just seems wrong to use a knob to put a truck in gear. It could be made of pure titanium and It would still seem cheap and wrong to me.

Kinda like if someone mixed a Toy Poodle and a Great Dane. It can be done, but it's just wrong.
Yea they suck with knobs

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Same! I have my sanitizer in that spot. This hybrid is whisper quiet!! I’ve Not had a hybrid before so getting used to it ? I drove almost 3000 Interstate miles the first week and did NOT get 24/24 MPG. More like 19. I was disappointed ? as I had been bragging on how much I’d save in gas.
Still love my truck tho!
It's all that power that you forget how fast you are going that causes mpg to go up. Sport mod isn't nice with fuel.

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I got the console shifter because that’s what I wanted. I’ve mostly owned standard transmissions so the console shifter works for me. I find there is plenty of storage with that setup. If fact it is mostly empty space. I don’t use my truck for storage. If you looked in my truck right now all you would find is some sanitizer and an umbrella.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
Practically nothing at all. To me It just seems wrong to use a knob to put a truck in gear. It could be made of pure titanium and It would still seem cheap and wrong to me.

Kinda like if someone mixed a Toy Poodle and a Great Dane. It can be done, but it's just wrong.
I, like you, am fond of the shifter and think/thought the knob would be odd but we were in pigeon forge for a wedding and rented an expedition (as we all know, basically the same vehicle) and it had the rotary shifter, (I think they all do) It was an easy adjustment to make; then I replaced the 19 exploder with the 20 exploder and it has the rotary shifter (and as one of the above posters wished for, paddle shifters) point being I suspect the knob is the way of the future, Ram proved to the industry that it was a viable option in a truck and pretty much everyone else is doing it in their vehicles, The folding shifter and work surface just feel like a stepping stone to me and not much of a step to be honest as it's not connected to anything proven by the fact that the truck reverts to park if you shut it off in drive! (as do the exploders and all of the Lincolns with their pushbutton gear selectors.)

Last edited:

20acrefarms

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Atlas, 2023 F150 XL
Occupation
Industrial Fire Fighter
I, like you, am fond of the shifter and think/thought the knob would be odd but we were in pigeon forge for a wedding and rented an expedition (as we all know, basically the same vehicle) and it had the rotary shifter, (I think they all do) It was an easy adjustment to make, then I replaced the 19 exploder with the 20 exploder and it has the rotary shifter (and as one of the above posters wished for, paddle shifters) point being I suspect the knob is the way of the future, Ram proved to them that it was a viable option in a truck and pretty much everyone else is doing it in their vehicles, The folding shifter and work surface just feel like a stepping stone to me and not much of a step to be honest as it's not connected to anything proven by the fact that the truck reverts to park if you shut it off in drive! (as do the exploders and all of the Lincolns with their pushbutton gear selectors.)
I agree with this 100%. My preference is a column shifter but anything besides a knob or buttons is an over complication for the sake of fighting progress akin to a power window switch in the shape of a old window crank.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
I agree with this 100%. My preference is a column shifter but anything besides a knob or buttons is an over complication for the sake of fighting progress akin to a power window switch in the shape of a old window crank.
Yes, but I think that faux window crank is pretty f'n cool in a restomod!
Sponsored