Console shifter

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
For those of you with the console, would you prefer a column shifter like the Super Duty’s to gain more cup holders / storage? Seems like they could even save money by not having to engineeer the fold down shifter as they did.
Sponsored

dman17

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
For those of you with the console, would you prefer a column shifter like the Super Duty’s to gain more cup holders / storage? Seems like they could even save money by not having to engineeer the fold down shifter as they did.
Yes, or just a dial somewhere

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Don't have my truck yet but pretty sure I'd rather have the column shifter and no auto start/stop. Unfortunately in the Lariat trim neither is optional. Also in my 2002 F150 the only buttons on the steering wheel are to operate the cruise control. Not looking forward to all the different buttons they have now. Haven't seen the 2021 in person but the photos I've seen I can't even tell which ones operate the cruise looks like too many buttons to me!

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
The only "good" about the shifter is it gives me a hand rest. I thought I had to have a console shifter to be happy. The Ram showed me otherwise. Much better use of the space with the Ram. Within a week or two I was used to the dial and now I found myself turning the 4 wheel drive dial. Ford can get rid of the trailer knob which is the biggest waste that I will never use and put the shifter dial there.

clayjoe

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost Antimatter Blue two-tone
Occupation
Teacher
I have an XLT without the console shifter. Another pro is having the work surface open while driving. I have used it to eat and drive and to hold the 4 drink holster while driving. It is truly much better to have an old-school shifter. Plus, I have a perfect spot for my phone, wallet, and keys.

OP
OP
Asphaltman

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
The one thing I miss from the SuperDuty days is the extra room there. I have Weathertechs cupfone holder, so that kills one spot already. Plus, I wonder how long before these little motors in that shifter go out and strand someone. I too would also like to have the work surface open more. I thought I went over the order guide a bunch, but I didn’t see it for the 502a. After reading that post yesterday about the engineers meeting, it got me thinking of how many of these things and ideas look good on paper, but are worthless in real life. Like the above post, I’d be curious to see how many people use the reverse knob to back up.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Console shifter for sure!!!!!

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I cant do column shifter. I would probably not have bought the truck if that was the only option.

I wouldnt like a dial but its aight, I would get used to it.

Console Shifter just looks so damn right and good, I love it.

Sponsored

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I have thought the column shifter would be good for the space benefit, but I do want the sport bucket seats and it seems that only comes with console shifter (although maybe I need to dig a bit deeper in the B&P tool)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I love the console, and the shifter. BUT, if they asked me "hey, want more storage in that area?" I would say "yes!" and then settle for a drive knob or column shifter. The area where the knob would go is already congested so seems like column would utilize space the best.

Hopefully mine won't wear out from only using it likely once every few weeks. I saw someone post a pic of the area where it folds into to hold fries haha. While I wouldn't do that, it is the perfect shape to hold a bottle of hand sanitizer (until I noticed the rectangular one between the 2 round cup holders in the back of the console is even MORE perfect for that bottle).

While they could have used a mechanical release to allow the shifter to fold, I think the motorized version could also help in some cases. I mean the way it will shift into park as a "safety" feature. It will be annoying if you didn't want it, but I could see it also being a lifesaver. I was at a stoplight and noticed some dirt in my lap so I opened the door to brush it out the door. My powerboost is so quiet I could have easily forgotten it was in drive and let my foot off the brake, and I have auto-hold disabled. It would have hit the car in front of me if I got complacent. After I saw the shifter had shifted to park I thought "ah, that makes sense now" because as a truck owner I'm still wired in my brain to think "quiet = truck off".

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I had a Ram with the knob, and in every practical way it was better. More storage and out of the way. However, for reasons I can't explain, I would take the console shifter every time over the knob or column shifter. There is no practical reason for this, but I just like the feel of it better. Its a place to rest my hand, and it's easier to use the manual shifter with the buttons in a natural place (not that I do that all that often). It's what I have always been used to, so perhaps it's just a comfort thing.

clayjoe

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost Antimatter Blue two-tone
Occupation
Teacher
While they could have used a mechanical release to allow the shifter to fold, I think the motorized version could also help in some cases. I mean the way it will shift into park as a "safety" feature. It will be annoying if you didn't want it, but I could see it also being a lifesaver. I was at a stoplight and noticed some dirt in my lap so I opened the door to brush it out the door. My powerboost is so quiet I could have easily forgotten it was in drive and let my foot off the brake, and I have auto-hold disabled. It would have hit the car in front of me if I got complacent. After I saw the shifter had shifted to park I thought "ah, that makes sense now" because as a truck owner I'm still wired in my brain to think "quiet = truck off".
My column shifter does that too. I forgot once and was like WTF as my shifter rotated around my wheel to park.

OP
OP
Asphaltman

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
There is also a strip of push buttons like semi trucks out there, that would be cool. I do like the shifter, but miss the room. I also am a little worried as I can see stuff getting caught down near the shifter area. My '18 had the rubber boot in the console that you could easily wipe around.
Sponsored