Sponsored

Connect ProPower to shed for occasional power.

RKM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Hi all. Just got my Powerboost, with the 7.2kW generator. I have a generator question. I have a storage building that is “off-grid”. It has a three-wire lead sticking out from under. This lead wire goes through the floor, through conduit to a switch box that has a light switch and a duplex 120v power outlet, then through more conduit to a light fixture. So what do I need to use my truck for power to the shed? At first, I thought I would just attach a female 4-prong plug to the lead wire, then use a cord with male 4-prong plugs on each end to connect generator and building. But that doesn’t seem right. What am I missing? I realize this is more of an electrician question than a truck question, but I’m having a hard time understanding this generator.
Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
If that is a single 20 amp circuit, without any sort of fuse box, you should be able to just terminate your wire with an inlet plug; something like this (only rated at 15 amp):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CQH2N7D

..and then use a standard extension cord from your truck.

It's hard to say for certain what you need without more info... pictures / details of the wiring and loads would help.

**I am NOT an electrician!!** :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP

RKM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Thanks. I was going to use this orange female plug that I cut off for something else. I won’t use the red wire. I’ve also attached a picture of the lead wires on the building that will attach to the orange plug. I already have a connecting cord with 4 prong male connectors on each end (used to power my well pump in power outages. Also only has three wires, but the plugs were four). So I guess my question is, if I use these 4 prong plugs with only 3 wires actually attached, and plug it into the 4 way connector in the truck bed, will I get the 120 I need.
Ford F-150 Connect ProPower to shed for occasional power. 163BE0EE-81BA-4074-9126-985816617181
Ford F-150 Connect ProPower to shed for occasional power. C0A47B6F-B46B-4F39-8B64-3782ACA00199

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
It should work as expected, and by using 1/2 of the the 240 outlet you will have 30 amps of 120v power available (if your wiring and outlets can handle it.. many residential outlet won't take more than 15-20amps).

having said that, I would still consider getting a weatherproof box for your inlet.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: RKM