First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
All I can say I came from a 2011 Ecoboost (first year for that motor) and am thrilled to be back in a V8.
The 3.5 is a good engine (even though at roughly 72000 miles had to replace timing chain at $2500) and am sure they made improvements over the years but, my main concern was "ALWAYS" the turbos.
Driving a '21 Coyote now, so don't worry about those any more and V8's sound better!
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
All I can say is ain’t it great to have options and the ability to choose the power plant we want for our needs (although desiel is going away - but apparently hardly anyone chose it).

huhner5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Farmer
Turbos are nothing new.. old technology....turbo failures are very rare... For me it's all about performance... This is my Second 3.5 I've owned... First one (2015 F150) was tuned for ethanol (E30) since it was new... 100k miles later not a single problem... And was over 100hp above stock... I find it very hard that people would still want the 5.0.. but to each there own...

The 5.0 does sound good tho... Especially in my rear view mirror

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jumping back in here to say that as great as these engines are (especially the 5.0 lol) I think their days are numbered. In 20 years gas engines will likely be like film cameras, for special applications and enthusiasts only. Daily drivers will all be electric.

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
Totally agree with engine choices and Fords come a long way with the Eco. Like I stated, I came from the first year Eco and I'm sure they've made a lot of improvements since then.
But, with all those improvements, it doesn't change the fact that I smile every time I crank up my V8...to each their own!

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Totally agree with engine choices and Fords come a long way with the Eco. Like I stated, I came from the first year Eco and I'm sure they've made a lot of improvements since then.
But, with all those improvements, it doesn't change the fact that I smile every time I crank up my V8...to each their own!
Gotta say, everyone smiles a bit when their truck starts and does truck stuff!

superz

First Name
Zale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021f150RCSB;2016 Ecodiesel;2012 ISF; 66 Sting Ray
Occupation
Realtor
I was the proud owner of a 2019 F150 XLT with the 5.0 V8. I like you bought the V8 for the same reasons as you did. It was not until I had the truck for 23,000 miles that I realized that I did not buy the legendary 5.0 that everyone grew up with. This engine was anything but a 5.0. The engine was not a true 302cu in. engine it was a 307cu in. due to the redesign. The engine had a list of changes. The list was so long that it is easier to say, "The 5.0L version shares no parts with its predecessors." In fact the V8 engine used in 2018 thru 2020 trucks and cars has been DISCONTINUED. Good luck getting parts for these engines in a few years. OH I forgot to mention, you cannot repair the cylinders due to the type of materials used to coat the cylinder walls.
My research on the V8 has discovered that Ford only built that ill fated motor for 3 model years. They obviously knew it was a piece of GOLD so they started on the NEW/REDESIGNED 5.0 for 2021.
Questions: When buying the new vehicle did the salesman explain to you that the 2021 V8 was the NEW version of the old V8?
Did he explain to you that the oil pump was WET BELT driven? This means the redesigned oil pump is driven by the crank shaft via a belt inside of the oil pan. That is right, to change the oil soaked belt you have to drop the oil pan. Sounds like another Ford Idea.
Did he explain to you how the new engine has cylinder deactivation and how it worked? I could not find a salesman that could explain it or one who knew it existed.
My 2019 started using 2 quarts of oil in 7500 miles. The Ford solution was to detune my engine and put in a longer dip stick. That is when I decided I did not need it any longer.
Please forgive me for the length of this post but I needed to vent and you needed to know.
Thanks for the history of the 5.0 :) This is my first truck so am learning.

I love my 2021 5.0 Roush had some input supposedly. Super high quality Belt to the oil pump is stronger than previous chain and does not stretch like previous chain. Ring Pack was upgraded also.
Because of Roush's input on these 2 above engine issues after Superchargers were installed on the previous motors , we have a better 5.0 now.

6,000 milies. on my truck. no oil usage yet. :) (knock on wood) 2021 RCSB XLT FX4 All mine needs is a Roush cat back exhaust. too darn quiet..
FYI : I special ordered this truck with everything on it. but on the RCSB, Ford does not even offer the 3.5.. only 3.3 2.7 and 5.0 were my only choices.
Regards, Z

Southern Girl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 74 Bronco
I love my 2021 5.0 and have 5,000 miles on it. It sounds great and goes like the dickens. As the previous poster said, it's been updated for 2021 with some new tech. If it breaks I will fix it or get something else. Don't go down the rabbit hole looking for problems.
This sounds like me when I bought a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel. OUCH

I have a 2013 with a 5.0 engine and I love it. I'm not sure about these cylinders that start/stop in the new engine.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I had a platti 2020 ecoboost rental. It had to be 2.7 that thing was a dog until it built boost. I could see a 3.5 being decent. But there's no way I could go to the 2.7 from the 5.0.

The 5.0 does sound good tho... Especially in my rear view mirror
Common man, stop living in 2016... the 2021 3.5 is almost half a second slower in the 0-60 than the 5.0. In 2020, they ran identical times. Now the 3.3L...that thing is like a full 2-3 seconds slower than everything else.

Sponsored

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had a platti 2020 ecoboost rental. It had to be 2.7 that thing was a dog until it built boost. I could see a 3.5 being decent. But there's no way I could go to the 2.7 from the 5.0.

Common man, stop living in 2016... the 2021 3.5 is almost half a second slower in the 0-60 than the 5.0. In 2020, they ran identical times. Now the 3.3L...that thing is like a full 2-3 seconds slower than everything else.
The 5.0 is quicker than the 3.5L in 2021, everything else equal? Doesn't make much sense to me, but then again I've only seen specs on the powerboost 0-60 (which obviously is quicker). I would have thought it would still be slower, both from a weight perspective, and the power curve differences.

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I think you'll be happy. I bought the V8 because I'm pulling a camper and wanted the higher payload. I also went a little lighter on some of the options to keep the payload up. I think as far as driving with a camper in the mountains, it will depend on the mountains. I live in NC, not Colorado. The 3.5 V6 would have pulled better, but you're also working those turbos harder. They get the same mileage too. I didn't want to bump up to the Powerboost, that was just out of the range I wanted to pay.

I was originally going to go with the 2.7, but again I wanted more payload....
Does the 5.0 have a higher payload? I was looking at the technical specs chart when I was originally placing my order and decided against the 5.0 on my first build because the payload was lower than the 3.5L (albeit very little difference in the payload). Of course I ended up canceling that order for a Powerboost and lost any payload I was hoping to have.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0

Not sure where you’re looking but the ecoboost is almost a second faster than the 5.0 in 0-60 and in the quarter mile…

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Does the 5.0 have a higher payload? I was looking at the technical specs chart when I was originally placing my order and decided against the 5.0 on my first build because the payload was lower than the 3.5L (albeit very little difference in the payload). Of course I ended up canceling that order for a Powerboost and lost any payload I was hoping to have.
The final payload numbers will be mines the options you get. Sunroom, power tailgate.... etc will take away from payload.

Ford F-150 Concerns on the v8 over the 3.5 v6 1631293944279

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The final payload numbers will be mines the options you get. Sunroom, power tailgate.... etc will take away from payload.

1631293944279.png
Ah I see. Looks like depending on the differences in cab/2wd/4wd has small changes in payload. On the first truck I ordered I had a 10lb difference between the two, but still close enough to each other to be a wash for that spec.
Sponsored