OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
what was the body work
and i agree it seems they or someone unplugged the truck camera and MOVED the vehicle while it was unplugged..you said work was done a year or so ago?

re-calibration might fix it,
but my question is why did it take a long time to manifest? which begs to ask..if the connector was or is not seated properly and it vibrated loose to set the fault instead
Yeah, so the work I had done was all outside body work. Bed, bumper, some cab. But the repair place always asked me to unplug my dash cam when I was taking it in "for privacy of their techs". Totally fair. This last time I was having them look at something with my parking sensors (8 months after the repair) and he called me and asked about the dash cam. I said "oh shoot I forgot. Just unplug it". He said ok. Then when I picked up the truck he said that the warning was there. I think you're right that they dicked around where the dashcam connected and maybe mucked with the OEM cam connection or something?

So, repaired May 23, took back to repair shop 2 weeks ago. Issue manifested when I picked up the truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
They likely don’t know what they were doing and unplugged the camera instead of /in addition to the dash cam.

just have to find a place you can run the calibrations.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Not that I know of, however I didn't have it happen until it went to the repair shop (not the dealer if that wasn't clear) to check a different issue. I wonder if they reset the calibration by accident?

I'm unclear how to actually perform the calibration in Forscan though. If I can fix it myself that'd save me a trip or two or three back to the dealer while they blame the dash cam ;)
Yes you can do it your self.

THey must have reset learned values then. Send me your vin and I can see what they attempted

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Here ya go. Thanks!
1FTFW1ED7NFB83640
They did attempt an alignment. Not sure why the 1578 code is there. I dont see a reset of learned values.

Did you have the windshield replaced ?

Reactions: DK4

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
They did attempt an alignment. Not sure why the 1578 code is there. I dont see a reset of learned values.

Did you have the windshield replaced ?
No the windshield has never been replaced. I actually took it back to them because I thought my backup sensors weren’t working correctly. I only had the truck for 16 days before it was crashed into so I didn’t have much experience with the way the sensors operate. I didn’t realize that the middle two are 59” distance but the outer two are only 20”. So I thought that “they only work when really close” might have had something to do with the fact that I asked them to replace my bumper harness with one that supports trailer camera and TPMS but that part was well researched thanks to this forum and is working perfectly.

So basically it seems like my lack of knowledge of the operation of the sensors led me back to the repair facility and their lack of knowledge of the cameras led to them changing something that caused the error.

So at this point Ford won’t cover more work under my warranty and I can see why. Unless of course it’s complete coincidence and the camera is dead but then I’d see communication DTC’s right?

With the learned values still being present is it possible to somehow trick it into thinking the calibration has been done and continue usin the stored values?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
No the windshield has never been replaced. I actually took it back to them because I thought my backup sensors weren’t working correctly. I only had the truck for 16 days before it was crashed into so I didn’t have much experience with the way the sensors operate. I didn’t realize that the middle two are 59” distance but the outer two are only 20”. So I thought that “they only work when really close” might have had something to do with the fact that I asked them to replace my bumper harness with one that supports trailer camera and TPMS but that part was well researched thanks to this forum and is working perfectly.

So basically it seems like my lack of knowledge of the operation of the sensors led me back to the repair facility and their lack of knowledge of the cameras led to them changing something that caused the error.

So at this point Ford won’t cover more work under my warranty and I can see why. Unless of course it’s complete coincidence and the camera is dead but then I’d see communication DTC’s right?

With the learned values still being present is it possible to somehow trick it into thinking the calibration has been done and continue usin the stored values?
No.. We would have to have a 1 to 1 copy of the original as builld to even try.

Youll just have to get Forscan and try to calibrate it.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Ok
No.. We would have to have a 1 to 1 copy of the original as builld to even try.

Youll just have to get Forscan and try to calibrate it.
Ok I can definitely try. I do have my original as builts backed up but I’ve made a decent number of small changes that I’d prefer not to walk back since it’s all dialed in the way I like it.

How exactly do I perform the calibration in Forscan? I found where to reset the IPMA and tried that but didn’t see where to start a calibration.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ok

Ok I can definitely try. I do have my original as builts backed up but I’ve made a decent number of small changes that I’d prefer not to walk back since it’s all dialed in the way I like it.

How exactly do I perform the calibration in Forscan? I found where to reset the IPMA and tried that but didn’t see where to start a calibration.
Wrench section

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ok thanks! I’m new to Forscan and have really only done “easy mode” in the modules.
Anything specific I should know to give myself the best chance at a successful calibration?
Its best to start the process in a Gas station near the exit. You need a road with clear marked lines on both sides of truck and you have to be able to drive over 40MPH

I start the process near the exit and once it starts I drive into the road and let it do its thing.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Ok cool, so highway driving it is! Do I have to be stopped to begin the process? There's a weigh scale near me that I could pull off onto the highway from. Also, is it ok if I hit a traffic light? We don't have a ton of totally uninterrupted highways near me.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ok cool, so highway driving it is! Do I have to be stopped to begin the process? There's a weigh scale near me that I could pull off onto the highway from. Also, is it ok if I hit a traffic light? We don't have a ton of totally uninterrupted highways near me.
Yea, you gotta be stopped to start it. When I did mine, I had to stop for a few red lights and it still worked.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Yea, you gotta be stopped to start it. When I did mine, I had to stop for a few red lights and it still worked.
Wonderful thanks! I'll do it soon. Hopefully that will have it sorted and I won't have to go back to the dealer.

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
Just want to take the temperature of folks here so I understand what might be going on. The truck was in at the dealer today but goes back in a couple weeks so I want to be prepped. They had it all day but couldn't fully diagnose the camera error.

I have a 22 XLT 302 PB. I got it Dec 2022 and had a dashcam installed at a reputable shop the following week after delivery. Two weeks ago I started the truck and got a "Front Camera Error, See Service" (or close to that) and then "Collision Detection Disabled" warning on startup of the vehicle.

I am just dubious that a camera I had installed a year prior could suddenly be why my OEM camera fails. Is there reasonable case to think this would happen? I don't think the install shop would have spliced into the wires for the OEM cams. If they did and it's failed because of that, what recourse would I have with the installer of the dash cam?
I have a BlackVue on camera professionally install on a 21 Platty
No issues .

Thanks!
I have a
Sponsored