Cold weather driving

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 highlander, 2007 Ranger
I’m Curious, we had a blast of -40 (no wind chill) last month and I’m wondering if anyone out there with a powerboost attempted driving at the time. How did it affect the truck? We have weather like that every year for about 2 weeks here and we still all need to get to work. Any issues?
Sponsored

BigBluegen14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
Would have been fun to see some answers here as I'm getting my truck as winter sets in to Montreal. I'd have to think they tested the truck for those conditions. Maybe will rely less on the electric motor and act more like just a 3.5 Ecoboost.

Winnipeg Jay

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid (Ordered)
Occupation
Engineer
Oh... my Powerboost will get a good cold-weather test in Manitoba. I think it's at the dealership (finally)!

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Just found this thread. We have had ours since August in Manitoba. - 38 or lower at points. No issues have arisen. Pretty impressed.

OP
OP

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I survived the first bout of -40 with my XLT PowerBoost. It did well I must say. I did make sure to plug it in, the one night when I forgot to, it made sure I knew by being whiny. It was -38 that morning and I had to get to work.

I do notice a couple things while driving in sub zero weather, all of which can be expected.
-the truck does not enter into full electric mode as often
-I’m averaging 21 L/100Km as opposed to about 9-12 in the summer.
-the truck is toasty warm even when it is running just on battery.
All in all I’m pretty happy

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I survived the first bout of -40 with my XLT PowerBoost. It did well I must say. I did make sure to plug it in, the one night when I forgot to, it made sure I knew by being whiny. It was -38 that morning and I had to get to work.

I do notice a couple things while driving in sub zero weather, all of which can be expected.
-the truck does not enter into full electric mode as often
-I’m averaging 21 L/100Km as opposed to about 9-12 in the summer.
-the truck is toasty warm even when it is running just on battery.
All in all I’m pretty happy
One more thing, the touch screen and the digital part of the instrument panel are not as responsive.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Yup all to be expected I agree. I remember the whining years ago on company vehicles in the extremes of winter - 45 to - 50C. That and seats which felt solid instead of padded and tires that are like concrete with flat spots till you have driven about 20kms. Fun times.
Sponsored