Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Gotta love sub zero New England nights!

Window exploded when I was driving last night due to the cold. Thought I was being shot at! Probably not much I could have done to prevent that one and I’ve seen numerous pictures from others in the area with the same thing happening to them last night.

The mirror damage must have happened when the auto fold opened it. I didn’t notice this until I was inspecting my window I guess I’ll be disabling autofold during the winter going forward.

Ford F-150 Cold weather damage - window exploded and mirror damage from autofold A8BB9700-4019-425B-A291-782418A3E04D

Ford F-150 Cold weather damage - window exploded and mirror damage from autofold 715116C7-E8BB-4AFC-8412-2689FAD0E865
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
What causes that? How cold was it?

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
Yes, be sure to disable autofold mirrors during the winter months!

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Yes, be sure to disable autofold mirrors during the winter months!
I haven’t had an issue with it, when my mirrors freeze, my mirrors disengage from the motors. No damage occurs

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've had mine freeze in place closed on my last truck and didn't thaw until a day later. I'm ok with having them stay open during the winter months.

Sponsored

mla_anderson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That doesn't seem right at all. How cold was it?

We get below even -40 around here and I've never heard of anyone having their windows shatter.

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
It was -8 F here last night so no -40. From what I have been reading the window issue is fairly common. I’ve seen about a dozen other people in the area had this happen over the past 24 hrs. I did a few minutes of research and it seems like it happens more than you would think.

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
Daaaamn. We had a day that was -20 last month (-56 wind chill) and mine was all good. I think with the last gen this was kind of a common problem, but this is the first I've heard of it happening to this gen. I also keep autofold off in the winter.

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
That mirror looks like impact damage from something which very likely took out the window also.
It’s possible but I didn’t hear or see any impact before the glass shattering and there are no other scratches/scrapes/ dents anywhere else

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
What causes that? How cold was it?
Usually it’s not the cold per se that does it, but rather the change from cold to warm after startup. I had a whole windshield in another vehicle explode once just due to the defroster on a merely ~0F morning. It was outrageously cold in New England last night, so I’m not entirely shocked if the vehicle was parked outside. Often all it takes is a tiny little chip or scratch you don’t even notice.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Yea something is off right here!! I have -10/-20 for weeks at a time and nothing like this has ever happened!! that mirror NO way thats from cold, not a chance! The window is odd too, I have lived in Alaska for 20+ years cold as Heck and never a glass issue--

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I think they have some teens running around with a hammer breaking windows, mirrors. I'm in MN and it gets cold here on occasion and I've never heard of any windows breaking because of the cold. We do have errant teens here from time to time and I know they can wreak havoc when they want to. Amazing what dark nights and teenage boys with a car and a baseball bat can do to farmer's mailboxes.

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I had my windshield on my truck spider crack after running the defroster to melt ice on the windshield. Remote started truck and let run for 15 minutes. Got in swiped the wipers and WTF the windshield was cracked. I must have had a chip that allowed water to get in the glass freeze and break the windshield. First time this happened to me but I have saw it before on a buddy's truck.
Sponsored