Cold start Powerboost noise

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I don't doubt that the dealer that found 1.5 qts low was accurate. However, I cannot figure out how that happened. Nothing makes sense, no evidence of leakage and I cannot believe the dealer (a different one) tech who changed the oill & filter did not setup the oil level properly. So where'd it go? Second it appears that Ford has written it off as "topped up the oil... noise cleared" without any consideration of whether damage was done by those cold starts that made noise. I had expected them to drop the pan and inspect for debris from a bearing. To my knowledge (& its not on the charging sheet) they did not do that. So I'm going to get in the record the no inspection was done and that therefore some damage may remain undiscovered.
Sponsored

Papp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Powerboost Lariat
My 22 powerboost is making the same noise. I noticed it this am 0 degrees on a dead flat driveway.

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20222 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Electrician
I may be late to the game here but my 2022 Power Boost is doing the exact same thing making that horrible noise. It lives outside. On cold starts in the morning it makes a terrible noise. Has anyone gotten an idea as to what it is? Has Ford recognized the problem? Man all these issues with this truck. Not what I expected out of a 70K vehicle tsk tsk.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Further info. I went back to my dealer with a similar problem that included the shifter resetting to park when cold. Experimented with warmup times and it got down to less than 2 minutes warmup it would do this. Dealer went in and dropped the transmission pan for inspection. Found an O-Ring folded over allowing leakage. Replaced it and no issue since.

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
As mentioned, first suspect transmission fluid level.
Gets me thinking? Is there a leak? I took delivery of the vehicle. It was not a thought to check the transmission fluid level. I will when I get off work for sure. Thanks.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Gets me thinking? Is there a leak? I took delivery of the vehicle. It was not a thought to check the transmission fluid level. I will when I get off work for sure. Thanks.
There have been a few entries saying that the as delivered transmission fill was low by a quart or two.

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
There have been a few entries saying that the as delivered transmission fill was low by a quart or two.
Man I can't win! I want to close my eyes and say I made a great $70K decision. Looking like not the case. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm not saying that there isn't a leak, but I am betting that the combination of low fluid AND cold temperatures might be manifesting the fluid level that warmer temperatures cover up?

Sponsored

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I'm not saying that there isn't a leak, but I am betting that the combination of low fluid AND cold temperatures might be manifesting the fluid level that warmer temperatures cover up?
Understood. It's nice to get a piece of kind and having others that have had the same issues as you. To get an idea on how to troubleshoot to get a resolution or find the root cause. Thanks. Much appreciated 👍

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
For your sake I hope it's just a fluid level issue. As inconvenient as it is to check and correct the fluid level on these modern dipstick-less transmissions, it's still a better problem to have than a failing component in the transmission itself.

Good luck.
Let us know

Hfyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB
I’d bet you have a leak, mine leaking and the only reason I know is that my garage floor is light color. If my truck lived outside I’d probably not have noticed. FWIW having the fluid low vs. to spec. definitely makes a difference in how it shifts. After I went in for diagnosis they topped it up to full, three weeks later and the leak continuing my shifts are starting to be not as good. All of this is on my 4500km truck.

REDAG98

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat FX4 PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue as well on the '21 PB. What's the consensus on what tramsission fluid to run in these, the original Motorcraft or something else?

Last edited:

mxlchgo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Fire Protection
Just had my noise maker fixed today. It was the passenger side windshield cowl was warped.
All nice and quiet now

Ford F-150 Cold start Powerboost noise 20240301_142314
Sponsored